+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what business abroad do count for permanent residence in order to get the citizenship.

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
I mean being outside Canada for running the business while still counting the days for citizenship.

Thank you

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
None, unless your 'business' was a Canadian public service / administration - i.e. employment by Canadian government.
Thank you for you reply.
it is written Canadian business on the website of IRCC, I wonder what can it be.

Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?
It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:
You work outside Canada
You need to work full-time for:
  • a Canadian business or organization, or
  • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for you reply.
it is written Canadian business on the website of IRCC, I wonder what can it be.

Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?
It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:
You work outside Canada
You need to work full-time for:
  • a Canadian business or organization, or
  • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government
No - it doesn't say that. Read it again. This is only related to the residency obligation for PR status.

This has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Your days will counted towards PR RO not for citizenship.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
what business abroad do count for permanent residence in order to get the citizenship.

I mean being outside Canada for running the business while still counting the days for citizenship.

None, unless your 'business' was a Canadian public service / administration - i.e. employment by Canadian government.
Wish you could assist me in this regard
Responses from @armoured and @engray and @scylla cover it. It is simple. Running a business abroad, or being employed by a business while abroad, will NOT qualify for credit toward meeting the citizenship physical presence requirement.

As the source linked by @engray illustrates, time abroad (outside Canada) can be credited toward "citizenship days" in only a very limited number of situations. None of those involve running a business. All are essentially based on Canadian government (federal or provincial) service/employment (either personally or accompanying a spouse so engaged).

Moreover, the observation by @funloving warrants a caution: there is also a lot more to getting credit toward the PR Residency Obligation than just running or being employed by a Canadian business while abroad. This is a subject addressed at length in the PR Obligations part of the forum.

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
No - it doesn't say that. Read it again. This is only related to the residency obligation for PR status.

This has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship.
[/QUOTE
What about working as a manager for Air Canada in my home country ?? !! sometimes there is better work options abroad . But we all do not want to risk loosing the Canadian passport .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What about working as a manager for Air Canada in my home country ?? !! sometimes there is better work options abroad . But we all do not want to risk loosing the Canadian passport .
This will not count towards citizenship. Only days you spend physically in Canada will count towards citizenship.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
If by manager you mean "personal envoy of the minister of transport in your home country to deal with something related to Air Canada", yeah, it may apply.

But obviously, that's not what you mean. So, others have said so already, but just forget it. Or join the army and count the days you spend in a war-torn country if that's something you may enjoy...

sinou3939

Star Member
Jun 10, 2020
You sound like you’re trying to strike a bargain with someone in the forum. Unfortunately, there is no one here with the authority to make an exception for your case. The rules are clear as day as mentioned by others here. As much as you’d like to, you’re not gonna hear what you want to. Either. stay in Canada to acquire your citizenship or forgo the opportunity for a work opportunity abroad. Can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you
If you are a surgeon you should also be looking into whether you have a decent chance of being able to secure a residency spot in Canada if you want to try and practice in Canada.