+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was married in the Philippines. Divorced in Canada.

CelebrateLife

Aug 30, 2014
Hello Everyone.

Question, can someone tell, if a person was married in the Philippines ( city hall), and got divorced in Canada after 6 years of marriage. Can this person, marry someone in the Philippines again??

Please response.!! Merci

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Philippines doesn't recognize divorce, so no.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
CelebrateLife said:
Hello Everyone.

Question, can someone tell, if a person was married in the Philippines ( city hall), and got divorced in Canada after 6 years of marriage. Can this person, marry someone in the Philippines again??

Please response.!! Merci
Unfortunately the answer is no...
Philippines does not recognize the divorce...

Can not marry anybody in the filipines again....

sunflower2014

Jul 21, 2014
Paragraph 2, Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines provides:
“Article 26. xxx
Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce decree is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall likewise have the capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”

if you are canadian when you filed the divorce then you can file in the Phils. petition to recognize foreign divorce decree. consult a lawyer.

Arrodrig22

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
16-07-2014
File Transfer...
16-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
You have to filed annulment,if they granted you're annulment that's the only time you can re marry in the Philippines

GabbieLovesAya

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Interview........
they better not ask any more at this point
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
CelebrateLife said:
Hello Everyone.

Please response.!! Merci
If the person who married a Filipino national in the Philippines is not a Filipino national him/herself, and if this foreign national is the one who initiated or petitioned the divorce, then the Philippines government will recognize the divorce. However, it may is very hard to get all the approvals and paperwork finalized for you to get married once again in the Philippines. Search "philippines recognize divorce foreign national" on google and you will find the explanation and the process. I was in the same situation and married my new wife in Hong Kong - easy process. However, once you marry in Hong Kong, make sure you get your marriage certificate "super legalized" at the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong (will save you a lot of time)

Filipinay

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Oakville, ON
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
13-12-2016
Doc's Request.
14-03-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
File Transfer...
and SA 06-01-2017; BGC In progress: 26-04-2017
Med's Request
Re- Med request 14-03-2017
Med's Done....
30-03-2017 Medical Passed (Re- Med)
Passport Req..
27-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
VOH 03-07-2017
LANDED..........
22-07-2017
I have a coworker/ friend who has the same situation as yours. She's a Naturalized Canadian citizen. She was married in the Philippines, filed for divorce here in Canada. Has found a new love also a Filipino. She went back home and went to CEM and applied for capacity to marry ( im not sure of the exact words..but to that effect, or mybe just google it :) ) Anyways, they just got married last January in the Philippines (Civil) , applied Outland and her husband just got PPR last week..so i think it's possible. Hope this helps

GabbieLovesAya

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Interview........
they better not ask any more at this point
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
Filipinay said:
I have a coworker/ friend who has the same situation as yours. She's a Naturalized Canadian citizen. She was married in the Philippines, filed for divorce here in Canada. Has found a new love also a Filipino. She went back home and went to CEM and applied for capacity to marry ( im not sure of the exact words..but to that effect, or mybe just google it :) ) Anyways, they just got married last January in the Philippines (Civil) , applied Outland and her husband just got PPR last week..so i think it's possible. Hope this helps
The key here is again that the person who initiated the divorce in Canada was considered to be a Canadian due to her being a Naturalized Canadian Citizen. There was another case I am familiar with, where both husband and wife were citizens of the Philippines, working in Canada. They divorced, but the divorce was only accepted in the Philippines once the husband acquired Canadian citizenship. He was then free to get married again in the Philippines.

Filipinay

Star Member
Mar 22, 2012
Oakville, ON
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
13-12-2016
Doc's Request.
14-03-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
File Transfer...
and SA 06-01-2017; BGC In progress: 26-04-2017
Med's Request
Re- Med request 14-03-2017
Med's Done....
30-03-2017 Medical Passed (Re- Med)
Passport Req..
27-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
VOH 03-07-2017
LANDED..........
22-07-2017
GabbieLovesAya said:
The key here is again that the person who initiated the divorce in Canada was considered to be a Canadian due to her being a Naturalized Canadian Citizen. There was another case I am familiar with, where both husband and wife were citizens of the Philippines, working in Canada. They divorced, but the divorce was only accepted in the Philippines once the husband acquired Canadian citizenship. He was then free to get married again in the Philippines.
+1
Yup that is on the premise of being a Canadian citizen, AFAIK

Shaxin

Mar 28, 2014
If the applicant applied divorce in Canada after he or she becomes Canadian therefore he or she can apply for the foreign recognition of the divorce filed in any RTC in the Philippines. The keyword here is a party should already be a Canadian at the time of the application for divorce. Dual citizens of Canada and Philippines es does not fall u serious this.

May 18, 2017
my husband who is a a canadian born and in canada and were married in the catholic church here in the philippines. now he is seeking for a divorce, i live in the philippines upon his recommendation since he refused to petition for my stay to be with him in canada, and he lives in ontario. by law , what i know there is a separation of one year, i did not approved of the divorce, it was him who wanted the divorce. i had been through a lot of emotional stress for the last four years,i could not focus on anything.i do not know what to do,i am left in the midst of nowhere,,please help me, ive seek assistance from other organization and they never replied back.he said he is a canadian and i told him it was your idea for me to live in the philippines since you do not want me to be with you in canada. i have all the documents, petition pares signed by him but without supporting documents. even the short trips he refused me saying that the company will not issue a certification of employment when i was able to obtain it in the beginning.

Xnenon

Jul 30, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend in a similar situation, And I've been reading a bunch of threads but I can't get a clear picture. Just want to know some options for her. She's a Filipino and she's currently a PR and living in Canada. She has a boyfriend for 6 years, he's a Filipino and living in the Philippines. The catch here is he's married, except separated from his wife for years now. Is there anyway she can get him to Canada? I see there is no way to get a boyfriend/girlfriend into Canada, but under the family class it's allowed to sponsor a fiancee, assuming they are ready for this step together, when they land and have 90 days to get married, should they? Or should they try to file for a divorce in Canada before that? Or even during it? Can this work at all? Or should he try to get into Canada some other way and file for divorce, and once granted then sponsor? Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

Jemnay

Feb 19, 2018
Kidapawan
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
07-12-2017
Doc's Request.
01-02-2018
AOR Received.
31-01-2018
File Transfer...
01-03-2018
Med's Request
17-02-2018
Med's Done....
15-03-2018
Passport Req..
04-09-2018
LANDED..........
02-10-2018
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend in a similar situation, And I've been reading a bunch of threads but I can't get a clear picture. Just want to know some options for her. She's a Filipino and she's currently a PR and living in Canada. She has a boyfriend for 6 years, he's a Filipino and living in the Philippines. The catch here is he's married, except separated from his wife for years now. Is there anyway she can get him to Canada? I see there is no way to get a boyfriend/girlfriend into Canada, but under the family class it's allowed to sponsor a fiancee, assuming they are ready for this step together, when they land and have 90 days to get married, should they? Or should they try to file for a divorce in Canada before that? Or even during it? Can this work at all? Or should he try to get into Canada some other way and file for divorce, and once granted then sponsor? Any help would be great guys. Thanks.
There's no 90 days fiance visa in Canada. Only spouse , common law and conjugal partner.

Jacquie1104

Jan 13, 2019
Help please. I was married in the Philippines but now divorced here in Canada. We (ex-wife and myself) were both Naturalized Canadian Citizens, living separately since 2010 (signed separation agreement in 2014) and divorced in 2015. I have a girlfriend in the Philippines, planning to get married and sponsor her afterwards . Is this possible? What are the steps that I need to do to make this happen. I really appreciate any help and information. Thank you.

JYC

Jan 5, 2016
Can't you just marry in a different country like the US or Hong Kong to get around it? I think Canada will still recognize the legality of the marriage in other countries other than where the applicant reside.