+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

We are on PR in Canada but my sisters in law applied asylum.Are we going to have any problem?

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
Me my wife and my two kids are the permanent residents of Canada from 1 and half year and my third child born in Canada. I am currently employed and working as a full time and also a tax payer.

Two of my sisters in law came on visit visa and applied asylum few months ago. We haven’t sponsored them, nor we are supporting or attach with their case in anyway. We are not aware whether they have mentioned us in their application or not. I just wanted to know does it have any impact on us if we travel outside Canada or apply for Citizenship in future?

I would be thankful and appreciate if you could please reply to my query

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Me my wife and my two kids are the permanent residents of Canada from 1 and half year and my third child born in Canada. I am currently employed and working as a full time and also a tax payer.

Two of my sisters in law came on visit visa and applied asylum few months ago. We haven’t sponsored them, nor we are supporting or attach with their case in anyway. We are not aware whether they have mentioned us in their application or not. I just wanted to know does it have any impact on us if we travel outside Canada or apply for Citizenship in future?

I would be thankful and appreciate if you could please reply to my query
No, it won't have any effect on your application since you didn't sponsored them. If you are mention in their basic of claim, immigration will definitely contact you via mail with details. Other than that, you're good.

Reactions: handsomeplayer

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
No, it won't have any effect on your application since you didn't sponsored them. If you are mention in their basic of claim, immigration will definitely contact you via mail with details. Other than that, you're good.
What if they have mentioned us in their claim would that be any issue? Because I don't know whether they have mentioned us in their claim or not and they are not telling the truth as well.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
What if they have mentioned us in their claim would that be any issue? Because I don't know whether they have mentioned us in their claim or not and they are not telling the truth as well.
If I may ask, were you previously a protected person or conventional refugee? Even, if they mention your family in their claims, it will be detrimental to them and not you. As the tribunal (IRB) and immigration, normally will serve you a notice. Moreover, you need to acknowledge or sign certain forms in order to be a party in the claim. You're not likely to be affected. I know of a claimant, that included a family in her refugee claim. Because they know each other, without informing the family. When this innocent family got mail from the refugee board, they quickly denied the claimant. Stating that they weren't aware of such event or having knowledge or party to the claim.

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
If I may ask, were you previously a protected person or conventional refugee? Even, if they mention your family in their claims, it will be detrimental to them and not you. As the tribunal (IRB) and immigration, normally will serve you a notice. Moreover, you need to acknowledge or sign certain forms in order to be a party in the claim. You're not likely to be affected. I know of a claimant, that included a family in her refugee claim. Because they know each other, without informing the family. When this innocent family got mail from the refugee board, they quickly denied the claimant. Stating that they weren't aware of such event or having knowledge or party to the claim.
No we were not on asylum before. We came to this country as Permanent Residents. Never applied or involved in any Refugee or asylum case. Nor we signed any form for them.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It won’t affect you directly. As stated above, other family members will likely find it difficult to get any sort of temporary visa to Canada in the future.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
No we were not on asylum before. We came to this country as Permanent Residents. Never applied or involved in any Refugee or asylum case. Nor we signed any form for them.
Did you invited them or they came in with other means as a visitor (hotel) and are they using your address for mail?

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
expect that any visitors you invite will face a lot of scrutiny in the future.
I have recently
It won’t affect you directly. As stated above, other family members will likely find it difficult to get any sort of temporary visa to Canada in the future.
Let me clarify one more thing here me and my wife are different nationalities. My wife came as my dependent with me to Canada.
Would it be difficult for my relatives if I call them as visitors like my brothers and sisters.

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
Did you invited them or they came in with other means as a visitor (hotel) and are they using your address for mail?
No we haven't invited them nor we have booked any hotel for them. They came in different province in fact we haven't met them since they came to Canada. They never visited us or live with us

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I have recently

Let me clarify one more thing here me and my wife are different nationalities. My wife came as my dependent with me to Canada.
Would it be difficult for my relatives if I call them as visitors like my brothers and sisters.
It’s possible that your siblings will find it difficult. As part of the application for a TRV you need to include immediate family and where they live. IRCC can tie all that information together.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
No we haven't invited them nor we have booked any hotel for them. They came in different province in fact we haven't met them since they came to Canada. They never visited us or live with us
Then, I believe you are good. Even, if you included them in your PR application (Family Information), IRCC has policy in which the CIC officers will consider your case on the merit and if necessary ask for explanation. Definitely, you'll get a letter to respond about your in-laws if you make any application that will be affected. Since, you never invited them, but they're included in your partner family info, there's chances that immigration staff will scrutinize any family member you invited.

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
Then, I believe you are good. Even, if you included them in your PR application (Family Information), IRCC has policy in which the CIC officers will consider your case on the merit and if necessary ask for explanation. Definitely, you'll get a letter to respond about your in-laws if you make any application that will be affected. Since, you never invited them, but they're included in your partner family info, there's chances that immigration staff will scrutinize any family member you invited.
Yes we did mention them in our PR application and we had no idea that they will apply for asylum.

handsomeplayer

Nov 22, 2014
The reason for posting this thread that we are travelling outside Canada for around 2 months. Would it be any issue on our way back in Canada immigration? I mean can Canadian Immigration refuse our entry in Canada or something like that?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
The reason for posting this thread that we are travelling outside Canada for around 2 months. Would it be any issue on our way back in Canada immigration? I mean can Canadian Immigration refuse our entry in Canada or something like that?
You're PR and I don't believe it will affect your re-entry. It also depend on the stage of their claim if it has been refereed to the board by Immigration. Even, if you're refer to secondary examination by Border Service Officer of CBSA on re-entry, you have the right to say the truth, that you have no knowledge of their propose claim. You don't know there whereabouts. However, as a family, you can contact them if you've the means to educate them of the implication of their immigration step. As they're likely to be affected and not you. Yo never came in as a refugee and don't know how it works.