+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what documents to keep to apply for citizenship

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Hey

I have got my PR and am landing in 2 weeks time (inland landing)

So that I am ready to apply for citizenship in just over 4 years (although hoping the new rules will come in where my time a temp resident and it changing from 4 out of 6 years to 3 out of 5 will mean I dont have to wait as long).

I just want to know which documents to keep safe. I know the COPR is very important and i did the IELTS general test so I assume they accept that to show you can speak English

Is there anything else apart from maintaining residency status and having the required amount of time needed?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CanBC said:
Hey

So that I am ready to apply for citizenship in just over 4 years (although hoping the new rules will come in where my time a temp resident and it changing from 4 out of 6 years to 3 out of 5 will mean I dont have to wait as long).

I just want to know which documents to keep safe. I know the COPR is very important and i did the IELTS general test so I assume they accept that to show you can speak English

Is there anything else apart from maintaining residency status and having the required amount of time needed?

Thanks
1. Passports and a record of your entry and exits from Canada.

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We don't know what rules will be in effect after 3-4 years and what docs IRCC will mandate. So, you may keep all the docs you receive from Canada in due course - rental agreement, T4, Notice of assessments, offer letters, RoE etc. in safe place. Also, make a practice to scan and keep in some cloud storage (Dropbox/ skydrive/Google drive) etc.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanBC said:
Hey

Thanks

You will need to list all the addresses you resided in the 6 years b4 you apply 4 citizenship. so write them down. If u r going to stay in a furnished apartment at the begining, ask for a copy of the contract.
Yes keep the IELTS cerificate you will need it when u apply 4 citizenship.
If you are coming from any of the GCC countries, make sure to CANCEL your residency visa there.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
ajithpl said:
We don't know what rules will be in effect after 3-4 years and what docs IRCC will mandate. So, you may keep all the docs you receive from Canada in due course - rental agreement, T4, Notice of assessments, offer letters, RoE etc. in safe place. Also, make a practice to scan and keep in some cloud storage (Dropbox/ skydrive/Google drive) etc.
No we dont know what rules will be in effect by then - I am hoping they are not going to make it more difficult though

Why would they want my rental agreement out of interest? What is an RoE?

All my documents for my PR and my work permit applications are on different computers and backed upon an external hard drive, memory stick and I have emailed them to myself using my email address

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Loulou79 said:
You will need to list all the addresses you resided in the 6 years b4 you apply 4 citizenship. so write them down. If u r going to stay in a furnished apartment at the begining, ask for a copy of the contract.
If you are coming from any of the GCC countries, make sure to CANCEL your residency visa there.
Why 6 years? I can apply for citizenship after 4 years providing I have the right number of days is what I thought? It isnt really an issue though as I have to show 5 years worth of addresses when renewing my PR card.

I have been living in Canada for over a year now so that doesnt matter about a contract. I am already established out here.

Im European so the GCC country thing isn't relevant to me

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanBC said:
Why 6 years? I can apply for citizenship after 4 years providing I have the right number of days is what I thought? It isnt really an issue though as I have to show 5 years worth of addresses when renewing my PR card.

I have been living in Canada for over a year now so that doesnt matter about a contract. I am already established out here.

Im European so the GCC country thing isn't relevant to me
In the citizenship application and as per the new rule 4/6 years residency requirements, u will be asked to provide the last 6 years' addresses.
You keep the rental contract in case you were given the RQ to prove that u actually lived in the country.
Also keep hard copies of your bank statments for the same reason. a friend of mine was given the RQ and was asked to submit all her monthly bank statements. she did not have hard copies. had to pay $10 for each monthly statement for 3 years worth of statements!

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Loulou79 said:
In the citizenship application and as per the new rule 4/6 years residency requirements, u will be asked to provide the last 6 years' addresses.
You keep the rental contract in case you were given the RQ to prove that u actually lived in the country.
Also keep hard copies of your bank statments for the same reason. a friend of mine was given the RQ and was asked to submit all her monthly bank statements. she did not have hard copies. had to pay $10 for each monthly statement for 3 years worth of statements!
But I can still apply for citizenship after 4 years (providing I met the requirements)

I don't know what RQ means?

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you can apply after fulfilling these 2 conditions:

You must be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 1,460 days within the six (6) years immediately before applying for citizenship. You must also be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 183 days in each of four calendar years that are partially or fully in the six (6) years immediately before applying for citizenship.

RQ= Resident Questionnaire

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Loulou79 said:
Yes you can apply after fulfilling these 2 conditions:

You must be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 1,460 days within the six (6) years immediately before applying for citizenship. You must also be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 183 days in each of four calendar years that are partially or fully in the six (6) years immediately before applying for citizenship.

RQ= Resident Questionnaire
Ok thanks. I know the C-6/C-24 bill is looking at getting rid of the 183 days of each of the 4 years but I will wait and see what it will be like in 4 years time.

Luckily I have physically copies of all my rental contracts in Canada and I do online banking so my statements are always available for me

Aminow

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
07-07-2015 Updated Schedule A background declaration
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
02-01-2016
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-02-2016
LANDED..........
22-08-2016
Loulou79 said:
Will I have to take new IELTS test to apply for citizenship? The IELTS we did for initial PR application will be expired by the time we apply for citizenship.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
From what I understand, you keep the IELTS certificate as its proof of your language ability for your citizenship application.

It doesn't matter if it has expired.

maybe just keep everything from your PR application as it will make things easier

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aminow said:
Will I have to take new IELTS test to apply for citizenship? The IELTS we did for initial PR application will be expired by the time we apply for citizenship.
Step 2: Did you immigrate to Canada through a federal immigration program requiring a third-party test result for language ability? (e.g. Federal Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class)
If yes: Were the tests and results the following:

Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G), not the academic version.
For tests taken after April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of 4 or higher (up to 12) in listening and speaking.
For tests taken before April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training and not the academic version. You must have achieved:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher.)
Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF) (French only). We will accept either:
After July 1, 2012, you must have achieved a score of :
B1 or higher (B2, C1 or C2) in listening; and
B1 or higher (B2, C1 or C2) in speaking.
Before July 1, 2012, you must have achieved a score of:
Level 3 or higher (4, 5 or 6) in listening; and
Level 3 or higher (4, 5 or 6) in speaking.
If so, send a copy of your test results with your citizenship application, even if the results have expired.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CanBC said:
Hey

Thanks
This list is helpful.

https://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/advice-to-future-applicants/record-keeping/