+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

We made a mistake on the dates of statutory declaration of common law

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Typically, IRCC has asked for additional evidence if what was provided with the application is not sufficient. There have been many here that have reported being asked to provide additional info/detail by a certain date. I don't know that applications were denied without asking for more proof for cohabiting with their sponsor in the class, even if they were living with family.
I don't think those cases had statutory declarations that misstated dates (rather dramatically) - i.e. circumstances different.

And getting married to circumvent the issue is moot, IMHO; there can be little doubt that if the two are still cohabiting under the same roof (even if still living with family) they are more than qualified to apply again as common-law partners. Marriage certainly is a valid option if they are ready for that step.
This entire case would never have occurred had they married, and I see no reason why rational people, after having gone through this all, would risk any issues on a second app. Stakes too high. But yes, it is too late to 'circumvent' for this first app.

But I repeat that my underlying position is: ain't ready to marry, ain't ready to common law. (In this case, in more than one sense)

Reactions: juhanjuhanjuhan

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One of the senior lawyer mentioned that our case seems to be very strong given the fact that the rest of the document indicates the correct date and only the common-law document is not. And they find it outrageous because they have encountered much more difficult cases where the visa officer is much more considerate. : <
FWIW I think the case is strong to avoid misrepresentation; I don't have access to the rest of the evidence in support of common law to comment more than raw speculation.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone.

Just giving an update. We have been invited for a relationship interview, and this is honestly building our anxiety.
The interviewer is a C&I officer. Any insight

Dear -----,

In reference to your Application for Permanent Residence under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class, please note that an in-person interview of yourself and your sponsor is required.

Location of interview will be: IRCC office in Hamilton, Ontario, 55 Bay Street North, Hamilton, ON

At this time, I am enquiring as to whether you would be available to attend the IRCC Hamilton office on Thursday November 9, 2023, at 1:00pm.

Once I receive your availability information, I will send a detailed interview request letter.

Sincerely,

----- C & I Officer, Domestic Network | C&I Officer, Réseau national

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone.

Just giving an update. We have been invited for a relationship interview, and this is honestly building our anxiety.
Are you still residing together? In Canada?

Look, at this point, short of being charged with misrepresentation (which I doubt will happen), I don't think you have much to worry about. (Obviously will depend when you get the detailed information letter but they're usually "bring docs and dates.")

-Go over your information in the original application, the stuff the lawyer submitted, and your basic dates.
-Compile some additional on your continued cohabitation date until now. Be ready to answer questions, and separately. As I recall you were living with parents - hope you now have FAR better documentation to show cohabitation.

Now, approach:
-Be upfront and direct about the original mistaken date - it's a dumb typo and it's your fault, sorry. All of this could probably have been avoided without that. We made a mistake but didn't try to hide it, answered question truthfully when asked.
-After that, no apologies: you are a real couple, residing together, and if this application is refused, you're just going to apply again, but now with two and a half years of cohabitation and better documentation.

(Obviously only if the above is truthful and factual, adjust as I didn't check the dates carefully.)

If you had the time, I'd consider preparing an entirely new application and saying "look timelines are quicker now for inland and if you're not going to decide this fast, could we withdraw the original application and apply right now? We're ready and it's a clean app that should be easy to process. Should be quicker and easier for everyone than a long wait and appeal."

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone.

Relationship interviews are only called when IRCC has concerns about the relationship. You've gotten your dates very mixed up in your application and also confused them in your posts. So you want to make sure you have your dates 100% clear in the interview. There's no room for error at this point. Bring evidence to prove your period of cohabitation up to the present time (but also especially for the 1 year before you submitted your application).

The thread below may give you an idea of the kinds of questions they might ask. But it's not guaranteed to be questions from this list. It's just a list that's been compiled from the experiences of others: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-interview-questions.157678/

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
To Armoured and Scylla, thanks for all your help, guys! We finished the interview and the results were in. We just got an email.

I have a few questions
  1. Is this what they call an AIP or not?
  2. He's done medicals, security and background check before as well as biometrics, how come he needs to do it again? Also, as a sponsor, do I need to do this too?
Dear ------:

This letter refers to your Application for Permanent Residence under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner
in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a
member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not
be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These
requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your
family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this
time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these
requirements. Please refer to future correspondence for further information on additional requirements.

Important: Your application for permanent residence could be refused if:
  • You and your family members do not meet all the statutory requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
  • You receive a letter asking for a reply and fail to respond within the requested timeframe.
  • You fail to advise Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of any changes to your address. Changes to your contact information should be made through our online service at www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp.
  • You are not self-supporting. Persons in receipt of social assistance or welfare benefits, either directly or indirectly, are defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act as inadmissible persons.
  • You do not have a valid sponsorship. For example, if your sponsor withdraws his or her support prior to you being determined to be a Permanent Resident.
If preliminary information indicates that you meet all statutory requirements, you will receive a letter asking
you to attend an interview at the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada Centre in your area.
A final determination on your application for permanent residence will be made at this interview. If you do,
not attend this interview, it could be interpreted as a lack of interest in permanent residence and your
application could be refused.

Applying for an open work permit and/or study permit
If you have not already done so, you may now apply for an open work permit, which will allow you to work
in the occupation and location of your choice. You may also apply for a study permit. If applying for a
study permit, please ensure you include a letter from the educational institution you plan to attend. The
letter should outline the type of course or program for which you are registered, the start date and the
expected completion date. To obtain the correct forms, please visit the Immigration, Refugees, and
The Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website is at www.cic.gc.ca.

When should I contact IRCC?
You must also notify IRCC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
  • Change in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and include evidence to indicate the status in Canada of all persons listed in your Application for Permanent Residence;
  • Changes in your personal circumstances, including birth or adoption of a child, death of a family member, a marriage or a divorce;
  • If you have a child, you must specify whether or not he/she is to be added to this application. If that child is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, please provide a copy of their document which details his/her status in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth certificate,
  • Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian permanent resident card, etc.).
  • Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number);
  • Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual; and/or
  • Decision to withdraw your application. Note that you have the option to withdraw your applicationat any point in the process, provided that a final decision has not been made on the Application for
Permanent Residence.
How do I check the status of my application?
You may use your 8-digit Unique Client Identifier number located at the top right of this correspondence
to check the status of your application on the IRCC website. Please visit www.cic.gc.ca and select “Check
your application status”. Alternatively, you may contact the IRCC call center at 1-888-242-2100.
How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times by visiting the IRCC website at
www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp. Please note that, given the high volume of inquiries
submitted to IRCC offices, status updates on cases are not normally provided unless the processing time
for a file is longer than the service standards outlined in the IRCC website.

Sincerely,
C&I Officer
Hamilton IRCC

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To Armoured and Scylla, thanks for all your help, guys! We finished the interview and the results were in. We just got an email.

I have a few questions
  1. Is this what they call an AIP or not?
  2. He's done medicals, security and background check before as well as biometrics, how come he needs to do it again? Also, as a sponsor, do I need to do this too?
1. I don't know, I'll let others answer - I think this is a bit different than usual because they're saying you meet eligibility to apply for PR. I read this as approval/confirmation - in the context of what has happened so far - of the fact that your spouse counts as your common law spouse (and hence eligible to be sponsored).
2. I do not read this as meaning biometrics or medicals need to be done (again) - this is boilerplate language advising that applicant and dependents (if any) may have to do them. Just wait for that 'future correspondence' which will clarify if any of these need to be done again.

My guess is that most of the rest is internal processing and that they've confirmed the eligiblity question (common law status) and relationship (basically at same time/interview). It's probably likely that most of the background check has been done if not formally finalized. So the remainder could go 'quickly' - but I do not know if quickly means eg one month or four. Let's cross our fingers and hope more quickly.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Everyone!

Finally! After a 2-year wait, a mistake on our common-law declaration, and a nerve-wracking relationship interview, my partner's application is now updated to reflect the decision made in ECAS.

We also got his COPR number on the PR tracker. What are the next steps, please? How will we get his COPR and his PR card? Is he approved since he got his COPR document number already? :eek:

Images of how the tracker looks like at the moment.

Thank you so much!

• Love
Reactions: sunny2710

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Finally! After a 2-year wait, a mistake on our common-law declaration, and a nerve-wracking relationship interview, my partner's application is now updated to reflect the decision made in ECAS.

We also got his COPR number on the PR tracker. What are the next steps, please? How will we get his COPR and his PR card? Is he approved since he got his COPR document number already? :eek:
With eligibility complete and decision made, it should be soon, but you'll just have to wait. Generally the COPR # itself does not mean much but the other steps do.

In due course - again, no idea how long - should get invite for the portal for virtual landing.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone!

Finally we got a confirmation that my partner's application is approved! Thank God!

We just got a PR portal email and I have a question.

Welcome to the Permanent Resident Confirmation portal process.

The attached PDF contains information regarding the confirmation portal process.

It says the following:

Next steps:

In your reply to this email, fill in the information for yourself and for each member of your family. If you are not sure of the exact date(s) of your entries to Canada, you can provide your best estimate.

As the principal applicant, you will act on behalf of your dependants. If you would prefer your dependants to have their own accounts, please indicate so in your reply to this email.

Name:
UCI:
Application #:
Email for the Permanent Resident Portal:
Your eye colour:
Your height (please provide in cm):
Original entry date (YYYY/MM/DD):
Date of last time you entered Canada (YYYY/MM/DD):
Location of where you last entered:
Are you currently inside Canada? (Yes/No):
If you are not inside Canada, when is your expected return date?:
If you are not inside Canada, please specify your current location (city and country):

If you cannot access online tools such as the portal, or if you experience any technical issues with the portal, please let us know by replying to this email.

-----

- Is it just asking for the principal applicant details or should I include my details as the sponsor too? I do not have my application number from my old application as it was years ago. Thank you so much for the answers ahead. We cannot wait to reply to this email

Reactions: ERCAN and scylla

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
- Is it just asking for the principal applicant details or should I include my details as the sponsor too? I do not have my application number from my old application as it was years ago. Thank you so much for the answers ahead. We cannot wait to reply to this email
Only for the principal applicant.

It is (or should be) addressed to the principal applicant, and the dependents referred to / of relevance are those included in the app (as applying to become PRs.)

So no, doesn't refer to you as sponsor.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Only for the principal applicant.

It is (or should be) addressed to the principal applicant, and the dependents referred to / of relevance are those included in the app (as applying to become PRs.)

So no, doesn't refer to you as sponsor.
Thank you so much Armoured!

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone, it's me again.

Does anyone know how we can upload the front and back of the photo on the PR portal? It says that we can upload the front on the PR portal but there's no option to upload the back of the photo. Wondering if anyone had encountered an issue like this?