+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES ECA - my degree isn’t comparable to a complete Canadian degree

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
Hi all.
Wondering who can help me.
WES states that my 3 year degree through a UK university (BSc Hons Nutrition and Dietetics) is not comparable to a complete Canadian degree. (What???) Can someone explain this please? How can it be? Did anyone get this result and have better luck through ICAS or IQAS?
Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all.
Wondering who can help me.
WES states that my 3 year degree through a UK university (BSc Hons Nutrition and Dietetics) is not comparable to a complete Canadian degree. (What???) Can someone explain this please? How can it be? Did anyone get this result and have better luck through ICAS or IQAS?
Thank you!
The issue might be the school. What's the school? Not all UK schools are the same from a recognition / certification perspective.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
The issue might be the school. What's the school? Not all UK schools are the same from a recognition / certification perspective.
Hi Scylla and thanks for your response. It’s the University of Greenwich. The WES report states that it is a recognised institution. That’s why this is so strange to me :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It says:
"Canadian Equivalency: Three years of undergraduate study.
Remarks: the credential is not comparable to a completed Canadian education credential."
In Canada a Honours degree is four years, not three so that may be one issue why it is not comparable. You can try other ECA.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
In Canada a Honours degree is four years, not three so that may be one issue why it is not comparable. You can try other ECA.
If my UK degree is Honors, I thought Canada would equate it to 4 years... I will try another ECA body. Thank you so much.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If my UK degree is Honors, I thought Canada would equate it to 4 years... I will try another ECA body. Thank you so much.
Not if you only took a 3 year program. You need to take at least 4 years to get equivalency. Did your degree include a foundation year?

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
Not if you only took a 3 year program. You need to take at least 4 years to get equivalency. Did your degree include a foundation year?
It did, but because of my grades, they told me I didn't need to do the foundation year. I think the fact that it is a 3-year honours degree is throwing them off, because that isn't how its done in countries other than the UK. Still, I thought they knew all about this. I mean, they deal with UK degrees all the time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It did, but because of my grades, they told me I didn't need to do the foundation year. I think the fact that it is a 3-year honours degree is throwing them off, because that isn't how its done in countries other than the UK. Still, I thought they knew all about this. I mean, they deal with UK degrees all the time!
Try another assessment organization.

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what the education equates to in the UK. This is an equivalency assessment against Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you didn’t do a foundation year then. You will need to try another ECA and hope that they will assess your three years as a degree. Your degree is not an honours equivalency in Canada.

ridhwanalam

Apr 8, 2023
Hi! We're you able to get equivalency trying other ECA? I am having a BEng pass degree from UK and planning to submit for an ECA but not sure which organization to go through with.