+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES wants your Academic Document certified through exactly which institution?

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
I recently got my diploma certified by the apostille in my home country (Russia). However it wasn't done through my university but through the Education and Science Ministry in the capital of the province where I lived.

I understand that I already have the apostille now. But I have not mailed it to WES yet. There is something that makes me feel paranoid that WES will still reject my diploma saying it wasn't certified through my university after all.

The requirements are not really clear and are worded like this:

Please have all academic documents certified by apostille through the authorized body of education of the Russian Federation in your region.

To view contact information for the authorized body in your region, please click here.

I am not clear on what the "Authorized body of education" means?
If it means a university why then does the "click here" link take me to the Management for supervision and control in education (within the Education and Science Ministry)?

Has anyone wondered about this and should I try to certify my diploma through my university instead?

Thank you!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
igoryen said:
I recently got my diploma certified by the apostille in my home country (Russia). However it wasn't done through my university but through the Education and Science Ministry in the capital of the province where I lived.

I understand that I already have the apostille now. But I feel paranoid that WES will still reject my diploma saying it wasn't certified through my university after all.

The requirements are not really clear and are worded like this:

Please have all academic documents certified by apostille through the authorized body of education of the Russian Federation in your region.

To view contact information for the authorized body in your region, please click here.

I am not clear on what the "Authorized body of education" means?
If it means a university why then does the "click here" link take me to the Management for supervision and control in education (within the Education and Science Ministry)?

Has anyone wondered about this and should I try to certify my diploma through my university instead?

Thank you!
I did not understand your question because of the highlighted text above. Is it that you are feeling paranoid that WES WILL reject your documents or have they actually done so?

If that is so, then IMO you have done absolutely the right thing by getting them certified by apostille as the instructions on WES say.
What i understand is that, while for the rest (rather most) of the countries it IS the university but for Russia it is the Russian Federation in your area, which as per the linked website it is FEDERAL SERVICE FOR SUPERVISION OF EDUCATION AND SCIENCE.

Then whats the worry, really?

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have updated my question to mention that I have not mailed it to WES yet.

The question is not about the method of certification but about which authorized body to do it through.

I don't know about other countries but for my country - Russia or the Russian Federation - the authorized body seems to be the Education and Science Ministry of the province where my university is situated, that is according to the link provided at WES.org.

My worry is that my diploma will be rejected by WES because it wasn't certified by the "authorized body of education" which sounds like another name for "university".

Basically, what I am afraid is that WES will get unreasonably bureaucratic and make me "pay" for their unclear instructions.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
igoryen said:
Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have updated my question to mention that I have not mailed it to WES yet.

The question is not about the method of certification but about which authorized body to do it through.

I don't know about other countries but for my country - Russia or the Russian Federation - the authorized body seems to be the Education and Science Ministry of the province where my university is situated, that is according to the link provided at WES.org.

My worry is that my diploma will be rejected by WES because it wasn't certified by the "authorized body of education" which sounds like another name for "university".

Basically, what I am afraid is that WES will get unreasonably bureaucratic and make me "pay" for their unclear instructions.
My point is why would you assume that the authorized body is Education and Science Ministry while they are clearly directing you to the website of the authorized body which is FEDERAL SERVICE FOR SUPERVISION OF EDUCATION AND SCIENCE and not what you are assuming it to be.

I don't think there is any discrepancy on this and WES couldn't have made it clearer than they already have, but if you are still paranoid about it, I suggest please wait for some forum member from you own country who has gone through the process him/herself to comment on this.

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
Thank you for your patience and sorry if I have been repeatedly unclear.
I am afraid I can't wait for anyone from Russia to see or answer my question.
So I am just trying to understand how it works, the principle itself.

Yes, WES.org is directing me to the website of the FEDERAL SERVICE FOR SUPERVISION OF EDUCATION AND SCIENCE. But that page in turn shows a map to pick the area where my province is located.
In my province the only thing it shows is the address of the Education and Science Ministry of my province, not a list of universities, as one would assume.

That's what is confusing - WES.org directs me to the provincial Education Ministry, not to universities.

I am wondering if they will accept my certified diploma if it was certified by this other body, rather than by my university. After all, that's what their website seems to indicate.

I mean what is their principle? Do they accept diplomas certified by universities or do I just have to follow their instructions no matter what, even if they imply the authorized body is not a university?

Thank you!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
igoryen said:
In my province the only thing it shows is the address of the Education and Science Ministry of my province, not a list of universities, as one would assume.

That's what is confusing - WES.org directs me to the provincial Education Ministry, not to universities.

I am wondering if they will accept my certified diploma if it was certified by this other body, rather than by my university. After all, that's what their website seems to indicate.

I mean what is their principle? Do they accept diplomas certified by universities or do I just have to follow their instructions no matter what?

Thank you!
I still suggest please don't assume (as highlighted above)
Where have WES made a universal statement on their website that 'Universities and only universities and none other have to attest all transcripts?'

But what they have clearly indicated is please follow the country-wise instructions as specified on our website. The rest is up to you to follow.

I rest my case.

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
Thank you!
OK, I will not assume but just follow the instructions I am given.
I am used to bureaucrats giving unclear/ambiguous/vague instructions which then make you run extra laps wasting your time and money. That's why I am double- and triple-checking.

Liara

Star Member
Sep 17, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Med's Done....
16-11-2015
Passport Req..
21-04-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
igoryen said:
Thank you!
OK, I will not assume but just follow the instructions I am given.
I am used to bureaucrats giving unclear/ambiguous/vague instructions which then make you run extra laps wasting your time and money. That's why I am double- and triple-checking.
As far as I understood, the ministry just checks with the university that you attended, but it's up to the ministry to give you the apostille. Anyway, WES will be fine with what you've got.
I'm from Russia, I followed the same route, and my evaluation with WES went smoothly.

migratorybird

Mar 19, 2017
hi, did you get your WES done by sending your original documents with apostille?
I have a question:
1. How to apply apostille in Moscow? does it have to submit in person? do they accept mail? (I am Chinese, and I got my Russian degree in Moscow. I don't have any family there, now I am in Canada)
2. To apply WES, you just send these documents with apostille to WES BY YOURSELF?

Thanks a lot, and waiting for your reply. ;)

suthan112

Apr 6, 2018
As far as I understood, the ministry just checks with the university that you attended, but it's up to the ministry to give you the apostille. Anyway, WES will be fine with what you've got.
I'm from Russia, I followed the same route, and my evaluation with WES went smoothly.
Hi, I too did my studies in Russia and got my Apostille done after graduation in the ministry as stated in the WES link. the originals are with me. did you send it directly to WES? what about the sealed envelope?

Kindly reply as i am in a huge problem here.

suthan112

Apr 6, 2018
Hi, I too did my studies in Russia and got my Apostille done after graduation in the ministry as stated in the WES link. the originals are with me. did you send it directly to WES? what about the sealed envelope?

Kindly reply as i am in a huge problem here.
i got my WES evaluation report done. The aposstile to be done by the recognised body as stated by the WES-Canad. The originals to be submitted along with english translation. All submitted documents were returned by WES canada.

Reactions: nomad26

tistagreat

May 13, 2021
i got my WES evaluation report done. The aposstile to be done by the recognised body as stated by the WES-Canad. The originals to be submitted along with english translation. All submitted documents were returned by WES canada.
Hello, please I want to confirm if you sent you apostille to WES yourself. Or if you had to do from your university because I have my apostille with me. I am confused about the university seal

suthan112

Apr 6, 2018
Hello, please I want to confirm if you sent you apostille to WES yourself. Or if you had to do from your university because I have my apostille with me. I am confused about the university seal
Hi,
Yes, the apostille seal is placed on both the original degree (diplom) certificate and academic transcript. Therefore, I had to submit my original to WES along with photocopies. No need to go back to the university if the apostille seal is already on the above 2 documents. Just place the originals and photocopies inside a waterproof envelope and seal it & sign. I sent it by Fedex to WES for safety. Also, selected the courier service from WES, rather than the normal mail service to return the original back to me for safety reason. I know its a risk sending the originals by courier, but WES made it clear to me that they need the originals. see the below note from WES:

"Please note:
-WES returns original academic documents submitted to us upon completion of the evaluation"

https://applications.wes.org/required-documents/Search/Result?cId=196&eId=38&iNm=St. Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation&cNm=Diplom bakalavra&iSec=Post-Secondary and Higher Education: Academies, Universities, Institutes, Colleges, Technikumu, Uchilischa&comp=1&isEca=True

tistagreat

May 13, 2021
Hi,
Yes, the apostille seal is placed on both the original degree (diplom) certificate and academic transcript. Therefore, I had to submit my original to WES along with photocopies. No need to go back to the university if the apostille seal is already on the above 2 documents. Just place the originals and photocopies inside a waterproof envelope and seal it & sign. I sent it by Fedex to WES for safety. Also, selected the courier service from WES, rather than the normal mail service to return the original back to me for safety reason. I know its a risk sending the originals by courier, but WES made it clear to me that they need the originals. see the below note from WES:

"Please note:
-WES returns original academic documents submitted to us upon completion of the evaluation"

https://applications.wes.org/required-documents/Search/Result?cId=196&eId=38&iNm=St. Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation&cNm=Diplom bakalavra&iSec=Post-Secondary and Higher Education: Academies, Universities, Institutes, Colleges, Technikumu, Uchilischa&comp=1&isEca=True
Thank you so much for this info, I really appreciate it! I’ll send my documents to WES asap.

Reactions: suthan112