+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

West Edmonton

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Hello All,

I am starting this thread of whoever can give some information about the area in West Edmonton which I am going to choose because my son is interested in studying comes September 2014 in Archbishop Macdonald High School in Grade 10. Any particular place in West Edmonton that is conducive to settle down for immigrant like us.

Please share any hands on experience about living in West Edmonton if you happened to be living this part of Edmonton already or an information you have heard about this place.

It would be highly appreciated as well to include any other place in Edmonton that is safer, quite and close to good school.

Thank you all.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
I've lived in Edmonton for more than 4 years before moving to Calgary.
Archbishop Macdonald I would say is more like NW of Downtown rather than West Edmonton.

West Edmonton is like where the West Edmonton mall is.

Anyways, As far as I know the school you go to is depending on what neighborhood you live in.

There will be a corresponding school you can go to. Unless your son is doing an international program thing than maybe there us an exception.
Again I am not sure about this because it might be different with each schools. But mostly this are the rules.

In case you didn't know Archibiship Macdonald is a Catholic school that is french immersion.

My advice if you can, is to not live on the NORTH side of the city.
Unless you are absolutely certain that your neighbors are good and the area is safe.

I remember dating a guy that lived in the North side, I think it was Inglewood.
When we walk in the streets at night he would not let me out of his sight and always asks me to hold his arm and walk fast. This has always scared me. lol. Although the Northside has typically have the lower rent and mortgage prices. But make sure you ask people who are actually around there. It has always been a cliche in Edmonton but you never know. right.

I've lived in the Southside, Millwoods. There is a lot of immigrant families there so you will fit right in and meet a lot of people maybe from your country. This was my first home in Canada.

I've also lived closer to the university on whyte ave. and I loved it! this is probably better for younger couple who likes to go out. As the restaurants and bars are walking distance but probably not best for a family.

Last place I've lived in is in West Edmonton close to the mall. It was in one of the newer communities. More west of the city. And I've loved it! Family oriented a lot of kids in the neighborhood and very safe. I was living with my hubby at this point.

Goodluck with your move!