+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WEIRD sTuFf in Canada !! - humour, mmm, maybe - we all need a smile :)

spacey

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-01-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
Since we were on the topic of Beer. People find Canadian English strange times with its mix of British and American spelling(s) and then according to my husband the langague is just plain wrong- He is hyper annoyed with our plural use of the word beer. He always tells me although its one sheep two sheep the same does not apply to beer (1=beer, 2=beers). He has been trying to assmilate to our ways but this is something he wont accept. But this is also the man that can't say GarAge (rather than Garidge)properly :p

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although I notice this stuff (a lot), I don't want to try and convert all Canadians to Cockneys ;D

I am here to become a Canadian, change is good.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jade2010 said:
I think the weird thing I notice is that everyone's dog is "part wolf" :D
And nearly everyone in Canada is "part immigrant" :)

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I think that it's weird how friendly restaurant servers are. What's all this 'smiling' and 'being happy' when they take my order?!? Give me a 'what do ya want' with this face - :mad: - that I'm used to !! hee hee

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Unfortunately that is the same for some places over here, but it appears that the staff are working there as a hobby and not to get paid because they can't muster up a smile between them!! It is always nice to hear about their weekends rather than interrupt their chat and ask them to take our order...it's a good thing I had a snack in my bag today, my kids were going crazy waiting for their lunch!! ::)

VM-BASIC

Aug 17, 2010
Hiding in the bushes outside your house...
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 June 2011
Doc's Request.
More Police checks, 5 Nov 2011
Med's Done....
Nov 2010 and again Oct 25 2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
02 Feb 2012 at Cootes AB Woo Hoo
Random happenings in no particular order of strangness...
But some were more fun than others trying to get used to.

Standing at a bar waiting to be served, and being totally ignored because server is waiting for you to sit down so she can bring beer to you. Very dry mexican standoff until a kind Canuck explained.British thing I think.

Personal pet hate, people wearing ball caps while they eat in restaurants, gets my doing the facial contortions everytime.

Being asked by the neighbours of our village if I want to come in for a beer, not only is it before 10 am, but I was out jogging at the time. Missplaced politness I put it down to.

Trying to figure out what a gradge is (Garage)

Driving through a white out and being overtaken by a pick up truck doing 120 kph, apparently it`s a sign of weakness to not maintain highway speeds at all times.

Having drunken discussions with rednecks who refuse to accept that Crown Royal is not an acceptable equivalent to a good single malt from the Highlands

Hoodies.

Members of the Canadian Forces who refuse to communicate in English to other members of the forces. Bet thats fun in a contact.

Being stuck the wrong side of a level crossing , desperate to give birth in the bathroom while a mile long train crawls past.

Right turn on red.

A bouncer in a wheelchair??????????????/

Being refered to as "The Brit"

Staff in stores being genuinely helpfull, and appearing happy to do so.

Wearing a kilt in -30c, that caused a few conversation starters in Calgary.

Will post more if my beffudled brain comes up with any

spacey

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-01-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
VM-BASIC said:
Being refered to as "The Brit"
This made my laugh.

One of my favourite strange things that happens here is the stupid grins- especially women have whenever my husband opens his mouth and talks. I can remember being at KFC and my husband ordering something and having to ask three times, and the girl finally was like i did hear you i just wanted to listen to you talk. *rolls eyes* We were once followed around the store by some man who later admited he just wanted to listen to his accent.

My sisters fiance is Irish and can remember being out at a bar with a few of his buddies and we were standing around chatting and in the period of about an hour had 6 different people "confess" that they were Irish. Like common you were born here your parents and probably your grandparents "You are Canadian" through and through. We really do have this inferiority complex that it isn't good enough to be Canadian, we have to list our entire heritage! I wonder how many immigrants get to hear random peoples family trees in this country! lol

VM-BASIC

Aug 17, 2010
Hiding in the bushes outside your house...
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 June 2011
Doc's Request.
More Police checks, 5 Nov 2011
Med's Done....
Nov 2010 and again Oct 25 2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
02 Feb 2012 at Cootes AB Woo Hoo
I know what you mean Spacey, more so in the States than Canada, they have a real thing about hearing a British accent, despite mine being twinged with "Brummie" , and the whole," My aunties, neighbours , babysitters, cousins, cat feeders friend is Irish. Makes me feel soooo connected to the Old Country"

Give me an Honest Canadian Redneck any day

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
So funny. The confusion with politeness comes from too much time in the UK ! I can't remember the last time I got 'service with a smile'....does it even exist over here??

faithyou

Mar 8, 2011
Waterloo, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 8, 2011
AOR Received.
Sept. 2011
File Transfer...
Oct. 2011
Med's Done....
Dec. 2011
Passport Req..
January 2012, PPS Sent - February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
MARCH 2012 !!!
LANDED..........
already landed :))
lol... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dorina

Apr 5, 2011
Montreal,Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/31/2011
Interview........
March 21, 2012
LANDED..........
March 21, 2012 :)
I'll add to the list.

Firstly, Canadians ( in my opinion ) really are as polite as the stereotype we ( Americans ) have of them. Hehe. I have bumped into people ( accidently of course ) and had them apologize to ME.

In Quebec, everything including the liquor stores close early ( most days 6 p.m. for liquor and 9 p.m. for groceries ). In New York, we have 24 hour Walmarts and most stores are open at least until 11:30 - 12.

The driving is scary. I have seen on many occasions people driving in reverse for about 3-4 blocks and this on busy streets like St.Catherine and St. Denis. Yikes! My husband claims it's for parallel parking but I am doubtful.

I have come to love and enjoy food delivery services stores offer especially in winter when the last thing you want to do is lug 3 bags on your shoulders in knee deep snow.

So far just a few of the oddities I have come to notice... and enjoy.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Dorina said:
I'll add to the list.

The driving is scary. I have seen on many occasions people driving in reverse for about 3-4 blocks and this on busy streets like St.Catherine and St. Denis. Yikes! My husband claims it's for parallel parking but I am doubtful.
You must have settled in Montreal, Dorina. What part of America are you from, btw?

I refuse to drive there because the other drivers seem to make up their own road rules. Whenever we drive to MTL (like we will this weekend) I always offer to take the first shift (the 401 east across Toronto to Kingston). While that might also be a harrowing drive, at least in Ontario the drivers are predictable...120 in a blinding snowstorm as someone else mentioned but at least you can rely on it!

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
Haha, as a Canadian I have to laugh at all of the above, because it's true! Some things I grew up with and just don't notice until somebody points it out. Others are more glaring (as an English Canadian, I also find the drivers in Quebec horrendous). One last thing I agree with is the wearing of baseball caps in restaurants. My mother would have killed us if we wore a hat to the table, but for a younger generation it seems manners have gone out the window!

I do enjoy a comfortable hoodie, though...