+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the chances and Financial Aid for refugee claimants ?

maxmtl

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
Hello. My wife's sister wants to move to Canada with her family. Her husband has a business that was working well before, but now it doesn't work well and they about to loose their house because of this. What are their chances to get refugee status in Canada? Will they be getting some financial assistance after they arrive to Montreal and submit a claim for refugee?

How does the whole process work?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. My wife's sister wants to move to Canada with her family. Her husband has a business that was working well before, but now it doesn't work well and they about to loose their house because of this. What are their chances to get refugee status in Canada? Will they be getting some financial assistance after they arrive to Montreal and submit a claim for refugee?

Financial reasons are not accepted as the basis of a refugee claim. If they are planning on making a refugee claim based on a business failure and the loss of their house, they will be refused.

Any financial assistance provided is extremely minimal and barely enough to survive on. Most refugees opt for a work permit instead.

Ameeroov

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Mississauga

Are you serious ! Refugee status is not for business failure issues it’s for people who really in need of protection
You should read online on cic page before ask such question

maxmtl

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
I understand. The reason will be different of course when they will start the whole process.
Is it always better to 1 person to come first, let's say the husband, get refugee status and bring the family after?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand. The reason will be different of course when they will start the whole process.
Is it always better to 1 person to come first, let's say the husband, get refugee status and bring the family after?
If the husband comes first, he should be prepared to be separated from the rest of his family for a number of years while the refugee application is processed.

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
I will strongly suggest to come along with whole family.otherwise this family will be separated for 4/5 years!

He will get basic financial assistance for the whole family.he will also get work permit in 3/4 months.

Pls note, if he comes first and claim for refugee,rest member’s visa will be revoked and they can’t come until the principal applicant becomes PR

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

With all due respect , the refugee system isn’t quite set up for people’s business plans that have failed , and their business wasn’t even in Canada in the first place
Seriously, who would even think that ??

maxmtl

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
Are there any other ways to arrive to Canada and get a status? Maybe we could sponsor my wife's sister and the rest of her family, including the husband and 3 kids?

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Are there any other ways to arrive to Canada and get a status? Maybe we could sponsor my wife's sister and the rest of her family, including the husband and 3 kids?
You can sponsor them only if they are outside of their home country AND they are recognized as refugees in that country, or they have a document from the UNHCR that proves that they’re refugees.

That’s not your wife’s sister’s case, but I’m just telling you about the only way to sponsor them.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Perhaps they could try Express Entry or Provincial nomination and immigrate that way rather than trying to circumvent the system.