+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the final steps of spousal sponsorship?

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I am at the final steps of my spousal sponsorship application (AOR, SA, BIL, Medical, CSQ all completed).

I have submitted an outland application, but I am currently living in Canada with my spouse (as a Visitor on Visitor record).

What are the final steps of spousal sponsorship? In particular:
  1. Once COPR number is generated on GcKey, can I start to work in Canada? Or do I need to wait for my PR card to be delivered by post?
  2. Do I need to apply for a SIN before start working, or can it be done in the first few weeks of employment? How long does it take to receive SIN?
  3. I am from a visa-free (eTA, Europe) country, does it mean I will not receive passport request? Or do I still need to send my passport (via scan) and do a virtual landing?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Are you really at the point of getting COPR? Giving your timeline that's extremely fast. Are all other steps like BGC and Eligibility are complete?

1. IIRC, you need to perform landing, virtual in your case before being considered as a PR. Without landing COPR number in the tracker doesn't do mean much.
2. You must have documents that allow you to work. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html
3. Since you are in Canada it's advised to notify IRCC of the change of address and do the virtual landing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am at the final steps of my spousal sponsorship application (AOR, SA, BIL, Medical, CSQ all completed).

I have submitted an outland application, but I am currently living in Canada with my spouse (as a Visitor on Visitor record).

What are the final steps of spousal sponsorship? In particular:
  1. Once COPR number is generated on GcKey, can I start to work in Canada? Or do I need to wait for my PR card to be delivered by post?
  2. Do I need to apply for a SIN before start working, or can it be done in the first few weeks of employment? How long does it take to receive SIN?
  3. I am from a visa-free (eTA, Europe) country, does it mean I will not receive passport request? Or do I still need to send my passport (via scan) and do a virtual landing?
When did you submit your application? Since you've applied through Quebec, you're going to fall under the caps they have in place now and your wait for a COPR may be quite a lot longer than you think even if all steps have been completed.

1. No, the COPR number being generated is not enough. You need to virtually land and become a PR before you will be authorized to work.
2. You need a SIN before you can start working.
3. You can land virtually.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Thanks both for your replies.
Based on the timelines I have seen, I could get COPR generated by end of August and passport request early September. I have seen people whose eligibility in started and completed on the same day. Mine says not started yet on tracker, but started on GcKey....

So if I understood correctly, COPR generated is good news because I have been approved, but I still need to wait a few burocratic steps to be finalised. How long it takes from the day I will receive passport request to the day I can start working?

@scylla I am not sure I was affected by the caps, I have submitted my CSQ application early July and received my CSQ certificate ealy August (the thing that took the longest was the posting, because my CSQ application was approved 5 working days after my card was charged, and my card was charged 5 working days after MIFI had received it by post).

With regards to the change of address, I have informed IRCC already via webform. They confirmed they have received the info, however on my tracker it still shows my previous address (the address I was living in when I submitted the application). Is this normal?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks both for your replies.
Based on the timelines I have seen, I could get COPR generated by end of August. I have seen people whose eligibility in started and completed on the same day.

@scylla I am not sure I was affected by the caps, I have submitted my CSQ application early July and received it back ealy August (the thing that took the longest was the posting, because my CSQ application was approved 5 working days after my card was charged, and my card was charged 5 working days after MIFI had received it by post).
I don't think anyone is exempt from the caps. It applies to everyone who has applied through Quebec. The caps are not controled through the CSQs. All steps in the application process are completed (including CSQ) and then the final approval of the application is put on hold.

morgan98

Aug 14, 2023
@scylla
Do you know if they have reached the QUEBEC family sponsorship CAP this year? How can we check those numbers. In google it says that is max 10,600 for 2023.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla
Do you know if they have reached the QUEBEC family sponsorship CAP this year? How can we check those numbers. In google it says that is max 10,600 for 2023.
I don't know if it's possible to check. I thought someone else here said it was already reached for the year but I don't know if they were just guessing or had a source.

I'm not aware of any website where you can check. I doubt they (Quebec) would publish this openly. I think they would face a lot of backlash if they did. Feels like they are trying to hide the whole thing.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
The whole thing about caps on spousal sponsorship approvals for Quebec does not seem to make sense to me. I mean, say that this year the allow 50% of spousal applications to be finalised for 2023. Next year they allow the remaining 50% of 2023 spousal applications to be finalised for 2024. Then in 2025 they allow 50% of 2024 spousal applications. Quickly the situation becomes out of control...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The whole thing about caps on spousal sponsorship approvals for Quebec does not seem to make sense to me. I mean, say that this year the allow 50% of spousal applications to be finalised for 2023. Next year they allow the remaining 50% of 2023 spousal applications to be finalised for 2024. Then in 2025 they allow 50% of 2024 spousal applications. Quickly the situation becomes out of control...
Yes, that's exactly why posted processing times for Quebec applicants are 25 months right now vs. 13 months for the rest of Canada (this is for outland applications). Quebec has screwed things up for their applicants.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Nobody asked what is your timeline so let me ask that.

As for the caps, this is correct and I'm in the same boat, unfortunately. Even if all other steps are completed, if you are not within the cap for 2023, it means it will have to wait until 2024 or even 2025.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Nobody asked what is your timeline so let me ask that.

As for the caps, this is correct and I'm in the same boat, unfortunately. Even if all other steps are completed, if you are not within the cap for 2023, it means it will have to wait until 2024 or even 2025.
My timeline is:
Application submitted: end of April
SA, BIL and Medical Request: first week of July
BIL and Medical completed mid-July
CSQ submitted: mid-July
CSQ received and sent to IRCC: mid-August
Eligibility: not started on tracker, started on GcKey
Background: started

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Once I do the virtual landing, will I receive a PR card and some sort of proof that I am a PR?
The PR card will come several weeks after landing. You'll receive an eCOPR which you will be able to use to get a SIN and start working after you land but before the PR card arrives.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
The PR card will come several weeks after landing. You'll receive an eCOPR which you will be able to use to get a SIN and start working after you land but before the PR card arrives.
Thanks. So I become officially permanent resident on the day I do the virtual landing (and soon after I'll receive the eCOPR). Until the day of the virtual landing I can travel abroad and try to re-enter Canada as a visitor, but if I travel between the day of the virtual landing and before receiving the PR card, I will need a Permanent Residence Travel Document, right?
Is the virtual landing an online meeting/interview?

With regards to people going to Quebec, what is the step that get stuck due to the limited number of applications accepted? When I will receive decision made / PPR, will it mean that I have passed the backlog?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. So I become officially permanent resident on the day I do the virtual landing (and soon after I'll receive the eCOPR). Until the day of the virtual landing I can travel abroad and try to re-enter Canada as a visitor, but if I travel between the day of the virtual landing and before receiving the PR card, I will need a Permanent Residence Travel Document, right?
Is the virtual landing an online meeting/interview?

With regards to people going to Quebec, what is the step that get stuck due to the limited number of applications accepted? When I will receive decision made / PPR, will it mean that I have passed the backlog?
Yes, you would need a PRTD if you are traveling between the date you virtually land and become a PR and the date you receive your PR card, unless you are re-entering Canada from the US through a land border using a private vehicle.

It's the very last step that is getting stuck with Quebec. Basically everything is completed and then there's no passport request / COPR. If you receive PPR, then you would be fine based on what I know.

Reactions: HTS_QC and armoured