+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What did your FBI clearance "certificate" LOOK like?

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
This will sound like a truly inane question, but: what did your FBI "certificate" LOOK like?

I got mine last winter, and it wasn't a certificate at all, just a simple letter stating "no criminal record was found." (The instructions from the FBI for applying for the certificate DO state that the results will come in the form of a "letter"; but the CIS instructions call it a "certificate.")

Mississauga did report back to me that my application was complete (other than medicals) . . . so I'm confident Mississuaga saw the clearance.

But then -- months later -- when the application was being processed by the New York Consulate in May, they claimed the FBI certificate wasn't with the application.

(It WAS with the application, and I'd xeroxed it, and had the receipt for payment, and I'd marked everything with a Post-It tab so it would be easy for them to see it -- and everything else -- was in place. etc.)

N.Y. insisted I had to apply for a new, original FBI certificate . . . which I've done, and I'm now waiting for it. (Tho, since it's just a letter, and not anything certificate-like or authenticated, I don't see the point in them not accepting a Xerox. But that's another issue.)

HOWEVER: My by-now-slightly-paranoid imagination is wondering if there was some issue with the NY Consulate recognizing that the required "certificate" is just the simple letter I included.

So: What did YOUR FBI clearance "Certificate" look like?

thanks a bunch, y'all! ;D

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
Yup, it just looks like a simple, mundane letter--no certification, no seal, no nothing. God, I hope that doesn't happen to me. FBI delayed my whole process, by the time it got here, the state certificates were out of date, but I'm sending them anyway and seeing what happens!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Mine was a cover letter stapled to my original fingerprint cards. On the back of one of the cards there was a stamp that said "no record found". The cover letter just referred to the stamp.

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
AllisonVSC said:
Mine was a cover letter stapled to my original fingerprint cards. On the back of one of the cards there was a stamp that said "no record found". The cover letter just referred to the stamp.
they no longer send back the fingerprints because of security reasons. I honestly can't remember what mine looked like, but it was just a letter.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Alison, you got yours before the FBI changed its procedures last fall.

It is just a letter, but it's on special paper. If it is scanned or photocopied, a watermark appears that says "unauthorized copy." You can't see it at all on the original.

That's bad luck, bonacker. The only thing to do is what you have already done (apply for a new one).

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
thanks so much, you guys!

i'm resigned to waiting -- what can you do? hopefull,y everything will be fine in the end.