+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What city is suitable for starting E-Commerce Business

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Hi Guys,
I am planing to travel to Canada and open E-Commerce business (Online Clothing Shop) there. Would you tell me what city is suitable for this kind of business in terms of volume of customers, shipping options, existing Amazon warehouses? Aware of Toronto and Vancouver, but would like to hear about other options.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am planing to travel to Canada and open E-Commerce business (Online Clothing Shop) there. Would you tell me what city is suitable for this kind of business in terms of volume of customers, shipping options, existing Amazon warehouses? Aware of Toronto and Vancouver, but would like to hear about other options.
Canada is a big country. Check where existing Amazon warehouses are and then select city based on where you can afford to live. If E-commerce then you can live anywhere. If you need to be near a US border to ship, then select a city near the border.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Canada is a big country. Check where existing Amazon warehouses are and then select city based on where you can afford to live. If E-commerce then you can live anywhere. If you need to be near a US border to ship, then select a city near the border.
Thanks. I am considering Ottawa and Calgary, do you have any idea which one can be better?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks. I am considering Ottawa and Calgary, do you have any idea which one can be better?
Honestly, where do you want to live? Are you only basing which is better based on your business or are you looking at affordability, quality of life, taxes etc.? That is a personal choice.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Register business in the province you are living. Set up CRA business tax accounts. Check to see if town/city/province requires any permits.
Ok fine, however, my question is about a suitable city, where I can start online e-commerce project. Do you have any suggestions?

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Honestly, where do you want to live? Are you only basing which is better based on your business or are you looking at affordability, quality of life, taxes etc.? That is a personal choice.
All of those. But that's how I am going to make money, so it's important for me to choose a city, where I can succeed with the project.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
All of those. But that's how I am going to make money, so it's important for me to choose a city, where I can succeed with the project.
If e-commerce with no physical location then it doesn’t matter. If you need to make frequent trips to the US to ship items then Ottawa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
E-commerce clothing business is a tough business. This is especially the case because shipping costs are high in Canada. Any small business will also take time to get some traction so you’ll likely have to live off of savings or work another job until you see if your e-commerce business is successful.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
E-commerce clothing business is a tough business. This is especially the case because shipping costs are high in Canada. Any small business will also take time to get some traction so you’ll likely have to live off of savings or work another job until you see if your e-commerce business is successful.
Okay thanks
What city would you recommend?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay thanks
What city would you recommend?
Really depends on what your plan is and whether you need to take on another job while you start your business or have quite a lot of savings that you can live off of. The success rate of small business over the first few years isn’t great and many don’t make much of a profit especially initially. I would stick places that aren’t too remote that won’t incur extra shipping costs. For example the Northern territories, PEI, Newfoundland, Vancouver Island, etc. are probably not a good idea. You’ll need to consider the cost of living in every city.

Nadiia333

Sep 26, 2019
Really depends on what your plan is and whether you need to take on another job while you start your business or have quite a lot of savings that you can live off of. The success rate of small business over the first few years isn’t great and many don’t make much of a profit especially initially. I would stick places that aren’t too remote that won’t incur extra shipping costs. For example the Northern territories, PEI, Newfoundland, Vancouver Island, etc. are probably not a good idea. You’ll need to consider the cost of living in every city.
Thank you.
Let's say I will need to find a job at the beginning. My field is Accounting. Talking about Ottawa, will it be easy to find a job for me there? Re Alberta, I know it's pretty cold there