+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does "randomly selected" mean for Online Application

sinou39

Nov 29, 2017
Hello fellow forum members, I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam already, so I apologize for yet another thread on this topic.

So what does "randomly selected" even mean for a citizenship application? Unlike EE or other immigration programs, there is no "invitation to apply" for a Citizenship Application. It is always initiated by the person that wishes to acquire citizenship status. So given this mode of application, what does "randomly selected" even mean. CIC doesn't care if any or all qualifying permanent residents apply for Canadian Citizenship.

I hope this is my last question on the topic. I have already qualified to apply but waiting to get this clarified before I pull the trigger on sending in my application (online or via snail mail). I don't care too much about processing times as I am not in a hurry. I only need my application to count and not be ignored. I would prefer applying online as it seems like an easier process, as long as my application isn't discarded.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: bruno5000 and Max00

Max00

Mar 4, 2021
I guess no one has an exact answer ... in my opinion if you are not in hurry and you don’t care about processing time as you said , go ahead and apply by paper.. it’s a clear process not like blurry online one !!

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My partner applied last week.. she just answered the eligibility section and it let her apply. I don’t think they “select” you and invite you to apply. Probably still on pilot ? It was extremely easy to apply tho and I was very jealous since I did paper based 2yrs ago & was a nightmare ( printing paper, post office, money for shipping etc)

maha89

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
My partner applied last week.. she just answered the eligibility section and it let her apply. I don’t think they “select” you and invite you to apply. Probably still on pilot ? It was extremely easy to apply tho and I was very jealous since I did paper based 2yrs ago & was a nightmare ( printing paper, post office, money for shipping etc)
Hey Carl, how did your partner apply online? Is there a specific link? I care about the application time, and I don't know what randomly selected people mean either?? They say (e-app) but I did download it and there is nothing in there