+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What constitutes Proof of Funds? (All queries regarding POF procedure ask here)

new_day

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
The long mail you added as evidence is from a Dec 2013 post on this forum (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/proof-of-funds-real-estate-eg-house-apartment-land-t176271.15.html) from a member just like you and me. It does not constitute proof. And even if that mail came from CIC, things have changed since then.

Purpose

To confirm whether the applicant meets the low income cut-off (LICO), as assessed by amount of money they hold compared to the number of people in their family

Document requirements

The applicant should provide official letter(s) from financial institution(s) which list all current bank and investment accounts, as well as outstanding debts such as credit cards and loans. The letter(s) must be printed on the letterhead of the financial institution and must include applicant's name, the contact information of the financial institution (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the account numbers, dates of when each account was opened and the current balance of each account as well as the average balance in the past six months. Other documents may also be requested, as necessary.

Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant

Note that CIC doe not say anything here about cashable investments. Nor does it offer the choice of PA or the spouse being able to showcase this. It has to be the PA.

I don't make the rules or even interpret them. I just try to follow them and help others in trying to follow them. And the rules for POF under Express Entry are this. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
Nothing has changed except the amount as POF.
I was confirmed; but you can not show anything regarding change of any rules.
You may mail to CIC to further clarification.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
new_day said:
Nothing has changed except the amount as POF.
I was confirmed; but you can not show anything regarding change of any rules.
You may mail to CIC to further clarification.
Do you even bother to do some reading for yourself? Or are you content hearing about things from friends and following their advise because it suits your personal opinions?

And you are allowed to categorically use statements like "Nothing has changed except the amount of POF" without adding anything at all to substantiate it only if you happen to be Chris Alexander and possibly not even then.

You may mail CIC for clarification but I'm guessing even that will be too much to expect from you. Ask a friend to do that and let us know what CIC says.

skroncan

Jul 7, 2015
Dear VIP, Champion, Hero, and Star Members, I would highly appreciate your responses to a few of my questions below. Apologies for mixing up the content. My CRS is 442 and might reach 452 after spouse ECA. I am also contemplating to take TEF (test d'evaluation francais) and hope to get above average grades due to my five years of experience from MS+PHD from France although 10 years ago! Are there any hopes for ITA in the next couple of months as CRS will reduce at September end due to ageing ;)

1) For POF I need approx. 10L INR for which I have 2.5L in bank1, 4L in bank2, 2L invested in different funds (readily transferable). I can get fund statement on official letters easily. Now, I have 11.5L in Employee Provident Fund (well known financial institution for time deposits) accumulated during last four years and untouched. Regarding its liquidity Government of India mandates that after 60 days of resigning from an organization all funds can be transferred to a bank account. I can well manage with this as I will resign the moment I am sure about visa stamping. I know there is a trade-off since I do not have sufficient funds in bank accounts and EPF might not be acceptable to all. The EPF guy can stamp and certify the online account statements. What do you guys advise? Also, CIC says financial institutions such as bank accounts and investments accounts and it is well known that EPF is a financial institution where we invest a part of salary every month. It is really difficult sometimes interpreting terminologies as there sense changes with the regions.

2) I can get the reference letter as required by OOPNP from the current employer with whom I have now approx. 5 years experience. It is nearly impossible to take a similar reference letter from previous employer from whom I only have an experience certificate mentioning my period of employment and position. I also have contract, all pay slips, and form 16 (proof of income tax paid). I am still trying it but what do you suggest if I eventually fail?

3) All those who were born before January 26th 1989 can use their high school certificate as a authentic and legitimate DOB certificate. Also, I have an affidavit for this. I was born in 1978 in Varanasi and there is no registration of birth done at that time. So getting a birth certificate from there is just out of question. What should I do?

I would highly appreciate some quick responses from all the senior members as these are the issues which seems to be obstacles in OOPNP roadmap. THX

new_day

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Do you even bother to do some reading for yourself? Or are you content hearing about things from friends and following their advise because it suits your personal opinions?

And you are allowed to categorically use statements like "Nothing has changed except the amount of POF" without adding anything at all to substantiate it only if you happen to be Chris Alexander and possibly not even then.

You may mail CIC for clarification but I'm guessing even that will be too much to expect from you. Ask a friend to do that and let us know what CIC says.
I have shown a reply from CIC, and yes that was old but after that no amendment except amount was published even you were unable to show such records; then why are you giving your own opinion to people?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
new_day said:
I have shown a reply from CIC, and yes that was old but after that no amendment except amount was published even you were unable to show such records; then why are you giving your own opinion to people?
Like I said earlier, you neither seem to fully read posts that are against your personal beliefs nor research the official links inserted therein to substantiate what has been informed there.

The part in red below was taken from the CIC site and the URL all the way down will tell you the location as well. I neither vend opinions nor pass on unreliable information from 3rd parties and I have the courage to acknowledge my mistakes because it will be terrible if someone took a wrong decision based on the information I provided even though I would be merely morally culpable and not legally wrong.

Asivad Anac said:
The long mail you added as evidence is from a Dec 2013 post on this forum (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/proof-of-funds-real-estate-eg-house-apartment-land-t176271.15.html) from a member just like you and me. It does not constitute proof. And even if that mail came from CIC, things have changed since then.

Purpose

To confirm whether the applicant meets the low income cut-off (LICO), as assessed by amount of money they hold compared to the number of people in their family

Document requirements

The applicant should provide official letter(s) from financial institution(s) which list all current bank and investment accounts, as well as outstanding debts such as credit cards and loans. The letter(s) must be printed on the letterhead of the financial institution and must include applicant's name, the contact information of the financial institution (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the account numbers, dates of when each account was opened and the current balance of each account as well as the average balance in the past six months. Other documents may also be requested, as necessary.

Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant

Note that CIC doe not say anything here about cashable investments. Nor does it offer the choice of PA or the spouse being able to showcase this. It has to be the PA.

I don't make the rules or even interpret them. I just try to follow them and help others in trying to follow them. And the rules for POF under Express Entry are this. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

skroncan

Jul 7, 2015
Asivad there will be a new day for you every day and new_day there will ashirwad (blessings) in every post from Asivad.
PLEASE STOP BICKERING like BOYS WITH TOYS :) ;) :D
It will not serve any purpose. As said in the last lines in my last post there can be interpretations which might be dangerous sometimes.

I would highly appreciate if you all can clarify my doubts. BIG THX

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
skroncan said:
Asivad there will be a new day for you every day and new_day there will ashirwad (blessings) in every post from Asivad.
PLEASE STOP BICKERING like BOYS WITH TOYS :) ;) :D
It will not serve any purpose. As said in the last lines in my last post there can be interpretations which might be dangerous sometimes.

I would highly appreciate if you all can clarify my doubts. BIG THX
I've answered your post elsewhere - next time try and not post the same question in multiple places so that you can keep track of responses.

And thanks for taking out the time to type out random advise.

MySky

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Avisad, thank you for all your useful and informed comments. Do you think CIC would ever ask for resubmition of the bank statement after we have submited it with our initial application? The way my income, daily expenses and monthly bills work is that my balance will drop below the required amount until my next paycheque. So there will be days when the closing balance of my account will be under the cutoff. I know you have mentioned a few times that it is best to leave the funds untouched until our PR application is processed, but would they ever ask for another statement in the end? I doubt CIC would have the authority to directly cross examine with the bank.

Also, I should be able to get a letter from our school showing I am being paid an annual salary that is higher than the minimum required by CIC after tuition is deducted. But CIC's website states the only applicants who may not submit POF are those who "have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada". The grad program I am currently enrolled in, is probably not considered as an arranged employment and I am not claiming it for any points. Do you think I could still use a letter from my school as POF? It would sound odd if I wasn't able to, but now I am realizing CIC has all these complicated requirements... I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MySky said:
Avisad, thank you for all your useful and informed comments. Do you think CIC would ever ask for resubmition of the bank statement after we have submited it with our initial application? The way my income, daily expenses and monthly bills work is that my balance will drop below the required amount until my next paycheque. So there will be days when the closing balance of my account will be under the cutoff. I know you have mentioned a few times that it is best to leave the funds untouched until our PR application is processed, but would they ever ask for another statement in the end? I doubt CIC would have the authority to directly cross examine with the bank.

Also, I should be able to get a letter from our school showing I am being paid an annual salary that is higher than the minimum required by CIC after tuition is deducted. But CIC's website states the only applicants who may not submit POF are those who "have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada". The grad program I am currently enrolled in, is probably not considered as an arranged employment and I am not claiming it for any points. Do you think I could still use a letter from my school as POF? It would sound odd if I wasn't able to, but now I am realizing CIC has all these complicated requirements... I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
If you're already working in Canada, CIC takes cognizance of your work status and earnings while evaluating the question of you being able to support your family. In such cases, even if the POF falls short of the required amounts temporarily, that shouldn't be a concern. CIC reserves the right to ask for POF at any point in time and the onus will always be on the applicant but I don't think it is very common for them to ask for it again.

willa

Oct 30, 2014
I'm sorry to repeat the question, but I get no answer in another thread.

Could someone provide an example of the bank's letter that should be uploaded under Proof of Means of Financial Support section (without personal details of course)?
According to cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp,
we should provide the current balance of each account as well as the average balance in the past six months, but according to the help in e-APR, we should provide the balance of each account over the previous 6 months. (No "average" word). I am confused with these requirements and managers in my bank do not understand them either.

Please help

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
willa said:
I'm sorry to repeat the question, but I get no answer in another thread.

Could someone provide an example of the bank's letter that should be uploaded under Proof of Means of Financial Support section (without personal details of course)?
According to cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp,
we should provide the current balance of each account as well as the average balance in the past six months, but according to the help in e-APR, we should provide the balance of each account over the previous 6 months. (No "average" word). I am confused with these requirements and managers in my bank do not understand them either.

Please help
Average balance for the last 6 months can be interpreted in multiple ways depending on how your bank calculates average balances - daily basis/monthly basis/quarterly basis etc.

What is important to CIC should be the driving concern while addressing this question. CIC wants to be reassured that the funds are unencumbered. One way of identifying that is by asking for current balance (to ascertain that the required funds are available as on the statement date) and checking that against the average balance over the past 6 months. If there is a glaring difference between the 2 amounts, that indicates an unreasonably large influx of funds into the account within the last 6 months which could be a sign of borrowed funds.

If your POF does not depend on borrowed funds, just ask your bank to give you an average balance of last 6 months no matter how they calculate it. Or if they still claim to not understand the requirement, ask them to mention closing balance of each of the last 6 months along with the current account balance.

Hope this clarifies. All the best!

willa

Oct 30, 2014
Thank you very much, Asivad Anac! Now I understand what they want. CIC should hire you to write the requirements :)

raza7378

Jul 9, 2015
Visa Office......
bulgaria
NOC Code......
first of all thank you so much everyone ..who provide help to others at no cost.specially @asivad anac .sir thank you so much for all the wonderful help you provide .
sir i've been following your posts regarding POF and i have a small query
1. my account is a joint account with my father is this acceptable for cic and oopnp ?
2. secondly sir my father requested a friend to send me 15000 cad . for my pof .he's giving it to me as a gift as he was in debt of my father .my question is sir what legal gift document should i make as OOPNP has send me PT REQUEST and still the money transfer would take a few days ..what would be the legal format of this gift document that is accepted by CIC AND OOPNP ?
3. should i send this gift document with the other documents or wait for them to ask me about it ?
any answers sir would be highly and deeply appreciated from the bottom of my heart
thank you .
GOD BLESS YOU

kaizadhans

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
20/04/2016
AOR Received.
10/06/2016
Passport Req..
06/12/2016
Asivad Anac said:
I've answered your post elsewhere - next time try and not post the same question in multiple places so that you can keep track of responses.

And thanks for taking out the time to type out random advise.
haha, you are freaking hilariously awesome dude!!! love that straight forward trait in you buddy!! i agree with you completely... :p lol

A big vote of thanks to this brother who is the lone-wolf into guiding us all on this forum. i mean he has helped guide countless number of folks for their endless no of questions regarding EE & FSW

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Is fixed deposit of equivalent CAD $17,000 considered a liquid asset for POF? Another question I have is that I will be moving to Singapore soon from US, and US banks have stated that they cannot send me any financial documentation overseas...So I will open a new account in Singpore but it will not have the required 6 month of history. Will this be a major issue?