+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What address to use for newcomer insurance

alexv30

Oct 15, 2019
Hello everybody. First of all, let me thank you for taking your time to help confused people on this forum. I personally got several useful pieces of advice here and do appreciate it.
My question is the following. I got my COPR and will land in Edmonton, AB in November. Of course, I will not be covered by AHCIP immediately so I will buy a travel insurance from a Canadian provider to cover any emergencies during the first 3 months. I decided to buy Allianz insurance via broker visitorsinsurance.ca. In their web-form for purchasing the insurance they ask for the address among other things. Here's the trick: I will stay at an airbnb address for 2 months then will find some other address. I also have my current home address in my country. What address shall I use for the insurance and whether it will affect the insurance situation (if one arises) at all? Maybe someone had or has a similar situation. I'll be glad to hear any info.
Thank you in advance and sorry for possible bothering. If the same question has already been answered I will happily read it and remove this post. Unfortunately I was unable to find this specific info via search.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, unless you don't plan to live in Alberta for more than 6 months, you don't need to buy any private health insurance. You should apply for AHCIP immediately right after landing. There is no 3 months wait for Alberta.

Reactions: alexv30

alexv30

Oct 15, 2019
No, unless you don't plan to live in Alberta for more than 6 months, you don't need to buy any private health insurance. You should apply for AHCIP immediately right after landing. There is no 3 months wait for Alberta.
Thank you for the information. I suspected it is possible for some provinces to not have this waiting period. This can save me some money which is good. If possible and if you possess such an information, could you please tell me if there is any official statement by Alberta government on this? I searched for these waiting periods while waiting for my COPR. The only info I found was that neighbouring Saskatchewan also has (or had, at least in 2016) same no-wait period. I'm asking because Alberta may have changed its policy. Hope this won't confuse you, unfortunately being a newcomer my knowledge is rather limited at the moment, however helpful Google might be.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the information. I suspected it is possible for some provinces to not have this waiting period. This can save me some money which is good. If possible and if you possess such an information, could you please tell me if there is any official statement by Alberta government on this? I searched for these waiting periods while waiting for my COPR. The only info I found was that neighbouring Saskatchewan also has (or had, at least in 2016) same no-wait period. I'm asking because Alberta may have changed its policy. Hope this won't confuse you, unfortunately being a newcomer my knowledge is rather limited at the moment, however helpful Google might be.
Did you try the Alberta website?

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx

alexv30

Oct 15, 2019
Thank you! Seems I used the wrong sources then. Though the website states that the eligibility still depends on some factors. I wonder if I'll be eligible with my ordinary travel passport, COPR and 2 months airbnb receipt. Also, Steaky mentioned 6 consecutive months above and the website says about 12 in a row. Not a problem, though, I'll contact them and clarify the info. Thanks again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! Seems I used the wrong sources then. Though the website states that the eligibility still depends on some factors. I wonder if I'll be eligible with my ordinary travel passport, COPR and 2 months airbnb receipt. Also, Steaky mentioned 6 consecutive months above and the website says about 12 in a row. Not a problem, though, I'll contact them and clarify the info. Thanks again.
You basically will need to assure that you are landing permanently in Alberta since many people land in Alberta to use the immediate medical care, for example for birth, and then relocate soon after to their preferred province. Alberta is trying to prevent this from happening and could seek repayment if the person left before the 6 months or didn’t intend to settle there.

alexv30

Oct 15, 2019
You basically will need to assure that you are landing permanently in Alberta since many people land in Alberta to use the immediate medical care, for example for birth, and then relocate soon after to their preferred province. Alberta is trying to prevent this from happening and could seek repayment if the person left before the 6 months or didn’t intend to settle there.
Thank you for the explanation. So it is 6 months then. I intend to settle in Alberta for at least a year unless something force majeure happens.