+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"We started processing your application on.." what does this mean??

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I am not one to start a new topic unnecessarily but I would like some input on what
"we started processing your application on xxxx" actually means?

It's almost a magical feeling to see that that 'third line' on ecas....someone aptly described this as 'Post IP Blues'.

Just to clarify, I am referring to PA's ecas status

*Mandie*

AG317

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
Doc's Request.
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
29-03-2016
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
03-12-2015 Re-Done 23-03-2017
Passport Req..
31-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2017
LANDED..........
20-04-017
Hey, i found this in another thread, figured it might help

OLD IN PROCESS VS NEW IN PROCESS

APPLICATION RECEIVED:

This status on Ecas used to appear when the VO was checking the application fees were paid, All sponsorship forms were dated and signed, all the supporting documents were present ( If not, they could request any missing document) at this stage they used to check the qualitative of your file. Usually the Officer who received people's files when they came fresh from CPC Ontario will do everything we just mentioned above and put a 3 months BFD on your file to be reviewed by another officer and placed it in a queue, Then send AOR2. some VO did not even send AOR2. After 3 months an officer will open your file again and begin to do some work, your ecas still showing APPLICTION RECEIVED. The first thing that officer will do is to work on Eligibility between the SPONSOR and PA. The officer will pay close attention on age differences, religious background if the relationship is ongoing, no red flag, or fake documentation, the officer will check if the quantitative and qualitative of docs you sent. If you happened to order your GCMS at this point you will see ELIGIBILITY: IN PROGRESS, and Ecas would displayed

We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000

Even if medicals were done at this point, lots of people's applications back then did not displayed Medical Received at this stage on Ecas. when the officer approved your Eligibility at this point, your Ecas would show IN PROCESS and if your were to order your GCMS Notes would then show ELIGIBILITY: PASS. It is a sign that there would not be an interview. the case was not over yet.

IN PROCESS: We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000
We started processing JON DOE'S Permanent Residence Application on 01.03.2000

At this point the officer will request SECURITY checks and CRIMINALITY checks to other government offices who are responsible to do so. at this point no matter how long your file would take it was not the VO's fault neither yours but CSIS. Just to add flesh to the bone, let's say you requested your GCMS 4 months after your application went IN PROCESS, you might see at any page pertaining to SECURITY/CRIMINALITY would have S.15 (1) or S.19 (1) on the right top corner. Sometimes CRIMINALITY Checks may come back quickly and the officer would updated your file and keep waiting for Security.Then your GCMS will show.

Eligibility: Pass
Criminality: Pass
Medicals : Pass

Sometimes they may hid Security Checks even if it is finished according to Subscription 15 (1) for international affaires and defense. If the RPRF is not paid and the officer did not want to extend your Medicals if they were expired, he/she will issue a request for those document, even PPR. Some people reported seeing on GCMS Notes

Security : Pass
Medical : In progress or Pass

DECISION MADE:We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000
Medical Results have been received
Decision has been made on your application and the office will contact you in writing about this decision

At this point when Ecas displayed Medical results have been received which was the 3rd line, any applicants used to know that their application were almost done.

Back then Decision made without re- medical, Medical request or PPR was a sign of rejection and a good number of people used to know that their applications were rejected until they received their decision made letters to be double sure. Things have changed so much and will keep changing.

The NEW IN PROCESS has replaced the old status called APPLICATION RECEIEVED if it says:

IN PROCESS: We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000

This way you are not off of the interview's hook yet, they just update your Ecas with those 2 lines they will only show the date they started processing your file when Eligibility passes and background checks have then begun. You will mostly likely see the third line after months and months when your file has matured for PPR and ready for a decision. Hopefully this helped

Warm Regards and good luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It doesn't really mean anything except that the VO decided to update your ECAS.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
AG317, that's outdated info. Eagle333 should edit that post of his because it's confusing a lot of people.

To answer OP's question, seeing that line on ECAS means that the second VO has received your file. It does not mean that they're actually working on it, which is what many of us originally thought. Take my case for example: I ordered my GCMS notes about 30 days after seeing that line on ECAS, and the notes told me that they hadn't touched my file and had simply shelved it away after receiving it from CPC Mississauga. There's also another member who ordered her GCMS notes 2+ months after getting that line on ECAS, and she also found that her file was still on the shelf with a "put away" status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flx2015 said:
AG317, that's outdated info. Eagle333 should edit that post of his because it's confusing a lot of people.

To answer OP's question, seeing that line on ECAS means that the second VO has received your file. It does not mean that they're actually working on it, which is what many of us originally thought. Take my case for example: I ordered my GCMS notes about 30 days after seeing that line on ECAS, and the notes told me that they hadn't touched my file and had simply shelved it away after receiving it from CPC Mississauga. There's also another member who ordered her GCMS notes 2+ months after getting that line on ECAS, and she also found that her file was still on the shelf with a "put away" status.
It may be applicable for an Outland applicant, because they are proceed differently than Inland applicants.

Inland applicants must not only have sponsor approval (SA) but also Approval in Principle (AIP), before their status shows as in-process. This is because Inlanders must be found to be eligible for sponsorship before their application technically goes in-process, This just means that the relationship with the sponsor has been verified.

Outland applicants only need to have SA, before their applications then go into in-process. Their eligibility (relationship) is determined during their process.

Same applies for the sponsor's portion of the application, but it's reversed:

Inland sponsors show "We started working on your application on..." well over a year (closer to 16 months), before they really even touch it.

Outland sponsors are usually approved within a couple of months, which means that in their case...CIC really is working on it.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
Ponga said:
It may be applicable for an Outland applicant, because they are proceed differently than Inland applicants.

Inland applicants must not only have sponsor approval (SA) but also Approval in Principle (AIP), before their status shows as in-process. This is because Inlanders must be found to be eligible for sponsorship before their application technically goes in-process, This just means that the relationship with the sponsor has been verified.

Outland applicants only need to have SA, before their applications then go into in-process. Their eligibility (relationship) is determined during their process.

Same applies for the sponsor's portion of the application, but it's reversed:

Inland sponsors show "We started working on your application on..." well over a year (closer to 16 months), before they really even touch it.

Outland sponsors are usually approved within a couple of months, which means that in their case...CIC really is working on it.
im not so sure what to believe now. i mean, my app has that ecas line, but my gcms notes show that they haven't started with anything and that my file has been put away. i saw the same thing on another member's gcms notes as well.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks Pongo, Flx2015
I am actually looking at the PA's side of things.....I am referring to post SA, aka the VO stage.

*Mandie*

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
mandiebraxton said:
Thanks Pongo, Flx2015
I am actually looking at the PA's side of things.....I am referring to post SA, aka the VO stage.

*Mandie*
yeah the PA side is what i was referring to as well. my gcms notes just don't show any activity on the PA side even after getting that line on ecas. everything apart from medical was "not started", and the file itself had the status "put away".

ALMALL

Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
File Transfer...
8-2-2016
Med's Request
2-2-2016 received
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2016 on transit
that line in the PA side is like magic updating the applicant but it is just like AUTOMATED MACHINE that they didn't touch the application, yet they are updating to "we started processing your application"...

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
My understanding is it was like AOR again. They have your app and are getting to it.

Also, Post IP blues was my jam XD <3

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
ayrazar said:
Also, Post IP blues was my jam XD <3
majority of us still are still stuck in that phase and will most likely stay stuck there for several more months.

AG317

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
Doc's Request.
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
29-03-2016
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
31-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2017
LANDED..........
20-04-017
flx2015 said:

We haven't even gotten our 3rd line (we started processing) on the PR side yet, but have already received a request for additional documents today. That being said, our VO is Lima, one of the absolute fastest! Additional documents were requested only 1 week after SA. Last year Lima was ending out PPRs after only two weeks. Not sure if that helps at all.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
AG317 said:
We haven't even gotten our 3rd line (we started processing) on the PR side yet, but have already received a request for additional documents today. That being said, our VO is Lima, one of the absolute fastest! Additional documents were requested only 1 week after SA. Last year Lima was ending out PPRs after only two weeks. Not sure if that helps at all.
that's a little odd. one of eagle333's posts mentioned that the people at the 2nd VO checked files for completeness before putting them on the shelf for later processing, so perhaps this might be what you're seeing here. just my guess.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
AG317 said:
Hey, i found this in another thread, figured it might help

OLD IN PROCESS VS NEW IN PROCESS

APPLICATION RECEIVED:

This status on Ecas used to appear when the VO was checking the application fees were paid, All sponsorship forms were dated and signed, all the supporting documents were present ( If not, they could request any missing document) at this stage they used to check the qualitative of your file. Usually the Officer who received people's files when they came fresh from CPC Ontario will do everything we just mentioned above and put a 3 months BFD on your file to be reviewed by another officer and placed it in a queue, Then send AOR2. some VO did not even send AOR2. After 3 months an officer will open your file again and begin to do some work, your ecas still showing APPLICTION RECEIVED. The first thing that officer will do is to work on Eligibility between the SPONSOR and PA. The officer will pay close attention on age differences, religious background if the relationship is ongoing, no red flag, or fake documentation, the officer will check if the quantitative and qualitative of docs you sent. If you happened to order your GCMS at this point you will see ELIGIBILITY: IN PROGRESS, and Ecas would displayed

We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000

Even if medicals were done at this point, lots of people's applications back then did not displayed Medical Received at this stage on Ecas. when the officer approved your Eligibility at this point, your Ecas would show IN PROCESS and if your were to order your GCMS Notes would then show ELIGIBILITY: PASS. It is a sign that there would not be an interview. the case was not over yet.

At this point the officer will request SECURITY checks and CRIMINALITY checks to other government offices who are responsible to do so. at this point no matter how long your file would take it was not the VO's fault neither yours but CSIS. Just to add flesh to the bone, let's say you requested your GCMS 4 months after your application went IN PROCESS, you might see at any page pertaining to SECURITY/CRIMINALITY would have S.15 (1) or S.19 (1) on the right top corner. Sometimes CRIMINALITY Checks may come back quickly and the officer would updated your file and keep waiting for Security.Then your GCMS will show.

Medicals : Pass

Sometimes they may hid Security Checks even if it is finished according to Subscription 15 (1) for international affaires and defense. If the RPRF is not paid and the officer did not want to extend your Medicals if they were expired, he/she will issue a request for those document, even PPR. Some people reported seeing on GCMS Notes

Security : Pass
Medical : In progress or Pass

DECISION MADE:We have received JON DOE's Permanent Residence Application on 01.01.2000
Decision has been made on your application and the office will contact you in writing about this decision

At this point when Ecas displayed Medical results have been received which was the 3rd line, any applicants used to know that their application were almost done.

Back then Decision made without re- medical, Medical request or PPR was a sign of rejection and a good number of people used to know that their applications were rejected until they received their decision made letters to be double sure. Things have changed so much and will keep changing.

The NEW IN PROCESS has replaced the old status called APPLICATION RECEIEVED if it says:

This way you are not off of the interview's hook yet, they just update your Ecas with those 2 lines they will only show the date they started processing your file when Eligibility passes and background checks have then begun. You will mostly likely see the third line after months and months when your file has matured for PPR and ready for a decision. Hopefully this helped

Warm Regards and good luck
An interesting an interesting challenge to Eagle's post by Sashali78:

1. WRONG: "After 3 months an officer will open your file again and begin to do some work, your ecas still showing APPLICTION RECEIVED".
CORRECT: The actual amount of time after which file will be opened and assessed for eligibility can be anywhere from 0 months to 2 years, depending on the visa office and backlog in that office. For example Paris vs London (non-UK applicants)
2. WRONG: "At this point when Ecas displayed Medical results have been received which was the 3rd line, any applicants used to know that their application were almost done."
CORRECT: For sponsorship applications, for MOST applications the medicals are being done upfront and therefore for MOST people the line about medicals was present all the time. In any case, appearance of this line means absolutely nothing.
3. WRONG: "Back then Decision made without re- medical, Medical request or PPR was a sign of rejection and a good number of people used to know that their applications were rejected until they received their decision made letters to be double sure"
CORRECT: That was never the case for sponsorship applications. It was the case for economic class applications though.
4. WRONG: "The NEW IN PROCESS has replaced the old status called APPLICATION RECEIEVED if it says: ...
This way you are not off of the interview's hook yet, they just update your Ecas with those 2 lines they will only show the date they started processing your file when Eligibility passes and background checks have then begun"
CORRECT: The new in process meaning that your file have been received in the VO, the case officer went over the file, checked it for completeness and usually will request any additional or missing documents. No processing or eligibility review has been started
5. WRONG: "You will mostly likely see the third line after months and months when your file has matured for PPR and ready for a decision."
CORRECT: For some VO, the eligibility review happens within a month or two, for example Paris, Sao Paolo, Singapore in certain cases. For other PPR happens almost immediately while decision will not be made for months to come (Manila for example).

*Mandie*

AG317

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
Doc's Request.
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
29-03-2016
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
31-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2017
LANDED..........
20-04-017
mandiebraxton said:
An interesting an interesting challenge to Eagle's post by Sashali78:

1. WRONG: "After 3 months an officer will open your file again and begin to do some work, your ecas still showing APPLICTION RECEIVED".
CORRECT: The actual amount of time after which file will be opened and assessed for eligibility can be anywhere from 0 months to 2 years, depending on the visa office and backlog in that office. For example Paris vs London (non-UK applicants)
2. WRONG: "At this point when Ecas displayed Medical results have been received which was the 3rd line, any applicants used to know that their application were almost done."
CORRECT: For sponsorship applications, for MOST applications the medicals are being done upfront and therefore for MOST people the line about medicals was present all the time. In any case, appearance of this line means absolutely nothing.
3. WRONG: "Back then Decision made without re- medical, Medical request or PPR was a sign of rejection and a good number of people used to know that their applications were rejected until they received their decision made letters to be double sure"
CORRECT: That was never the case for sponsorship applications. It was the case for economic class applications though.
4. WRONG: "The NEW IN PROCESS has replaced the old status called APPLICATION RECEIEVED if it says: ...
This way you are not off of the interview's hook yet, they just update your Ecas with those 2 lines they will only show the date they started processing your file when Eligibility passes and background checks have then begun"
CORRECT: The new in process meaning that your file have been received in the VO, the case officer went over the file, checked it for completeness and usually will request any additional or missing documents. No processing or eligibility review has been started
5. WRONG: "You will mostly likely see the third line after months and months when your file has matured for PPR and ready for a decision."
CORRECT: For some VO, the eligibility review happens within a month or two, for example Paris, Sao Paolo, Singapore in certain cases. For other PPR happens almost immediately while decision will not be made for months to come (Manila for example).

*Mandie*
Thank You Mandie, very interesting! May I ask where you got all that information from?
I feel like most of this is just a guessing game