+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What form do I bring for Criminal Record check in Japan?

Canucklehead

May 29, 2014
Hi

Not sure if anyone out there has applied for a criminal record check in Japan but we did so last week. They asked us when we come to pick it up to bring a document from Canada IMM. IMM hasn't requested a criminal record check from us yet as we haven't even sent off our application. I've been told and also read that many are sending off their applications with the criminal record checks just to help their application. My friend in fact did this and he seems to think he brought the 0008 IMM form with him to the police station but he can't recall for sure.

Anyone else live in Japan and have any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/japan.asp

How to obtain a police certificate – Japan

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Hi,

I got mine from Chiba Prefecture. They told me to print out a visa application (work permit, study permit, tourist, doesn't matter) form available on the Canadian consulate in Tokyo's website, and fill it out and bring it. They realize that I am not applying for a visa this way and the document is really meaningless, but they just want some kind of paper to file.

I was told that when I got my fingerprints taken, and brought the paper along when I went to pick up the police certificate. They took it without really checking what's there. My understanding is that it's just a red tape thing and they have to tick those boxes.

Canucklehead

May 29, 2014
Kayaker said:
Hi,

I was told that when I got my fingerprints taken, and brought the paper along when I went to pick up the police certificate. They took it without really checking what's there. My understanding is that it's just a red tape thing and they have to tick those boxes.
This was a big help. That's the vibe I got from my friend, too. But we have to drive 90 minutes to the place so I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks for helping! Hopefully there are no hiccups. :)

MayForever_12312015

Star Member
Mar 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[quote author=canuck_in_uk

How to obtain a police certificate – Japan

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate.

[/quote]

Hello, we submitted our application last December and thank God, after 5 months we got our AOR2 already.
I am requested now to submit Japan police certificate since I lived as a student in Kansai a few years back.

My problem now is where to get this form requesting for a police clearance.
Earlier today I requested the immigration office to send me a copy of the form and got the following responses:

1st reply:
----- Original Message to MANIL (IMMIGRATION) /Message d’origine à MANIL (IMMIGRATION) -----
We confirm receipt of your email to the Manila Visa Office.

We will review your message shortly and if you do not receive a reply within our service standards (28 days), this means that the information requested is available on our websites www and www or your application is still within processing times.

2nd reply:

We received your email regarding file number XXXXXX on 02 June 2016. We note that the file was received on December.
If you have sent us this email to report important changes regarding your application, we will add this information to your file. This email serves as your confirmation of receipt for these documents. Please be assured that this information will be brought to the attention of the appropriate authority.
We note that this file is currently within processing standards. We do not respond to status enquiries if the application is within normal processing times.
-----

THERE WAS NO ATTACHMENT. THEY DIDN'T SEND ME A COPY OF THE REQUEST LETTER TO THE JAPANESE POLICE OFFICE :(

Anyone who can help me please on what I should do next? I called the JP embassy in PH earlier and I was told processing takes 2-3 months if I appy from Manila, so I plan to fly to Japan and file directly to their Police Office which takes 10 days to 3 weeks only. But my problem is on the request from CIC. Can you help me please what to do?

Thanks!!!

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Print and fill out the form under Appendix A and give this to the consulate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#appendixA

I haven't sent in my application for sponsorship yet (so I haven't gotten a request) but they accepted this form and allowed me to get the check without question. In fact, the consulate's website recommends just printing this form anyhow.

EDIT: By the way, I was in Canada and went to the Japanese consulate there, so I don't know if this form will actually be accepted in a non-English speaking country (such as Japan itself).

kawafam0919

Star Member
Jul 7, 2015
japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
30-Dec-2015
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2016
Med's Done....
03-Oct-2015
My partner got his check from the police station in Osaka and I am pretty sure he just brought appendix B and (I thiiiink) A from the link provided above. Plus he had some proof ready to show that he needed his police check for the application like just the instructions on the website or something. But it was really easy! He just showed the appendix B (and if he brought it, A...sorry I can't recall that part! But he def brought B) and got it done no problem. Then we were able to sent it in with our application :)

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Good mention, Kawafam! I had forgotten about form B.

The form in Appendix B is so that the police will do the fingerprinting. I didn't actually need that form (in Canada) as the consulate just sent me to a professional fingerprint shop. If anyone is planning to go to the police, they'll probably need form B, while the consulate will more likely just require form A. At least, this has been my experience (again, in Canada).