+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES ECA results and equivalent study details in the EE application

fkiddy12

Jul 23, 2013
Hi All,

I have B.Sc and M.Sc degrees from Andhra University, I have got WES assessed them and the following are the results.

B.Sc (Major - Science) - Bachelor's degree (four years)
M.Sc (Major - Computer Science) - One year of graduate study

Now, I have huge confusion over filling EE profile, For B.Sc I have selected Bachelor's degree as Canadian equivalent degree.

For M.Sc what i have to select? Can I select

"University-level credential at the Master’s level"

or
"Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

or
"One-year post-secondary program credential"

canadaatul

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
I have soft copy of ECA that downloaded from WES website. Hard copy yet to receive. Can I use this to submit my EOI????????

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You would select: "One-year post-secondary program credential"

lovecorazn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

I finished BS Nursing and BS Comp Science in two different institutions, one after another. I have had WES assessed them and has a canadian equivalency for both : COMPLETION OF SECONDARY SCHOOL EDUCATION and DIPLOMA (2yrs)

Now, I'm a bit confused on what to choose in filing EE Profile for my level of education.
Should I write 1)two-yr post secondary program credential 2) post-secondary program credential of three yrs or longer, or 3) two or more post secondary program credentials AND atleast one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three yrs or longer.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
journey21 said:
Shouldn't it be University-level credential at the Master's Level, since it's a Master's Degree?
No - the Master's degree wasn't evaluated as a Master's degree. It was evaluated as "One year of graduate study". So you can't claim points for a Master's.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lovecorazn said:
Hi everyone,

I finished BS Nursing and BS Comp Science in two different institutions, one after another. I have had WES assessed them and has a canadian equivalency for both : COMPLETION OF SECONDARY SCHOOL EDUCATION and DIPLOMA (2yrs)

Now, I'm a bit confused on what to choose in filing EE Profile for my level of education.
Should I write 1)two-yr post secondary program credential 2) post-secondary program credential of three yrs or longer, or 3) two or more post secondary program credentials AND atleast one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three yrs or longer.

Thank you in advance.
1)two-yr post secondary program credential

journey21

Dec 25, 2014
scylla said:
No - the Master's degree wasn't evaluated as a Master's degree. It was evaluated as "One year of graduate study". So you can't claim points for a Master's.
Thanks. Though I find it strange that clearly, the guy did the MSc as a Master's degree, only to have it
'downgraded' by WES.

Maybe WES also looks at the university itself, which country it is based in, as well as its track record?

Is it the case of the more 'well-known' the university, the higher the chances that an MSc/MA degree would be classified as
"University-level credential at the Master's level"?

fkiddy12

Jul 23, 2013
I did it from College of Engineering, Andhra University, India.

I guess the length of the program is not sufficient for WES to recognize as full graduate degree.

I am claiming points for "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

since i have 2 degrees post secondary study and one of them is 3 years long.

riz.analyst

Dec 3, 2014
I didn't get the final conclusion .

Are you claiming the points for your highest degree . If so , is it your Masters or Bachelors ?
I think ECA is necessary only for the highest qualification that you are claiming points for . Isn't it ?
In my case , i am claiming points for my UK masters though i have for Bachelors from India . I have got the ECA for my Masters degree only.

Please share your knowledge on the above . Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
journey21 said:
Thanks. Though I find it strange that clearly, the guy did the MSc as a Master's degree, only to have it
'downgraded' by WES.

Maybe WES also looks at the university itself, which country it is based in, as well as its track record?

Is it the case of the more 'well-known' the university, the higher the chances that an MSc/MA degree would be classified as
"University-level credential at the Master's level"?
My guess is that the downgrade may have happened due to the years of study completed. In Canada a Bachelor degree is a 4 year degree. You can complete a 3 year Bachelor as well however a 3 year Bachelor does not allow you to then advance to a Master's because it's not considered as a full Bachelor degree. Almost everyone completes a 4 year degree even if they are not planning on taking a Master's next. I was born in Canada and pretty much all of my friends have Bachelor degrees. I can't name a single person who has a 3 year degree (this is the equivalent of not really finishing your Bachelor's). Everyone has a 4 year degree because this is the standard.

In some countries, Bachelor degrees are 3 year degrees. In these cases where someone has then taken a Master's, the ECA typically evaluates the Bachelor + Master's as the Canadian equivalent of a Bachelor degree - or (as in this case), calls the Master's "one year of graduate studies" which gets you no additional points for immigration since this doesn't constitute a completed degree.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
fkiddy12 said:
I did it from College of Engineering, Andhra University, India.

I guess the length of the program is not sufficient for WES to recognize as full graduate degree.

I am claiming points for "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer"

since i have 2 degrees post secondary study and one of them is 3 years long.
But this is not how WES has evaluated your education. Your Master's was only evaluated as one year of graduate studies. In order to count your Master's as a "credential", WES would have had to have evaluated your Master's as either a completed degree or diploma (which they didn't do). You have only one post-secondary program credential that has been recoginized. That's all you can claim points for. You unfortunately cannot claim points for two.

journey21

Dec 25, 2014
scylla said:
In some countries, Bachelor degrees are 3 year degrees. In these cases where someone has then taken a Master's, the ECA typically evaluates the Bachelor + Master's as the Canadian equivalent of a Bachelor degree - or (as in this case), calls the Master's "one year of graduate studies" which gets you no additional points for immigration since this doesn't constitute a completed degree.
I agree with you.

But then, the thread starter completed his 4-year Bachelor's degree.
So, why would his MSc still not be considered a Master's degree credential, going by what you have said?

This is something that I do not quite understand.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
journey21 said:
I agree with you.

But then, the thread starter completed his 4-year Bachelor's degree.
So, why would his MSc still not be considered a Master's degree credential, going by what you have said?

This is something that I do not quite understand.
I missed that. In that case I agree with you, it must be related to the school where the degree was completed. Ultimately CIC will go by whatever WES says.

lovecorazn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
scylla said:
1)two-yr post secondary program credential
Thank you very much @scylla for your reply. In addition, will i be given additional points for each? because i had my two credentials assessed by WES and they gave me assessment result for each.Like for example for TWO-YR POST SECONDARY PROGRAM CREDENTIAL points is 91. So, this does mean i can get 91x2=182 points? is that right? Thanks again.