+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

We're really screwed. Please help us. My wife crying

WilsonC

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for everyone replying my post in the past.
We submitted our Medical Exam in Oct, 2018. And record shows they have received it.

My wife current status is Student Visa and it will expire in March 2019.
Today, I helped her applied Open Work Permit.
And I realized the following and really screwed us over.

We applied PR by "Sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada"

" Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
If your spouse or common-law partner leaves Canada before becoming a permanent resident, they may not be allowed to come back. This is especially true if they need a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA to enter Canada.
If your spouse or partner can’t return to Canada, you must submit a new overseas sponsorship application. "

So, if her Open Work Permit doesn't come thru by March 2019.
What are my options? She was born in Hong Kong. Hong Kong passport allow visitor to stay in Canada for Six months.

We are really lost at the moment. Please give us advise.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Vhan18

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for everyone replying my post in the past.
We submitted our Medical Exam in Oct, 2018. And record shows they have received it.

My wife current status is Student Visa and it will expire in March 2019.
Today, I helped her applied Open Work Permit.
And I realized the following and really screwed us over.

We applied PR by "Sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada"

" Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
If your spouse or common-law partner leaves Canada before becoming a permanent resident, they may not be allowed to come back. This is especially true if they need a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA to enter Canada.
If your spouse or partner can’t return to Canada, you must submit a new overseas sponsorship application. "

So, if her Open Work Permit doesn't come thru by March 2019.
What are my options? She was born in Hong Kong. Hong Kong passport allow visitor to stay in Canada for Six months.

We are really lost at the moment. Please give us advise.

Thank you for your kind attention.
you have option to apply for visitor visa extension to be on the safe side

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Since she has applied for a new open work permit, she probably has implied status:
And if you are really paranoid or want to play it safe, apply for an extension of her visa before it expires. There is no requirement for the spouse to be in status for a PR application, so the absolute worst case is her OWP is denied and she can’t work. They’ll still process the PR application.