+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welcome kit/Benefits for immigrants?

mits0829

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Is there a welcome kit or benefits upon landing there for PR?
I have heard that they provide some good benefits upon landing and can register for same at airport.

Please update if any information on same.

mits0829

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do not mind me asking what benefits do you have in mind anything specific ?
I am also researching on that. Had read online about welcome kit which has some useful things on discounted price or free e.g. mattress, etc.
But am not sure, so checking if anyone landed has experienced...

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Unless this is a more recent development, don't know anything about this. I certainly did not get one. There are some not for profit immigrant help organizations that do have some welcome packages though these are mostly sponsored by businesses who are looking for business. I did not get too much value from that, but perhaps you might. After you landed just look up immigrant help organizations in your province and call them. They will typically send a volunteer with some information packages.

Good luck

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
No, there are no free handouts for immigrants. Why should Canada give you free mattresses or anything else? You haven't contributed to Canada so don't expect anything from the people who have. You will be expected to work and support yourself.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not the government give you free mattress but you can get a lot of second hand items (mattress, tv, washer, dryer, table, chairs, etc) from a neighborhood sometimes for free. You can also check out yard sale, garage sale, liquidation sale and moving sale in your area.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Highly subsidized French as a second language classes were the only "benefits" that I enjoyed as an immigrant in this country.

Of course, they were immediately offset by the exorbitant car insurance premiums that I needed to pay as a newcomer.

thecalmestsea

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2017
Highly subsidized French as a second language classes were the only "benefits" that I enjoyed as an immigrant in this country.

Of course, they were immediately offset by the exorbitant car insurance premiums that I needed to pay as a newcomer.
Hey Sistemc, was this a specific school providing the subsidy for language classes or is there some govt programme?

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014

thecalmestsea

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2017
I am from Ottawa, and I enrolled into École des Adultes Le Carrefour FSL program. It was high quality program with excellent teachers. Cost 10 CAD (yes, that is ten dollars) for 60 hours course. They test your language skills before enrollment, and put you into one of the three levels.

More data at: https://www.google.ca/search?q=carrefour+french+as+second+language

and

http://carrefour.cepeo.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/07/Depliant-FLS-Ott-20172018web.pdf
Thank you :)

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be commenting about Ontario. There was such thing as newcomer pack. We got it at local cultural center (non profit organisation). It contained few little things like some small food samples, some coupons for food (corn flakes, sandwich spread and such). Then coupon for 500 CAD for new Ford car and 2k for certain type of appartment in Toronto (from certain company).
If you are asking for real discounts go after thrift shops and charity shops (Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity) and search there. Also sweep through kijiji to get second hand stuff cheaper.

Good luck

Bangkok16

Jun 24, 2015
I will be commenting about Ontario. There was such thing as newcomer pack. We got it at local cultural center (non profit organisation). It contained few little things like some small food samples, some coupons for food (corn flakes, sandwich spread and such). Then coupon for 500 CAD for new Ford car and 2k for certain type of appartment in Toronto (from certain company).
If you are asking for real discounts go after thrift shops and charity shops (Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity) and search there. Also sweep through kijiji to get second hand stuff cheaper.

Good luck
Could you, by any chance, remember the name of this organization, please? The organization that gave you the newcomer pack?

Thank you! :)

DayoJay

Apr 10, 2018
No, there are no free handouts for immigrants. Why should Canada give you free mattresses or anything else? You haven't contributed to Canada so don't expect anything from the people who have. You will be expected to work and support yourself.
The CIWA Centre for Women in Calgary give out free Mattresses to new female Immigrants though.