+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What can someone do to avoid getting RQ (if it is possible at all)?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This question probably has been asked hundred of times before, so kindly excuse me for this.

Is there any way someone can avoid getting RQ such as proactively including documents with the application package?

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goodman, no one can guarantee that you won't get RQ even if you will submit all required by RQ docs in your first original application.
The only thing you can do is to try and see how it works out. Include cover letter explaining that you realize that additional docs are not required in this first application package, but you are sending those just in case.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HighFive said:
Goodman, no one can guarantee that you won't get RQ even if you will submit all required by RQ docs in your first original application.
The only thing you can do is to try and see how it works out. Include cover letter explaining that you realize that additional docs are not required in this first application package, but you are sending those just in case.
Thanks so much.

I intend to do what you said. However, I am a little confused what to attach - such as letter my insurance company showing I had car insurance in the last 4 years with them, deed of my apartment, bank statement, notice of assessment showing I earned and paid taxes etc. etc. I mean is there a risk of over doing it ?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
goodman36 said:
Thanks so much.

I intend to do what you said. However, I am a little confused what to attach - such as letter my insurance company showing I had car insurance in the last 4 years with them, deed of my apartment, bank statement, notice of assessment showing I earned and paid taxes etc. etc. I mean is there a risk of over doing it ?
I think if you have not taken a bunch of trips outside of Canada with lots of stamps in your passport in the last 4 years, you likely aren't going to have an issue. I think most of the folks here who get issues have frequent trips out of the country and multiple stamps in their passports coupled with weak evidence of proof of residence inside Canada. I am not entirely sure your car insurance is going to be of assistance unless you have a note signed by your agent stating that you in fact showed up in person each month to make your payment or something of the like. But if you've strong proof to show you've been working a regular job and living a regular life inside of Canada, then I think you'll be ok.

Rqed2013

Feb 15, 2014
Just pray.

Sorry Goodman but remember good things happen to good people. Nothing to worry if one gets RQ.

Only waiting time is sometimes unbearable.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
IMHO the CBSA Report is the most important document to attach to your application.
I did not do it when i sent my application but it helped me a lot in my interview.

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
goodman36 said:
This question probably has been asked hundred of times before, so kindly excuse me for this.

Is there any way someone can avoid getting RQ such as proactively including documents with the application package?
Hi friend,
I would suggest you include all documents that are usually requested in the RQ form. submit any document that will prove that you lived in Canada which makes you eligible to apply for the citizenship. that may include:

1.CRA notices of assessment
2.Statements of health care benefits paid
3.bank statements
4.request entry/exist report from CBSA
5.phone bills
6.school enrollment docs
7.Rental/ownership documents for places we lived in
8.Employment documents
9.School records for yourself or children
10. Any other documents (services, payments...etc) that show you have been inside Canada.
send as much as you can..

Good luck!!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goodman36 said:

If your profile meets the RQ triggers then you will get RQ'd - the triggers include known factors such as self employment with travel, unknown factors which only CIC are privy to but basically being something that raised a concern about your declared residence or by being randomly selected for program integrity/quality assurance.

Search for poster 'eileenf' and check her signature line it has plenty of info on the RQ via her resource website...print out the latest RQ version and submit this with every document asked/ relevant plus your regular citizenship application form (the latest citizenship application form version already asks for much of the info on the RQ form anyway so there may be repetition). Only key difference is the reference point to the 09/13 version is from arrival to Canada...this way if CIC decide to RQ you you are ahead of the pack.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In general, I advise against trying to game the CIC by outsmarting them. The CIC runs a complex process and as outsiders we can't really know whether deviating from the instructions will benefit or harm our cases. Sometimes "borrowing tomorrow's problems for today" backfires. Follow the instructions, or deviate just slightly, but wholesale deviation (i.e. sending a whole suitcase of documents when they only want about 25 pages) is unwise, in my view.

Also, I have significant doubts as to whether sending a pre-emptive RQ and supporting documents would be effective. Even if it were, I doubt it will save you more than 2 months of processing time because your file would still go into the RQ queue (slow boat) to be assessed. The worker in Sydney checking the pretest RQ triage list isn't assessing your documents or the quality or quantity of your time in Canada. That's not their job and I doubt they have the inclination, much less the training or authority to do it. My understanding is that they're just checking the risk factors and sending or not sending RQ based on those risk factors.

There was a case (Check page 22 of this ATIP residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/delayland_cic_theme_park_mar2013.pdf) of an applicant submitting a pre-emptive RQ plus 900 pages of documents with their original application and still getting issued another RQ. They were advised to just send whatever else they could think of.

Of course, it's your choice, and it's a good idea to start collecting some documents if you feel you meet some of the risk criteria. Maybe send copies of a few key documents (i.e. not bank statements or letters which are not primary proof) if you're going to send anything?

But I advise against trying to solve a problem that you don't yet have and may never have.

tormenta

Mar 3, 2014
eileenf said:
In general, I advise against trying to game the CIC by outsmarting them. The CIC runs a complex process and as outsiders we can't really know whether deviating from the instructions will benefit or harm our cases. Sometimes "borrowing tomorrow's problems for today" backfires. Follow the instructions, or deviate just slightly, but wholesale deviation (i.e. sending a whole suitcase of documents when they only want about 25 pages) is unwise, in my view.

Also, I have significant doubts as to whether sending a pre-emptive RQ and supporting documents would be effective. Even if it were, I doubt it will save you more than 2 months of processing time because your file would still go into the RQ queue (slow boat) to be assessed. The worker in Sydney checking the pretest RQ triage list isn't assessing your documents or the quality or quantity of your time in Canada. That's not their job and I doubt they have the inclination, much less the training or authority to do it. My understanding is that they're just checking the risk factors and sending or not sending RQ based on those risk factors.

There was a case (Check page 22 of this ATIP residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/delayland_cic_theme_park_mar2013.pdf) of an applicant submitting a pre-emptive RQ plus 900 pages of documents with their original application and still getting issued another RQ. They were advised to just send whatever else they could think of.

Of course, it's your choice, and it's a good idea to start collecting some documents if you feel you meet some of the risk criteria. Maybe send copies of a few key documents (i.e. not bank statements or letters which are not primary proof) if you're going to send anything?

But I advise against trying to solve a problem that you don't yet have and may never have.
Just wanted to echo what Eileen said; just follow the instructions.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wsm_al said:
Hi friend,
I would suggest you include all documents that are usually requested in the RQ form. submit any document that will prove that you lived in Canada which makes you eligible to apply for the citizenship. that may include:

1.CRA notices of assessment
2.Statements of health care benefits paid
3.bank statements
4.request entry/exist report from CBSA
5.phone bills
6.school enrollment docs
7.Rental/ownership documents for places we lived in
8.Employment documents
9.School records for yourself or children
10. Any other documents (services, payments...etc) that show you have been inside Canada.
send as much as you can..

Good luck!!
While it's good to send some document to support the citizenship application, one needs to make sure the documents sent really "support".
Doc #1 (for the 4 years) may help prove residency but for how long? You may have spent 6 months out of each of the last 4 years overseas and come back to work in Canada for 6 months and file for taxes.
Doc #2 again this shows you visited your doctor in Jan 2012 and June 2012, how do we know you didn't leave Canada in between?
Doc #3 Yeh right, you may leave your ATM card and cheque book to someone to do 100 transactions a month while you're enjoying the sun in Cuba or Acapulco.
Doc #4 Very important in my opinion but doesn't mean anything if you don't add to it copies of exit stamps(entries in the countries you're visiting). Also. keep in mind this document doesn't account for exits to the US.
doc #5 The person taking care of your ATM card(Doc #3) my use your phone while you're away in Cuba!
and use your cc to pay the bills
doc #6 I'm not sure about this since I didn't go to school in Canada but I guess you may be enrolled in school and spend some time in.....not Cuba.............. Hawai ;)
Doc# 7 same as 6
Doc #8 yes you may be employed and take a few weeks off once in a while. I have an employment letter the states xxxx has been working for us as xxxx since xxxx. But it doesn't say I took 2 months vacation in summer.
doc #9 "any document" and" send as much as you can" Sounds like someone may rent a big container and ship his application to CIC.
That said, I agree that one needs to proof he was residing for 1095+ and i think the best way to do it is NOT to send "as much as you can"
Now, i think it's better to send at this stage
# NOA( +/- employment letters)
# CBSA report
# Copies of stamped pages on passport.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goldline said:
That said, I agree that one needs to proof he was residing for 1095+ and i think the best way to do it is NOT to send "as much as you can"
Now, i think it's better to send at this stage
# NOA( +/- employment letters)
# CBSA report
# Copies of stamped pages on passport.
Yes, I agree above three documents is good enough of 1095 days residency proof. If some one has trips other than US in last 4 years with exit & entry stamps (with CBSA report) having the full period covering passports and if that shows the applicant still has 1095 out of 4 years deducting all the trips (whatever days), unlikely will get RQ. NOA will be considered part of work documents but not critical as like Passport+CBSA.

However, applicant has frequent visits to US and unable to proof exit date from US (no exit stamp), will depend on CO discretion whether will issue RQ or not. All other documents are too much for CIC to handle at initial stage as applicant is disclosing lot of details to CO which does not require unless a RQ is issued.