N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
bairn7 said:
Thanks, but a degree that is required for a regulated profession is just that. Law is a regulated profession, a law degree is a degree that is required to enter that profession. Why would that not be classed as a degree that is required for a regulated profession!?

Totally confused about which classification to choose on my EE application. I feel entitled to the 'masters...etc' classification.

Can any Lawyers/accountants etc shed any light?
Your law degree does not qualify as a Masters or degree required for a regulated profession in Canada as you need to have completed your NCA Accreditation process before having the status of a 'degree required for a regulated profession' in Canada. However, your bachelors degree does qualify you to apply under the Paralegal and other Related occupations NOC 4211 Class B category (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/quicksearch.aspx?val65=4211) . I am a foreign trained lawyer in the process of completing my NCA accreditation exams too and i had applied under that NOC class. You might want to take a look at it. I hope this helps!! :)

Reactions: Askhelp

iphie28

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
I think you missed the point. Everyone who graduates from a law school in Canada still writes te Bar Exams and goes through the process of licensing. No foreign lawyer expects to immediately start practicing law without being admitted to the Bar of the province they hope to practice in. NCA is a part of this procedure which is Post-PR. The question now is for express entry and it is if our degree as assessed by Wes "comparable" to a Canadian first prof degree in law?
For my country I probably would hv to write 6exams on Canadian law n not o back to law school to start afresh since I'm coming from a Common law jurisdiction. We're at a loss for the correct points to claim.
BTW do you hve PR yet? Wht agency evaluated your degree wt ws ur equivalency statement, wat points did you claim and how did it turn out for you. Answers to these questions will go a long way.

rajathbk

Apr 5, 2016
iphie28 you are confusing things.
expressentryqueen is right, and that is also what I explained to you.
You can get ECA from IQAS or anyone else but CIC wont give you points for Masters/professional degree, unless you have certificate of qualification from NCA.

expressentryqueen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14th
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
January 14th
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
iphie28 said:
I think you missed the point. Everyone who graduates from a law school in Canada still writes te Bar Exams and goes through the process of licensing. No foreign lawyer expects to immediately start practicing law without being admitted to the Bar of the province they hope to practice in. NCA is a part of this procedure which is Post-PR. The question now is for express entry and it is if our degree as assessed by Wes "comparable" to a Canadian first prof degree in law?
For my country I probably would hv to write 6exams on Canadian law n not o back to law school to start afresh since I'm coming from a Common law jurisdiction. We're at a loss for the correct points to claim.
BTW do you hve PR yet? Wht agency evaluated your degree wt ws ur equivalency statement, wat points did you claim and how did it turn out for you. Answers to these questions will go a long way.
To answer your question, you can check my timeline below. I have a Canadian post-graduate degree for which i claimed points and did not go through the ECA process. I happen to have studied law in Nigeria as well. So i understand exactly what you are saying about claiming points for a degree required for a regulated profession. However, like i said in my earlier post, you can't claim those points unless you have NCA Accreditation plus your LLB from Nigeria. To clarify, NCA is not post-PR. You can get your NCA done while on a temporary permit in Canada. i hope this helps!

iphie28

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
Why are we going back and forth on this issue? The fact that you can initiate ur NCA accreditation process while your still in ur home country doesn't change the fact that you'll be completing d process when you land. Lawyers from the US and some lawyers from India whose LLbs were assessed as a JD or Bachelor of Laws (without NCA accreditation) claimed points for prof degree on EE and they have PR now. So what exactly are you saying?

Reactions: Ismail said

Ismail said

Feb 28, 2018
Alexandria,Egypt
NOC Code......
Why are we going back and forth on this issue? The fact that you can initiate ur NCA accreditation process while your still in ur home country doesn't change the fact that you'll be completing d process when you land. Lawyers from the US and some lawyers from India whose LLbs were assessed as a JD or Bachelor of Laws (without NCA accreditation) claimed points for prof degree on EE and they have PR now. So what exactly are you saying?
hi,sir

I'm a lawyer too and I was wondering if my NOC code would be 4112 or 4211??? and Is it mandatory that obtain a license for Canada immigration before getting (ITA)??? and WES evaluated my degree as a bachelor of laws does it mean I can't claim points for prof degree on EE?

I would very much appreciate any input.

Many thanks!

Apr 4, 2018
Okay thanks for taking out your time to answer. I'm already looking into the NCA process. However I think that IQAS gives a favourable ECA for law degrees from India and Nig. I'm currently being assessed by IQAS will let you know how it turns out.

NB: I do not think WES' assessment is right...others with Medical degrees also have to pursue licensure...but it is still assessed as the first professional degree. Also CIC intended those marks for those with foreign degrees not licensure. A JD is a first professional degree not a registration with a licensing body/registration certificate.
Hi, did you get your degree assessed? Please do let me know since I am am also going through the same.

Olubusayo

Oct 15, 2016
Hi, did you get your degree assessed? Please do let me know since I am am also going through the same.
Urgent help needed here. Please help me.
I have a law degree and a call to bar certificate from Nigeria which wes evaluated as a bachelor's degree (four years) and a post graduate diploma (1 yr). However, I made the mistake of choosing masters/entry to practice licensed profession for my Canadian equivalency.
I have received ITA and I have submitted my application. I only realised this error yesterday. What can I do????????

P.s: when i recalculated my score claiming two degrees instead of professional degree, i still fall above the crs score for that round.
PLEASE REPLY, I AM SO WORRIED.
THANK YOU.

Olubusayo

Oct 15, 2016

How Did you resolve this?
Urgent help needed here. Please help me.
I have a law degree and a call to bar certificate from Nigeria which wes evaluated as a bachelor's degree (four years) and a post graduate diploma (1 yr). However, I made the mistake of choosing masters/entry to practice licensed profession for my Canadian equivalency.
I have received ITA and I have submitted my application. I only realised this error yesterday. What can I do????????

P.s: when i recalculated my score claiming two degrees instead of professional degree, i still fall above the crs score for that round.
PLEASE REPLY, I AM SO WORRIED.
THANK YOU.

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
Hi, I am having the same dilemma. I have a three year bachelor of laws degree from the University of London and then completed a two year full time course called the Legal Education Certificate which is needed to practice law in my country. Which category can I go under? Two or more Certificates or professional qualifications? If I simply use my bachelors I am losing too many points. Any advice would be appreciated.

Olubusayo

Oct 15, 2016
Hi, I am having the same dilemma. I have a three year bachelor of laws degree from the University of London and then completed a two year full time course called the Legal Education Certificate which is needed to practice law in my country. Which category can I go under? Two or more Certificates or professional qualifications? If I simply use my bachelors I am losing too many points. Any advice would be appreciated.
Evaluate both degrees to be on the safe side.
If your bachelors of law is equivalent to a Canadian bachelor of law or first professional degree in law then you can claim points for masters/professional degree needed to practice in ..........
If your bachelors of law is equivalent to bachelors degree (3 years), then you can claim 2 or more degrees. All the best

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
Thank u for your response. Any further advice on whether to choose WES or IQAS? I have been reading mixed reviews online on both and is confused

Olubusayo

Oct 15, 2016
Thank u for your response. Any further advice on whether to choose WES or IQAS? I have been reading mixed reviews online on both and is confused
For me, I think Wes is a better option because once they have all your documents and verified with your school (if applicable), it takes them 3 weeks to evaluate your report. Even better for you cos you have the option of sending your transcripts through "digitary" (since you schooled in the U.K.
IQAS takes about 10weeks.

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
For me, I think Wes is a better option because once they have all your documents and verified with your school (if applicable), it takes them 3 weeks to evaluate your report. Even better for you cos you have the option of sending your transcripts through "digitary" (since you schooled in the U.K.
IQAS takes about 10weeks.
You have been a great help. Thank you