+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What benefits do sponsored PR parents get?

masai_chadi

Jan 7, 2012
I have sponsored my parents, and they have received their landing visas. After their landing, what social benefits do they qualify for in BC?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They'll get medical free and free social advise. They can also take employment anywhere in Canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

newtone said:
They'll get medical free and free social advise. They can also take employment anywhere in Canada
Not quite right. It depends on the province. In BC it is $60.50 per person per month.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In BC, I suppose they also get Pharmacare to help with their medication.

However, you as the sponsor are financially responsible for them for the next 10 years so if they become destitute and seek help from welfare or go on disability, the government will send you the bill for it.

Canadian_Sponsor

Star Member
Oct 6, 2012
Does anyone know if sponsored PR parents are eligible for MSP Premium Assistance?

As per MSP site, for BC province for example, the MSP Premiums are $120 per month for a family of two, however if the net income of that family is less than 22,000, then the 'assisted premiums' are $0. Not sure if this applies to sponsored parents...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't looked into this but isn't it moot on the basis that to sponsor parents requires a net income of more than 22K?

Canadian_Sponsor

Star Member
Oct 6, 2012
Msafiri said:
I haven't looked into this but isn't it moot on the basis that to sponsor parents requires a net income of more than 22K?
Hi, Msafiri. I as a Sponsor do have income of more that 22K.
My question however was about my Parents, whose Income is less than 22K (in fact it is zero). Are they eligible for MSP 'assisted premiums' ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Canadian_Sponsor said:
Hi, Msafiri. I as a Sponsor do have income of more that 22K.
My question however was about my Parents, whose Income is less than 22K (in fact it is zero). Are they eligible for MSP 'assisted premiums' ?
Why don't you contact BCMSP and get the correct answer, instead of having everyone guess?

Canadian_Sponsor

Star Member
Oct 6, 2012
It does not hurt to ask around, isn't it? At the end of the day this is why this forum is here - to ask.

Surely if I do not hear from anyone who tried/experienced this, I will try to contact BCMSP before paying premiums. The reason I wanted to check around is that my parents just applied for MSP, and in application form it said that the premiums payments will start only after their application is processed and approved. So, until the MSP application is approved and until the request comes for MSP premiums payments, we have time - so why not to check around if anyone is aware on this question?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does say that they would have to have lived in Canada and been PR for at least 12 consecutive months before they are eligible for premium assistance, see https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/premium_assistance.html

After that, they can apply for it for sure. They will get it but if BC considers this to be benefits that should fall under your duty as your parents sponsor, they will just get it back from you.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
masai_chadi said:
I have sponsored my parents, and they have received their landing visas. After their landing, what social benefits do they qualify for in BC?
Hi bro,

May i know how u sponsored ur parent,i am planning for same ,i am a pr in calgary, want to sponsor my parents under hunanterian basis not super visa....

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ramzy2277 said:
Hi bro,

May i know how u sponsored ur parent,i am planning for same ,i am a pr in calgary, want to sponsor my parents under hunanterian basis not super visa....

Thanks.
Are your parents already in Canada?

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
scylla said:
Are your parents already in Canada?
No they r outside canada,they work in middle east,and they r about to retire,they cant go back to our home country in africa becuz of civil war,i am their only child as well,so how to sponsor them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ramzy2277 said:
No they r outside canada,they work in middle east,and they r about to retire,they cant go back to our home country in africa becuz of civil war,i am their only child as well,so how to sponsor them.
They have to be in Canada to apply for H&C.

Right now your choices are to bring them to Canada on either a regular visit visa or a super visa (you must be a PR or citizen and be making sufficient income to qualify for the super visa).

CIC is not accepting parent sponsorship applications at this time. However it's expected that CIC will start accepting parent sponsorship applications again in November.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
scylla said:
They have to be in Canada to apply for H&C.

Right now your choices are to bring them to Canada on either a regular visit visa or a super visa (you must be a PR or citizen and be making sufficient income to qualify for the super visa).

CIC is not accepting parent sponsorship applications at this time. However it's expected that CIC will start accepting parent sponsorship applications again in November.
Thanks scylaa,

How much income shall i gain to apply for this super visa, is there any other financial requirements ,i heard i have to put like 100,000 cad for health insurance????