+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

We want to make a baby while waiting for PR Visa

autechre

Mar 17, 2018
NOC Code......
Good day! We would like to make a baby after we submit medicals and all documents through express entry.
I understood it will take about 4-6 months to get a PR VISA after we submit our application. So it will be up to 6 months pregnancy for us if it works from start :) If it will be first month or second it is not safe to travel by plane, we will wait till it is 4th month. So if we are landed on month 4 , we would need check ups and deliver sometimes comes earlier like 7th month, what would be best strategy?
Can we get immediate health coverage from government for my wife if we rent a flat in a province when there is no waiting time (maybe Alberta?)?
Can midwifes help us for free, if we are not covered? I've read that insurance covers usually like 80% only - which can be very expensive, so I would rather go for government health card. Also private insurance requires to pay 10 months before delivery - but can we buy it from outside Canada if still waiting for PR VISA? not sure...
Can we land in one province with immediate coverage and then move to Ontario after birth?
Any other suggestions for us, please share, I would like my wife to get birth in Canada

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You sound like your goal is just birth in Canada.

Your idea is very risky. I would encourage you to wait until you have PR. You are not always guaranteed insurance, especially if you're gaming the system of residence, and a baby delivery could be tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

No midwives will help you for free. Alberta may not cover your expenses if you move immediately. There are residency requirements to consider.

Just wait six months.

Reactions: sao_18

autechre

Mar 17, 2018
NOC Code......
Ok, maybe it is not good idea to change province of residence. Maybe we can go directly to Ontario or BC and wait for 3 months for state insurance. There are complications sometimes which can be covered by Canada private insurance or home country travel insurance. We don't want birth only - we just don't want to wait additional 4-6 months. What are the risks exactly?
Regarding midwives for free, I've heard there are community services for those in need or without governmental coverage - not sure how it works and how good the conditions are there

Grizz

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Good day! We would like to make a baby after we submit medicals and all documents through express entry.
I understood it will take about 4-6 months to get a PR VISA after we submit our application. So it will be up to 6 months pregnancy for us if it works from start :) If it will be first month or second it is not safe to travel by plane, we will wait till it is 4th month. So if we are landed on month 4 , we would need check ups and deliver sometimes comes earlier like 7th month, what would be best strategy?
Can we get immediate health coverage from government for my wife if we rent a flat in a province when there is no waiting time (maybe Alberta?)?
Can midwifes help us for free, if we are not covered? I've read that insurance covers usually like 80% only - which can be very expensive, so I would rather go for government health card. Also private insurance requires to pay 10 months before delivery - but can we buy it from outside Canada if still waiting for PR VISA? not sure...
Can we land in one province with immediate coverage and then move to Ontario after birth?
Any other suggestions for us, please share, I would like my wife to get birth in Canada
You’re just going to complicate things. Hold on mate

Reactions: sao_18 and autechre

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ok, maybe it is not good idea to change province of residence. Maybe we can go directly to Ontario or BC and wait for 3 months for state insurance. There are complications sometimes which can be covered by Canada private insurance or home country travel insurance. We don't want birth only - we just don't want to wait additional 4-6 months. What are the risks exactly?
Regarding midwives for free, I've heard there are community services for those in need or without governmental coverage - not sure how it works and how good the conditions are there
If there is any kind of complication with your pregnancy, the midwife will take you to a hospital, which will cost you tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands.

Wait the four to six months. Especially since there is no guarantee that your PR application will take 4-6 months, some people have had to wait for almost a year.

If your wife is pregnant when you apply for PR, the doctors may refuse to do the x-ray required for the medical exam, delaying your PR until after the pregnancy.

Don't make this as complicated as possible.

Reactions: sao_18 and autechre

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You're taking unnecessary risk. A pregnancy is a big deal and you are planning to move to a new country with no idea of the health system at the same time? Also think about the emotional/mental aspects of it. My wife and I had a baby last year and there are lots of things that can happen and you do NOT want to be worried about the costs, or finding a doctor, or figuring out which hospital to deliver in.

And if you move in the winter, and you're not used to it.. do you want to be doing all this while dealing with -15 C temperatures for the first time?

Just wait six months.

Reactions: autechre

autechre

Mar 17, 2018
NOC Code......
Thanks for the tips, friends. We'll try to postpone our dream. But here is what I've found it, in case somebody needs this info:
There is Arbetov Insurance company for such cases. They have an insurance for 3 months for pregnancy complications for about 300$. Also if we want to get pregnant soon they have 12-month insurance (but doesn't work if you get pregnant within 2 months of start of insurance) , which covers delivery (though only up to 10 000$) for about 1100$. The problem is the second option is complicated - as it is not easy to conceive a baby exactly on some day, for some of my friends it took 6-12 months, so this 12 month coverage looks useless. But first option is still quite a solution if arriving on months 4-5, then after 3 months state coverage kicks in and covers delivery costs (which are 10 000 to 20 000 typically if you pay in cash). There might be some minor costs like check-up scans (monthly), but should not be so high. Even if you consider ecology - in my city it is awful, so it might be safer to fly to Canada taking all the risks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you just wait until you have PR, you won't need to pay anything.

Again - if your wife is pregnant before you have PR your doctors may refuse to complete her medical exam, which would delay your PR until after she has given birth.