+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was does Permanent Residency Entitle you to?

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
My husband and I are about the fill out the forms for permanent residency. We are both 40 with 3 small children. According to this website questionairre we have enough points to hopefully qualify. I would like to eventually become a duel citizen (we live in the USA). Does permanent residency give you the same rights for job opportunities and being a citizen? Does it take care of medical and school for my children? I believe it would but am a bit confused.

My mom is 77 and we would be bringing her. Would she qualify for senior housing. My aunt lives in Oakville, Ontario in a senior complex and I think my Mom would love it but I have no idea if that would be available to her.

Finally, how long does this whole process take and does anyone advise using an attorney as opposed to doing this all yourself.

This is such a big step for us but I love the Toronto area and feel it would be a wonderful place to raise my family.

Thank you for your patience. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sandy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SandyUSA said:
My husband and I are about the fill out the forms for permanent residency. We are both 40 with 3 small children. According to this website questionairre we have enough points to hopefully qualify. I would like to eventually become a duel citizen (we live in the USA). Does permanent residency give you the same rights for job opportunities and being a citizen? Does it take care of medical and school for my children? I believe it would but am a bit confused.

My mom is 77 and we would be bringing her. Would she qualify for senior housing. My aunt lives in Oakville, Ontario in a senior complex and I think my Mom would love it but I have no idea if that would be available to her.

Finally, how long does this whole process take and does anyone advise using an attorney as opposed to doing this all yourself.

This is such a big step for us but I love the Toronto area and feel it would be a wonderful place to raise my family.

Thank you for your patience. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sandy
1. Probably should post in the skilled worker's section, more response.
2. Take the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
3. Start your reading at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
4. Most Federal Government jobs, citizens are given priority. Your children are entitled to free schooling and would be included on your medical service plan. A high percentage of employers pay it as part of your salary, if not the cost is about $108 per month for a family of 5 in BC
6. Your mother can't be included in your application. Once you become a permanent resident, you would be able to sponsor her once you have made the Low Income Cut Off figure in the year after landing. It would take about 3 years to process an application for her and she would have to pass the medical. Your application if approved, will probably take about 2 years, you would have to work for a year, and then it would be about 3 years for your mother if she qualified.
You can find the processing times for applications already processed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02a-skilled-fed.asp#west
7. If you intention is to use a lawyer, they must be a member of the Canadian bar or if a consultant, a member of the Canadian society of Immigration Consultants.

PMM

Rhino2604

Dec 28, 2007
Hey sandy I can tell you I brought my family up from MO in the usa and I love it up here talk about a different way of life..........and I am starting to see alot more americans up here and trying to get in as well. I wish you good luck and if you have any questions plz let me know, we would love to help out anyway possible.

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
Thanks so much for the responses. I am glad to hear that we would not be the only Americans! Anyway, can someone please tell me what is Low Income Cut Off figure?

Also, if we get in can my Mom come with us and support herself or live with us? Would she be entitled to any benefits while waiting for residency? I am sorry I am not understanding what her status would be.

She is 77 and I would not want to uproot her at this stage if her life would not be better. She owns a home and gets social security here in the States. I am just worried about health insurance. Again, I would love to see her get into the Senior Apartments that my Aunt is in but I don't know how crazy that is.

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
Rhino2604 said:
Hey sandy I can tell you I brought my family up from MO in the usa and I love it up here talk about a different way of life..........and I am starting to see alot more americans up here and trying to get in as well. I wish you good luck and if you have any questions plz let me know, we would love to help out anyway possible.
So glad to hear that and thank you!

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
[/quote]

1. Probably should post in the skilled worker's section, more response.
2. Take the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
3. Start your reading at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
4. Most Federal Government jobs, citizens are given priority. Your children are entitled to free schooling and would be included on your medical service plan. A high percentage of employers pay it as part of your salary, if not the cost is about $108 per month for a family of 5 in BC
6. Your mother can't be included in your application. Once you become a permanent resident, you would be able to sponsor her once you have made the Low Income Cut Off figure in the year after landing. It would take about 3 years to process an application for her and she would have to pass the medical. Your application if approved, will probably take about 2 years, you would have to work for a year, and then it would be about 3 years for your mother if she qualified.
You can find the processing times for applications already processed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02a-skilled-fed.asp#west
7. If you intention is to use a lawyer, they must be a member of the Canadian bar or if a consultant, a member of the Canadian society of Immigration Consultants.

PMM
[/quote]

So in other words, it would be 2 years from first application to actually getting permanent residence. Then my husband can look for a job and we can move. Then we would have to leave my mom here in the States and start our life there and upon 1 year of living there if we meet the Low Income Cut off (don't know what that is) we can begin her paperwork. After that it would be an additional 3 years from the date of us being in Canada for 1 year for my mom to hopefully qualify. So she would be apart from us for 4 years right? She is already 77 and then at that time would have to qualify for medical clearance. Wow, as you can quess this is all sinking in and I am worried. I, in my naive state of mind, thought she could just come with us. What was I thinking.

Sandy