+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if I got Married after I receive ITA or after I file e-APR?

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
How to update the status if a person gets married after ITA and before app submission? Because ITA is received after getting married as a SINGLE Applicant and online application is not allowing Applicant to change Marital status. @canuck_in_uk

Last edited:

DeepRaman658

Oct 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
I want to ask whether it is also applicable for a CEC candidate that they can add their outland spouse (newly wed) in their application after aor. Also, is there any resriction regarding their visit to India. Can they visit India after AOR anytime and get married?

VjolaBushaj

Feb 3, 2019
Hello everyone,
I want to ask whether it is also applicable for a CEC candidate that they can add their outland spouse (newly wed) in their application after aor. Also, is there any resriction regarding their visit to India. Can they visit India after AOR anytime and get married?
I believe you can add your spouse after AOR regardless you are FSW/CEC.

thrikgayathri

Sep 30, 2021
If I get married after e-APR and both our PR gets approved together, is it mandatory for the spouse to atleast visit Canada once in any specific time period? If so what is the time limit specified? Any exceptions to the case, if any?

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
Hi Guys,

I received my GCMS notes from CBSA today and I found note from officer as mentioned below. Can someone please guide as to what should be my next step in such situation and how this can impact final decision. It was my honest mistake not informing IRCC about change in my married status. I thought it would delay my PR process and I decided to wait until I get my PR and then start with sponsorship application. So I came back to canada after getting my PR and then applied for my spousal sponsorship application in Jan 2021. I really really hope they consider the genuineness and allow such honest mistake. Please advise if there’s anything that could be done from
My side to avoid negative impact of this officer’s note

please see below

file Comments: The wedding appears to have been performed in accordance with cultural norms. The applicant and sponsor are compatible in all aspects. They appear natural and comfortable in marriage and
post-marriage photographs. Evidence of marriageprovided appears satisfactory in its entirety suggesting
that relationship is genuine.
**NOTE: Sponsor married applicant on 26/02/2020 - He became a PR on
04/06/2020. Info on sponsor's file indicates marital status of sponsor as "single'. This indicates that sponsor was already married prior to his landing in Canada and he did not declare hig correct marital status at the time of landing. **No concerns seen in bona fides of relationship, however, in view of above case referred to officer for decision.

avneet01

May 31, 2017
No, if you marry after you've submitted your application your score will not be calculated.

You must inform IRCC about your change in marital status. You then have an option to update your application and add your spouse to your application as a dependent. If you wish to do so, a series of documents will be requested (several forms, police certificates, medical exam, etc.)

If you submit the medical exams upfront as well as corresponding police certificates not major delay to your application should be expected.

Also, your spouse's education and work experience will not be assessed.
What if we get married before receiving ITA? I recently got married but didn't inform IRCC about my marital status yet. Couple days back, I have received the ITA. What should I do now? I've updated my marital status to 'MARRIED' in the profile now that has created additional screen to upload spouse's documents but she does not have IELTS & ECA. If I select 'NO' to IELTS & Language Ability, will my points be reduced? Please advise.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
What if we get married before receiving ITA? I recently got married but didn't inform IRCC about my marital status yet. Couple days back, I have received the ITA. What should I do now? I've updated my marital status to 'MARRIED' in the profile now that has created additional screen to upload spouse's documents but she does not have IELTS & ECA. If I select 'NO' to IELTS & Language Ability, will my points be reduced? Please advise.
You will have to submit your application as married - There's no informing IRCC in this case since your application is not yet submitted.
Points will be recalculated. If it falls below the ITA cut-off, your application will be refused.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Technically, you are supposed to keep your profile up to date. This means that once your marital status changed you were supposed to update this accordingly in your profile. Since you didn't do that, you would have to submit your application as married just as @AishB indicated.

This means that you will have to do any ECA and gather all the documentation for your spouse, and your score will be recalculated accordingly and if the changes so that it falls below the cut-off your application will be rejected. So make sure you know exactly what your new score is before you actually submit the application and only do so if it is still above the cutoff for when you received the ITA, not other rounds of invitation.

If it does not fall at or above it, you should reject this ITA and go back into the pool and wait for a new ITA.