+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What city is suitable for starting E-Commerce Business

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you.
Let's say I will need to find a job at the beginning. My field is Accounting. Talking about Ottawa, will it be easy to find a job for me there? Re Alberta, I know it's pretty cold there
Very hard to say how difficult it will be to find a job in accounting. Depends on your qualifications, whether you’ve worked for known accounting firms, etc. Ottawa is also cold.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you.
Let's say I will need to find a job at the beginning. My field is Accounting. Talking about Ottawa, will it be easy to find a job for me there? Re Alberta, I know it's pretty cold there
Ottawa can be even colder. Are you a certified accountant? Are you willing to take any job? Do you know French? Finding a job in retail/restaurants/hospitality will be fairly easy. For accounting, depends on your certification and experience and knowledge of Canadian business/regulations practices.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Very hard to say how difficult it will be to find a job in accounting. Depends on your qualifications, whether you’ve worked for known accounting firms, etc. Ottawa is also cold.
I worked in Nestle.
Yeah, however, not as much as Calgary, isn't it?

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Ottawa can be even colder. Are you a certified accountant? Are you willing to take any job? Do you know French? Finding a job in retail/restaurants/hospitality will be fairly easy. For accounting, depends on your certification and experience and knowledge of Canadian business/regulations practices.
I don't speak French and I never worked with Canadian business accounting.
And yes, I am willing to take any job.
Can it be a problem that I don't speak French in Ottawa? As far as I know most people speak English there. Would you recommend any other cities?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can it be a problem that I don't speak French in Ottawa? As far as I know most people speak English there. Would you recommend any other cities?
You don’t need French. Jobs will specify whether being bilingual is a job requirement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ottawa is a government town and most government jobs require some level of French. If not a government job you don’t need French although certainly a bonus. If you’ve worked for a well known multinational accounting firm that will certainly help your chances of getting an accounting job. Do you have CA or ACCA designation?

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Ottawa is a government town and most government jobs require some level of French. If not a government job you don’t need French although certainly a bonus. If you’ve worked for a well known multinational accounting firm that will certainly help your chances of getting an accounting job. Do you have CA or ACCA designation?
No, I don't.
So would you recommend Ottawa over Calgary?

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
You need to decide on the basis of your lifestyle, affordability, business set up (Registration, taxes, shipping), career opportunities etc. Honestly, no one can tell you where to live. It is such a personal choice.
I know, but as I've never been to any of these cities, it's hard to choose. That's why I am asking for advices from people who may know. The choice is mine but your advise is appreciated :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know, but as I've never been to any of these cities, it's hard to choose. That's why I am asking for advices from people who may know. The choice is mine but your advise is appreciated :)
You need to look at affordability and your budget. If you are trying to seek via Amazon you have to look into which one would be better options. You have to consider what are important things for your life and see which city can best accommodate these needs.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
You need to look at affordability and your budget. If you are trying to seek via Amazon you have to look into which one would be better options. You have to consider what are important things for your life and see which city can best accommodate these needs.
Thanks.
I am searching for:
1. Not a small size city; except of Vancouver and Toronto, coz the rent there is super high.
2. Being able to run a business, have customers, offer not too high shipping fees.
3. As I will most probably need to work at the beginning, a city, where I will be able to find a job (preferably in Accounting).
3. Not a boring one, as I am an activ person, where is events, concerts etc. If there is also a beach, mountains, etc. it would be perfect.
4. Not too cold one coz
I can't stand very cold weather.
Any suggestions?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks.
I am searching for:
1. Not a small size city; except of Vancouver and Toronto, coz the rent there is super high.
2. Being able to run a business, have customers, offer not too high shipping fees.
3. As I will most probably need to work at the beginning, a city, where I will be able to find a job (preferably in Accounting).
3. Not a boring one, as I am an activ person, where is events, concerts etc. If there is also a beach, mountains, etc. it would be perfect.
4. Not too cold one coz
I can't stand very cold weather.
Any suggestions?
What do you mean ”not too cold”. Canada is a cold country. You can’t be anywhere in Canada without it being too cold. Don’t expect to get a job in your field. Ottawa has no ocean beaches nor mountains except if your drive 2.5 hours. Calgary is land locked but has mountains. Shipping fees are no different where you live as it is set pricing through Canada Post, Purolator, Fed Ex.

You need to do your own research.
- Compare rents and living expenses across Canada.
- Look at shipping fees
- Do a job search
- Look at cities tourism pages on things to do.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
I know that Canada is a cold country, but some cities are more cold, others are less. There is no need to tell me what to expect from jobs in my sector, let me handle it.
And I've definitely made my own search before asking here.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I know that Canada is a cold country, but some cities are more cold, others are less. There is no need to tell me what to expect from jobs in my sector, let me handle it.
And I've definitely made my own search before asking here.
So in your search, select the city you prefer. No one here is going to tell you where to move as that it is such a big life choice. I live in the Ottawa area. It is expensive, housing is not cheap. I like visiting Calgary and no more people moving there because of affordability and taxation. Plus you can ski (expensive). Calgary is ”less” cold than Ottawa but it can snow in Calgary in May or Fall because of the Chinooks. Will you have a car…that is another thing to consider If you don’t.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What do you mean ”not too cold”. Canada is a cold country. You can’t be anywhere in Canada without it being too cold. Don’t expect to get a job in your field. Ottawa has no ocean beaches nor mountains except if your drive 2.5 hours. Calgary is land locked but has mountains. Shipping fees are no different where you live as it is set pricing through Canada Post, Purolator, Fed Ex.

You need to do your own research.
- Compare rents and living expenses across Canada.
- Look at shipping fees
- Do a job search
- Look at cities tourism pages on things to do.
There is different shipping fees if you live in more remote parts of Canada.