+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if you don't surrender Indian passport?

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Like what are the consequences? It's been 4 years and it hadn't occured to me until now that the Indian passport had to be sent back to them. Never used it to travel or anything and tbh can't even find it anymore. Their website only talks about what happens within a 3 year window about penalty and stuff but nothing past 3 years.

Acquired foreign citizenship 4 years ago.
Never surrendered Indian passport.
Never traveled on Indian passport since acquisition.
Passport is probably lost.

Thanks for your help!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Like what are the consequences? It's been 4 years and it hadn't occured to me until now that the Indian passport had to be sent back to them. Never used it to travel or anything and tbh can't even find it anymore. Their website only talks about what happens within a 3 year window about penalty and stuff but nothing past 3 years.

Acquired foreign citizenship 4 years ago.
Never surrendered Indian passport.
Never traveled on Indian passport since acquisition.
Passport is probably lost.

Thanks for your help!
You won't be able to apply for OCI

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
You won't be able to apply for OCI
What if I don't need OCI? I found the passport.. wonder what will happen if I just mailed it to the high commission of India? No explanation, no return address, just standard mail delivered to them. I'm pretty sure if I tried to surrender they will try to ding me for something even if I haven't used it. Technically, I ceased to be a citizen when I acquired other citizenship and they just want me to cough out some money to formally renounce it but if the passport ends up in their possession, they have to do something with it?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
What if I don't need OCI? I found the passport.. wonder what will happen if I just mailed it to the high commission of India? No explanation, no return address, just standard mail delivered to them. I'm pretty sure if I tried to surrender they will try to ding me for something even if I haven't used it. Technically, I ceased to be a citizen when I acquired other citizenship and they just want me to cough out some money to formally renounce it but if the passport ends up in their possession, they have to do something with it?
Its $117+ for getting it done formally.

What you trying to do doesn't sound logical to me.
Instead keep it as a memento.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Its $117+ for getting it done formally.

What you trying to do doesn't sound logical to me.
Instead keep it as a memento.
Fair enough lol. The only thing which bothers me is since there's no pre-defined rule for how to handle it after 3 years, they are gonna cook up some new rules and make it difficult. The moment I create the application I increase my exposure so maybe you are right, I should just leave it alone.