+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the docs for adding a spouse to application after passport request?

p.sarafraz

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
CEC
Doc's Request.
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
20-03-2017
Passport Req..
09-06-2017
I have both the options of getting married before landing and after landing. I am wondering what kinds of additional documents I will need to provide if I get married before landing and how it will affect my application.

I have received a passport request from Canada already.

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
I'm assuming your spouse is already on your application? If you got married before landing, you would need to provide a marriage certificate. If you've already received a passport request, I would just get married after landing.

p.sarafraz

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
CEC
Doc's Request.
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
20-03-2017
Passport Req..
09-06-2017
Thanks for your reply. No, I'm not married yet. I have no one else on my application. I'm wondering what type of documents are needed when one needs to add a spouse to an already existing application other that the marriage certificate. Is there a link on CIC website for that? I heard marrying after landing and sponsoring a spouse is an 18-month process while marrying before landing might only take 2 months.

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
So your spouse isn't even on your application yet? Well then. There are a bunch of threads and information regarding this topic, and it will significantly extend your application processing time. You'd also have to return your current COPR (once you get it). Do some digging around on here, many other people have been in this situation (I'm not one of them, so I can't really help much more).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have both the options of getting married before landing and after landing. I am wondering what kinds of additional documents I will need to provide if I get married before landing and how it will affect my application.

I have received a passport request from Canada already.
-Marriage certificate
-Spouse's passport
- Spouse's application forms (Background, Additional Family, Travel History)
- Spouse's police clearance(s) and medical exam
- Spouse's application fee, RPRF
- anything else that IRCC requests.

Even though it will delay your application, it will be a lot faster than getting married after you get PR and then having to sponsor your spouse.

Reactions: p.sarafraz