+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are my options? Confused and Scared.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I came into Canada as an International Student in the year 2009. I have completed my diploma in Bsc.IT. My current status in Canada is a worker. I got my open work permit on Feb 2014 valid for 2 years which is till Feb 2016. I was supposed to get a 3-year work permit but as luck would have it, my passport is expiring on Feb 2016 hence the 2 year work permit. I am in the process of getting a new passport.

My concern is can I extend my work permit once I get my new passport? Am I eligible to apply for PR through the Express Entry or any other method? I have been in Canada for 6 1/2 years.

I have heard the express entry is closed for the year 2015. This whole thing just scares me.

My employee can provide me Letter of Employment.

Please advice. Thank you.

chaitanyaprsd1

Star Member
Apr 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no official press release about the closure of Express Entry for 2015. Two days back there was a draw with a cutoff of 459. So, you need not worry about the applications intake through EE till some one from CIC makes an official enouncement. I personally feel that draws will take place till end of 2015 in regular intervals.

nastasya

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Yes you can easily extend your work permit after your passport is renewed.
I had same issue, qualified for 3 year permit but my passport was about to expiry so they only gave me 1 year. Then i renewed my passport and reapplied for extension. Just attach a latter of explanation saying that you were suppose to get 3 year post graduate work permit but because your passport expired , you only got 2 and ask them to extend it. You just need to pay fee again but overall its not an issue to extend it

Reactions: gta88

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Natasya can you please share what is the process to extend pgwp that was issued for shorter duration due to passport expiry?

Dilbert

Star Member
May 19, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2015
Doc's Request.
14-11-2015
Nomination.....
13-10-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
14-11-2015
Med's Request
14-11-2015
Med's Done....
08-11-2015
Passport Req..
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2016
LANDED..........
09-04-2016
nastasya said:
Yes you can easily extend your work permit after your passport is renewed.
I had same issue, qualified for 3 year permit but my passport was about to expiry so they only gave me 1 year. Then i renewed my passport and reapplied for extension. Just attach a latter of explanation saying that you were suppose to get 3 year post graduate work permit but because your passport expired , you only got 2 and ask them to extend it. You just need to pay fee again but overall its not an issue to extend it
Same here. You shouldn't have any issues extending it as long as you provide a letter of explanation like nastasya suggested. Make sure you have proper documentation for renewal, old passport copy, new passport copy, old workpermit copy ...etc etc

nastasya

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
pkumthek said:
Natasya can you please share what is the process to extend pgwp that was issued for shorter duration due to passport expiry?
Process of extending is no different from getting a regular work permit
1. log into your mycic
2. complete a query that you are able to get a work permit
3. collect all docs ( attach copy of old passprt, new passport, old work permit)
4. write letter of explanation stating that your passport was expired , you renewed it now and want to extend you work permit
5. pay your fees
6. wait :)

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, I heard they require paper application for extending pgwp. May I ask when did you extend yours? And if you do online what should you put your status as a student or worker ?

nastasya

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
pkumthek said:
OK, I heard they require paper application for extending pgwp. May I ask when did you extend yours? And if you do online what should you put your status as a student or worker ?

I extended it online in april 2014 . They didnt ask me to mail them anything
Put your status as worker since you already have work permit

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Natasya

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
On another note- If I have a TRV on my old passport which is valid till my old passport expires and now that I have a new paspport- will I be able to use the TRV visa for travelling or do I have to get a new TRV visa on the new passport?

My apologizes for side-tracking this topic.

nastasya

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
codeguru said:
On another note- If I have a TRV on my old passport which is valid till my old passport expires and now that I have a new paspport- will I be able to use the TRV visa for travelling or do I have to get a new TRV visa on the new passport?

My apologizes for side-tracking this topic.
You can travel with old TRV till its expiry. Just make sure when you travel you carry both old+new passport. And then once you get new work permit, extend you TRV as well

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
one more thing- did I tell how awesome you guys are? You guys are brilliant. Thank you for all the advice.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes everyone here are great!! Always helping :) Thank you very much

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW, Express Entry closed for 2015 is absolute BS ! I dont read it anywhere.
which means its good news for all of us. Relax CodeGuru, everything will be fine