+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does my apprenticeship count as?

PaddyK94

Nov 15, 2016
Can't find much info about apprenticeships...

I did a 4 year apprenticeship in Engineering, I'm dual-skilled so it is both electrical and mechanical. It was continuous, paid, full-time work with one day a week at the local college where I earned a National Certificate (NC) and then Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Engineered Systems. This, coupled with my SVQ3 earned through the practical work on the factory, gave me my Modern Apprenticeship Certificate, meaning I am a qualified engineer.

But I can't find out what this counts as on the points system. Can I count any of it as work experience? Or is it all under the education bracket? And what category of Education does it come under, I'm assuming the "program of 3 years or longer?"

Thanks in advance for any info guys.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
PaddyK94 said:

I did a 4 year apprenticeship in Engineering, I'm dual-skilled so it is both electrical and mechanical. It was continuous, paid, full-time work with one day a week at the local college where I earned a National Certificate (NC) and then Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Engineered Systems. This, coupled with my SVQ3 earned through the practical work on the factory, gave me my Modern Apprenticeship Certificate, meaning I am a qualified engineer.

But I can't find out what this counts as on the points system. Can I count any of it as work experience? Or is it all under the education bracket? And what category of Education does it come under, I'm assuming the "program of 3 years or longer?"

Thanks in advance for any info guys.
I'm going to assume it only comes as work towards a qualification. What country so you study in?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
PaddyK94 said:
apologies, should have mentioned all this was done in Scotland
Have you had your qualification assessed yet? (Sent it to Canada to get the Canadian equivalent?)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PaddyK94 said:

Interesting... I think you're going to have to get your credential assessment done first, but in Canada, engineering is a university-based educational degree program (and professional licensing in most cases), it is not classified as a "trade" and therefore is outside of the apprenticeship system.

It may also be a language/terminology difference, I would suggest finding your NOC for your apprentice work - you select the NOC that most closely matches your duties and responsibilities (rather than job title).

In any case, you will likely be able to use your work experience.

dashenjia

Sep 25, 2021
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).
Hi, if I have valid PGWP and work as apprentice electrician, does my working hours counted as experience for CEC program?

Reactions: Panther72

dashenjia

Sep 25, 2021
Yes, if NOC is skilled in NOC A, B or 0.
Thank you for the reply. I checked on the website. Noc of electrician is 7241. There is no specific noc for apprentice electrician. But apprentice electrician is under the title 7241. I hope it is fine.

Panther72

Aug 17, 2023
Hi, if I have valid PGWP and work as apprentice electrician, does my working hours counted as experience for CEC program?

Hi @Naturgrl, Does it count or not, Please update the information. Do you get PR that way Already? thank you for reading, I am very grateful for your advice.

Ak345

Mar 26, 2021

Hi @Naturgrl, Does it count or not, Please update the information. Do you get PR that way Already? thank you for reading, I am very grateful for your advice.
bro any update..?? Did Ur apprenticeship count as experience or not???