+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wedding party ???

lovelyplanet

Sep 22, 2010
Dear all,

Please help me out for this situation.
I have already have marriage certificate with my girlfriend. However, we did not have any party for that since my mother likes another girl to be my wife. therefore i went back to my country and sign the document with my girlfriend secretly.
Now, i would like to sponsor her to Canada. Her service agent told us that the CIC will refuse this case 100% since we dont have a wedding party.
So far, what we have are the long relationship ( 6 years email, chat, ..letters, gifts ). marriage certificate, studio pictures that we dressed up like wedding.
Also when i go back to my country, i live in hotel and the received show that i and my wife lived there.

Is there any problem for my case ? Please help me out. Thank you very much.

W

waynevega

My wife and I married in Vegas last year and didn't have a wedding party. We did have however a honeymoon to Europe. We received First Stage of Approval without an interview and they never asked in writing about why there was no reception. I assume you mean a "reception"?.
Good luck.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
What you have to do is EXPLAIN all of that in detail with your application. Not everyone's families agree with the choices their family members make, and CIC will understand this. Is her family happy about the marriage? Perhaps they could write letters of support, which will help your case.

Large weddings and family support definitely help a case, but their absence does not mean it will be denied.

Put in an awsome application with TONS of evidence of your 6 years together. It sounds like large weddings are customary in your country, so be prepared for an interview. If you have the evidence and the explanations, you should be just fine.

PS. She isn't your girlfriend anymore -she's your wife!

lovelyplanet

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you for your reply.

1. Her helper saying that the important factor is my mother does not agree for us to be together, therefore the CIC will not approve this case since my parents against us. Is there a problem ?
Her parents totally support us, they help me everything.

2. For the contact, do we have to print out all the emails, chat .... Since we have a long relationship, my email bow is more than 1200 emails from her. The chat ... -->

3. Does anyone know the meaning of the #18 in the IMM 5490E spouse questions form ? The question is : Was there a reception ??? is that something related to the wedding ? since we did not have wedding party, the answer is no ???

Please help us out, thank you very much

maq0r

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bullshit

Your parents have nothing to do with it, so disregard any opinion regarding CIC refusing your case because of that.

What is this? 2nd grade in school?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
lovelyplanet said:

1. Her helper saying that the important factor is my mother does not agree for us to be together, therefore the CIC will not approve this case since my parents against us. Is there a problem ?

2. For the contact, do we have to print out all the emails, chat .... Since we have a long relationship, my email bow is more than 1200 emails from her. The chat ... -->

3. Does anyone know the meaning of the #18 in the IMM 5490E spouse questions form ? The question is : Was there a reception ??? is that something related to the wedding ? since we did not have wedding party, the answer is no ???

As for the emails, print out each of your inboxes (using screen captures) showing the hundreds of emails back and forth. It will show the sender, date sent and the subject line. We chose to print out one email a week from our 2 year relationship to add to that, so they could see the content.

As for the reception, answer 'no' and explain why not.

Your wife is getting some very bad advice. Save your money, use this forum as a resourse and do everything yourself - as long as you don't have any complicating factors like a criminal record. Your parents not knowing about the marriage is not a complicating factor, it is just one more thing in your application that must be explained.

L

limanoid

lovelyplanet said:

like a previous poster said, a "wedding party" is called a "reception". So if you didn't have a reception, then, yeah, your answer is "no". I guess if the sponsorship papers ask why, you have to give them an explanation. I'm not sure what I would write in your case. Though simply saying "my mother doesn't approve of the marriage" might not sound good. ha... But, so you know, not everyone has reception. I would write something a little more eloquent than that. Like maybe "Due to conflicts with my mother, we decided not to hold a reception for our wedding."?? And add a little more details if needed. AND then you should attach letters supporting the relationship from your wife's family and your friends or your family members that do approve of the marriage. This shows your relationship is not hidden -- something that is very important.

And I really doubt they will "100% refuse your case" due to your mother's disapproval. Sure, they might ask questions in an interview, but your mother's disapproval isn't grounds for refusal, I wouldn't think.

As for your emails and chats, I wouldn't send all the emails and chats. Imagine all the paper!! Maybe do a few screenshots of a search for emails from her. This will often show not only the number of emails from a person but it would show all the email with their subject headings along with a date -- this sort of erases the need to print all of the emails. Then you should send a sample of the emails from over the past years... I think 100 emails is a good number, so they can see the enormity of your communication. Maybe that's too much? But either way, get a good solid sampling of the emails. Do a similar thing with the chats.

In my experience, a woman can never be good enough for her husband's mother.... ::)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
lovelyplanet said:
I have already have marriage certificate with my girlfriend. However, we did not have any party for that since my mother likes another girl to be my wife. therefore i went back to my country and sign the document with my girlfriend secretly.
Now, i would like to sponsor her to Canada. Her service agent told us that the CIC will refuse this case 100% since we dont have a wedding party.
So far, what we have are the long relationship ( 6 years email, chat, ..letters, gifts ). marriage certificate, studio pictures that we dressed up like wedding.
Also when i go back to my country, i live in hotel and the received show that i and my wife lived there.
What country are you from? If it is a country where people usually marry someone their family chooses for them (an arranged marriage), then yes, your mother's disapproval and having had the ceremony in secret will be a problem. But it will not mean your application will be rejected.
Explain why you had the wedding in secret and why you didn't have a reception.
Get as much proof as possible of your 6 year relationship.
Get letters of support from her family and from your family that say they believe you have a genuine marriage. Your mother disapproves; but how do other relatives feel? If you can get letters of support from other close relatives, that would help a lot.

lovelyplanet

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks everyone,

The one thing i concern is that the CIC will slow down the process. In that case, does anyone know how long it take for that ?.
For sponsor a spouse, it is about 8-10 months. how about this case ? Thank you very much

Justincase

Jul 30, 2010
lovelyplanet said:

her helper is an a$$ trying to make money off of you guys ...its as simple as that

and being rejected just 'cus her mother not accepting doenst make sense , its common sense

her mother is not a canadian immigration minister or something

lovelyplanet

Sep 22, 2010
canadianwoman said:
What country are you from? If it is a country where people usually marry someone their family chooses for them (an arranged marriage), then yes, your mother's disapproval and having had the ceremony in secret will be a problem. But it will not mean your application will be rejected.
Explain why you had the wedding in secret and why you didn't have a reception.
Get as much proof as possible of your 6 year relationship.
Get letters of support from her family and from your family that say they believe you have a genuine marriage. Your mother disapproves; but how do other relatives feel? If you can get letters of support from other close relatives, that would help a lot.
Since my mom disapproves, my father does not support therefore my relatives does not feel comfortable to support me. that;s is why i came back secretly to do document with my wife.
What kind of support document from my wife parents that you mention above ?
If there is a problem, do you have any idea how long it gonna take ? Thank you very much

nae-nae

Apr 11, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2010
AOR Received.
sent on 27-09-10
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2011
LANDED..........
20-01-2011
I recommend having hers and your friends and relatives write letters about your relationship to submit with your application. If you can't get any of your relatives to write letters on your behalf, then ask your friends to do it. I think that if your family does not support you, it is most imporant to have her parents write a letter showing they know about your relationship and marriage and support it. Get them to write about when they found out about your relationship, what they have seen about your relationship - if they have seen you together they can give their opinion on the love that you share and how you behave with one another, that they know about your marriage and support it, things like that. If you are planning on having a party or "reception" in Canada after PR status is granted, make sure you indicate that in your application and your friends and relatives also indicate that in the letter. Many people get married and have a renewal of vows or party in Canada after PR status is granted (although this may not be so in your case, I don't know) If you had any kind of party with her family after the wedding, let them know about that and give photos to prove it.

Yes give them your emails, photos from the time you met up to the wedding, copies of phone bills, travel itineraries and plane tickets in those years, your hotel receipts...everything you can put together to prove the relationship is genuine.

Don't rely on what your wife's helper is telling her....come to this forum for advice and you will get the help you need.

good luck!

L

limanoid

lovelyplanet said:
Since my mom disapproves, my father does not support therefore my relatives does not feel comfortable to support me. that;s is why i came back secretly to do document with my wife.
What kind of support document from my wife parents that you mention above ?
If there is a problem, do you have any idea how long it gonna take ? Thank you very much
"Letters of support" are letters written and signed by someone who writes that they approve of your relationship and sponsorship. If you search "letters of support" in the search bar here on this forum, I think there must be a lot of people who write what you should put in it. Basically your wife's parents write that they approve of your two relationship. They can write:

- that they approve of your relationship and their daughter's choice of husband
- that they feel your relationship is a real one (and they could give reasons for this -- ie. affection, dedication to each other, etc)
- dates of when they met you and/or first heard of you from their daughter, when you told them of your marriage
- maybe they write about your good character
- etc etc etc

It's a letter not so much a "document". And they just sign it, they put their address and phone number so that they can be reached. This is what my family and friends did for me. Though I got three letters. But since you had a 'hidden' marriage, I would also try to get a second one maybe from one of your FRIENDS since your family is not going to write one.

jeans22

Apr 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I was putting together our application for PR, I found this post which really helped me when we asked for letters of support. Check it out -

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/relationship-support-letters-examples-t47010.0.html;msg344458#msg344458

Even though your mom does not approve of your marriage, I believe that if you can convince other members of your family and friends to write letters of support for you then your application will be that much better.

Good luck!!

lovelyplanet

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you everyone for giving me advices,

Does anyone know how long it would take for my case ? Please give me an estimate.

The support documents should be sent the same time when i send all document to the CIC office in Mississauga ?

Thank you very much.