+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does AIP have to do with university?

A1S

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
I see a lot of people saying that they NEED an AIP or else they won't be able to register for their courses or that the university will cancel their admission if they don't get AIP within the next few days. What does this mean and do all universities need it? My university, the University of Waterloo hasn't informed me regarding any such condition/restriction. Also, is it easier to get a visa for postgrad courses, such as a Masters or PhD, or undergraduate, Bachelors courses ..... does that have an impact on the chances you have for approval/rejection?

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I’m not entirely sure if this is correct, but I think you can’t legally start school online without an AIP...or at least, I imagine that’s true because the letter specifically notes “you may commence your studies online.”

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
And to your second question: I’m not sure, but I applied later than many people (July 10) as a US citizen from the US and already received my AIP - I’m in a MA program

A1S

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
I’m not entirely sure if this is correct, but I think you can’t legally start school online without an AIP...or at least, I imagine that’s true because the letter specifically notes “you may commence your studies online.”
I know that the letter says that, but I don't think that it's a legal requirement.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Since no one else has replied I will share more. It may just be because after getting an AIP one is more likely to be approved for the full permit. I’m guessing people on here have been waiting for a long time and have decided that if they don’t receive even just an AIP before their school’s tuition deadline, they won’t take the chance of rejection and lose their money.

tejas_canada

Aug 22, 2020
For Spring intakes, people could start their studies without any visa. Makes sense as you study online, you are not going to Canada, so no one cares about your medical or backgrounds, that may harm the country, so for online class visa wasn't required.
But, surprisingly, for fall intakes, the university are asking for visa for online classes even.

Fatima98

Star Member
Aug 24, 2020
Hello,

theres some confusion by few people about AIP needed for starting online classes.Each university is different. So email the international student office. My university for example, McGill, has allowed us to start online classes even if we have not received AIP but we can show proof that we have applied for it and are waiting for it. Other quebec students can also show CAQ letters as proof of having applied for permit. We have been given time till mid November to show study permits. So talk to your own university and see what they require.
Hope this helps!

MadMax82

Aug 9, 2020
Hello,

theres some confusion by few people about AIP needed for starting online classes.Each university is different. So email the international student office. My university for example, McGill, has allowed us to start online classes even if we have not received AIP but we can show proof that we have applied for it and are waiting for it. Other quebec students can also show CAQ letters as proof of having applied for permit. We have been given time till mid November to show study permits. So talk to your own university and see what they require.
Hope this helps!
Concordia University allow students to enroll in course with CAQ

Reactions: vikrantsh30

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Quebec students must have a CAQ.

A study permit is not needed.

Some colleges might be nervous and set their own stipulation outside what is required

Last edited:

vikrantsh30

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
Concordia has even said that even if I start school without a permit and at any point during the semester my study permit is refused, I'll be given an option to refund or defer. Atleast the university is making a conscious effort to help international students.

vikrantsh30

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
Yes and in case of deferring, tuition will be carried over. But I don't want to live in uncertainty forever, 21 September is the last date for deferral. I'll wait till then.

MadMax82

Aug 9, 2020
Yes and in case of deferring, tuition will be carried over. But I don't want to live in uncertainty forever, 21 September is the last date for deferral. I'll wait till then.
Did you pay your tuition fees. I think the due date for paying tuition fees for fall semester is December 31. Is that right?

vikrantsh30

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
Sorry don't know anything about deadline. I was actually scheduled to start school in May. Had paid one year tuition way back in February.