+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the different ways of getting a PR when on Temporary Work Permit

ray28

Nov 16, 2008
I am on a temporary work visa and would like to know what are the different ways of obtaining a PR.. I have enough points to qualify for FSW. Can I apply for FSW when in Canada. If so, where do I need to apply and approximately how long would the process take. I know I can apply under CEC too after gaining 2 years experience in Canada, but I don't want to wait that long. Also, where do I find information about processing times for CEC and FSW when applying from Canada (I see it in cic.gc.ca for other countries but not Canada).

Can someone please suggest me the fastest way to become a Permanent Resident.

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After a year in Canada, you can apply for PR under FSW category 3 but you can do it sooner if you get a permanent job offer letter from your employer. Your letter and work permit will act as an AEO so then you can apply under category 2. Depending on your province, there might also be an option to apply under a provincial nominee program.

The FSW applications from within Canada are processed in Buffalo so look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02b-skilled-fed.asp#west and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/07-cec.asp#west

ray28

Nov 16, 2008
Thank you for the information Leon!! Looks like these timelines are for general FSW program. How do I find the timelines for FSW2 and FSW3..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, there is no difference in the processing of FSW 1, 2 and 3

ray28

Nov 16, 2008
Once again Thank you very much Leon for answering my questions. Few more clarifications needed please. So, What is the difference b/w applying in FSW 2, FSW 3 and General FSW. I know provincial is bit faster. But, I don't understand what the advantage is with applying in FSW 3 after 1 year of stay in Canada or Appying in FSW 2 if we have a permanent offer. Also, what is the criteria for the PNP program in Ontorio? I am very new here and am just trying to understand the process of immigration.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You apply in the category you qualify for. If you qualify for more than one category, you can pick. If one lets you apply right away and with the other, you have to wait a year, you might want to go with the one that lets you apply right away.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp said:
There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
I am not sure that provincial is at all faster. The time given on the CIC website is for the PR part of the application but before you get to that point, the PNP has to nominate you and that takes a few months as well.

You can find the Ontario PNP at http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/index.htm

ray28

Nov 16, 2008
Got you.. Thanks a lot.. :) Is Federal Skilled Workers Program that people apply from other countries (Points System one) different from these three categories FSW1, FSW2, FSW3?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ray28 said:
Got you.. Thanks a lot.. :) Is Federal Skilled Workers Program that people apply from other countries (Points System one) different from these three categories FSW1, FSW2, FSW3?
No, it is exactly the same. The categories apply to all skilled worker applicants.

People who are outside Canada can not qualify for FSW3 but they can qualify for FSW1 if their occupation is on the most wanted list or FSW2 if they have a certified job offer (AEO).

For a person who is already in Canada, they may also qualify for FSW1, they can use their work permit and a letter from their employer stating permanent job offer instead of an AEO to apply under FSW2 or they can wait until they are in Canada for a year and then apply under FSW3.