+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if I fail a G road test after getting G1?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it ok to take a rental car for Road Test when you are directly going from G1 to G as you are allowed to drive on foreign license. Now, if I take the rental car for the test and I fail the G test what happens ? Can I take my rental back by myself?
As long as the window for driving on the foreign licence still valid.

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
First off, I had to Google to find out just what the heck is a "G" license. Turns out it's an Ontario thing. When I grew up in Ontario, the usual start was a 90-day "Learner's License". Of course, times have changed.

I am writing here to point out that "Canada" has nothing to say about driver's licenses. Parliament cannot pass legislation in relation to that matter. It's constitutionally assigned to the provinces and provincial legislation varies. There are no "Canadian" rules.

So it is wrong to say that "Canada does not allow you to have two driver's licenses at the same time." Moreover, I fail to see how any province could impose such a ban. Makes no sense. I have long held licences for British Columbia, California and the Philippines, having owned a home in each location at the same time. I double dare British Columbia to tell me that I cannot maintain or use my California license when home in LA, or my Phils license at home there. The comment about "even if they let you keep it" makes meme think any provincial government would have to wrestle by CA or Phils licenses from my cold dead hands. I would absolutely refuse to surrender them.

However, I agree with the rather obvious statement that, if you have an Ontario license and get stopped while driving, of your you should produce your Ontario license. If, at that point, you pull out a foreign license, you are an idiot.
Good point, I should have said "Ontario does not allow" instead of "Canada".

As you said, G License is an Ontario thing. Every province uses its own ways of naming or classifying different licenses (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_licences_in_Canada).

Regarding the taking of your licenses by Ontario, Ontario can let you keep your license, but may not let you drive with that license after a certain time, so you are free to keep it. But if you are applying for an Ontario license, then you are required to report if you have an/other license/s. As you receive an Ontario license, you are required to not keep other licenses. They do not grab that license from your cold dead hands, they just penalize you. It seems that the penalty is not fixed either, it is decided by courts. If you have a license from another province or from certain countries, you are required to exchenge that license for an Ontario one. For licenses from other places, it is not an exchange procedure, you take certain written and driving tests (as is the topic of discussion here) and you are informed that you should not have another license. Whether you keep or destroy your other license is your choice, you just don't use it anywhere.

By the way, I am not defending this situation. I think it does not make sense. But it is what it is... Another interesting thing is that Ontario allows you to have either an Ontario Photo ID Card or an Ontario Driver's License, not both. If you get one, you have to give up the other.

Last edited:

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
Nothing to challenge, except your unsupported opinion. If you are going to spout law, you should be prepared to cite some authority.
"When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence." (see: https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence)

"'A driver may not apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver's licence,' says Section 35.1e of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act. Generally, you can only have one driver's licence and it has to be from the province where you're living. If you had the out-of-province licence first, you were supposed to surrender it and apply for an Ontario licence within 60 days of moving, says Ontario's Ministry of Transportation." (see: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/is-it-illegal-to-carry-two-valid-licences-from-two-different-provinces/article25730125/#:~:text="A driver may not apply,province where you're living.)

"35 (1) No person shall, [...] (e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence"
(see https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08?search=Highway+Traffic+Act#BK75)

heck_i_am

Jan 3, 2022
Is it ok to take a rental car for Road Test when you are directly going from G1 to G as you are allowed to drive on foreign license. Now, if I take the rental car for the test and I fail the G test what happens ? Can I take my rental back by myself?
It is okay as long as you do not get caught! :p
The problem is that as soon as you have your G1 license, you are not supposed to retain another (your foreign) license. So it is a very funny thing that by law, you can rent and drive a car within your first 60 days in Ontario but as soon as you get a G1 license you can't do that without having another person in your car and you cannot use your foreign driver's license. But I suppose you can take the rental back if you have someone with you with a full license of several years.

tito bravo

Jul 16, 2023
You should be a very lucky G1 person to get a regular car rental. But just in case you do get one and fail ur G, technically ur back to square G1. You should return the rental accompanied by either a full G driver (non hi-way route) or a driving instructor (major/high speed hi-way route)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be a very lucky G1 person to get a regular car rental. But just in case you do get one and fail ur G, technically ur back to square G1. You should return the rental accompanied by either a full G driver (non hi-way route) or a driving instructor (major/high speed hi-way route)
I don't think it involves any luck if the renter showed his/her foreign driver license.