+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens post-approval? What's all this passport business?

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Okay, thanks in advance for your patience in answering my dumb questions. ;D I've looked online at the CIC website (under "after you're approved") but I can't find the nuts and bolts of the process. So...

What happens once we're told we've been approved for permanent residency?

We have to send or bring our U.S. passports to Buffalo to get a visa of some sort attached? (That stays permanently in the passport? Or ... what?)

Or are we issued a Canadian passport?

Sorry to be so incredibly clueless. ::) ;D

PS: I'm a US citizen, applying outland/Buffalo.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bonacker said:
Okay, thanks in advance for your patience in answering my dumb questions. ;D I've looked online at the CIC website (under "after you're approved") but I can't find the nuts and bolts of the process. So...

What happens once we're told we've been approved for permanent residency?

We have to send or bring our U.S. passports to Buffalo to get a visa of some sort attached? (That stays permanently in the passport? Or ... what?)

Or are we issued a Canadian passport?

Sorry to be so incredibly clueless. ::) ;D

PS: I'm a US citizen, applying outland/Buffalo.
1. You will get a letter (email) requesting your passport from Buffalo. You send in your passport and about 3/4 weeks later you get it back with a single entry visa (COPR) You go to either a Border Port or fly into Canada and you will be "landed" i.e. become a permanent resident. A PR card will be send to you Canadian address 30 days later. You don't become a citizen, that is a separate process which requires 3 years residency as PR before you can apply. You can also hand deliver your passport to Buffalo on either Tues or Thursday, the letter will tell you which day. You deliver it in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. Then you following the same procedure as if you mailed it in.

PMM

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
After you land you should also go to get your SIN card, your health card, and if you drive go exchange your driver's license. Then you will have everything you need to get a job, access health care, etc.