+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are my options valid PR card but not meeting Residency requirements

devinewise

Nov 8, 2011
My family and I landed in 2003 and renewed our PR card in 2009 but subsequently moved to the US for family and financial reasons. Since then we visit Canada regularly in the hope of retaining our PR card and visiting friends as well but each time we have been pulled aside and lectured on our reseidency status. The last lecture was horifying :eek:. The PR cards are still valid until 2013 but we have not met the residency requirements. We would like to vist Canada at least this December but dread not being allowed or worse case being deported. We have thought of applying for a temporary residency for the vist but we think it doesn't make sense as we still have the valid PR cards. We dont mind loosing the residency since we cannot move to Canada now because of economic and family reasons but we want to still go in legally. We would appreciate your advise on what to do.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they lecture you, offer them that they can take your PR cards if they give you a visit visa as you know you have lost your PR due to residency requirements and are not planning on moving to Canada.

Giving up your PR is not as easy as it sounds, especially when your PR cards are still valid. Once they expire, you can apply for a travel document and at that point they will determine that you have lost your PR status and revoke your PR.

devinewise

Nov 8, 2011
Many thanks Leon. 2 questions, 1) is it better for CIC to revoke the PR or for me to voluntarily renounce the PR and. 2) If it is revoked does it affect my chances of entering Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It might look better if you renounced it yourself to show good faith but there aren't really too many options available to purposely renounce your PR. There have been people on this forum recently who wanted to do this and were working through an embassy and the embassies are at a loss on how to do this. One offered the solution that the person whose PR card was expired would apply for a travel document but write on the form that he doesn't actually want a travel document, he wants a status determination so he can lose his PR which would free him up to either apply again or travel to Canada on a visit visa. I do not think it affects your chances of entering Canada if you have always acted in good faith. If you have a US green card, you are visa exempt to visit Canada.