+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the opportunities available after an MSc in Canada?

xxena

Jul 1, 2009
Hallo Everyone, this is my dilemma;

I hope to move to Clagary next year. I am currently teaching with a teaching licence here in the Gulf, and completing a Masters in Education (course based).

I would love to proceed with a Phd at the university of Calgary, but going by the criteria, I might not get in. The next option would be taking another Masters degree (4 years). The question is ...what opportunities are available for me to work while in school?

I know the option exists to get a teaching qualification and teach in Canada..how easy is it to get a teaching job...my bachelors degree was in Economics? I would really love to be in the university though.

Thanks for all your input.

Frances.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
First of all, a masters degree does not require u to spend 4 years! Only a PHD requires u to complete in 4 to 5 yrs!

secondly, teaching job varies in canada, it depends on where u want to teach and at what level. if u want to teach at college or uni level, then college level usually requires a masters degree with some relevant experience in yr respective fields, or a canadian degree with many years of work experience in yr relevant field. Teaching in the Uni will require u to have PHD as an associate prof and that requires u to publish, not just teach! So u have to know what level u want to teach and what area and where!

Thirdly, yr degree elsewhere other than those in US or Canada, may not be recognised unless it is certified to the same standard as in Canada. As such, yr qualification may not be recognised, especially those from India or developing countries. As such, u may have to upgrade yrself in a canadian uni and get some recognised qualification.

Teaching jobs are not easy to come by, especially in unis and colleges, cause most already have positions filled unless there are some turnover or some new positions created. As such, it takes a lot of patience in this job search.

Good luck in yr search.