+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

was Baker a good idea or how to stay in Canada?

maximgorlin

May 17, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and glad to find a place where people with common will to stay in Canada can share their stories and help others to succeed.

Let me quickly describe my story here:

I came to Canada in 2008 at the age of 17. Studied in College for a Business Administration program. Graduated December 2011.
After that I had worked at the Belgian Waffle restaurant on the kitchen. Was hoping to apply as a Cook, but just prior to filing application in November, 2013, it got cancelled.
So I applied as a Baker in February, 2014. Since the restaurant's primary dish is a baked good (a waffle), I thought that it should be ok. However, I did not complete any Baking courses at all. But there was no choice.
CIC received my application two moths ago and said it was complete.

But now I started to worry about it, since the government doesn't seem to like applicants from the Food Service industries. That LMO moratorium, cancellation of Cooks, etc.

So I'm Looking for other options to stay in Canada. Instead of just waiting and hoping that miracle will happen and application will get approved, I'd like to take some action. My best guess is to move from Ontario to the other province and apply under PNP.

So, I have:
-no experience related to my Business studies
-2 years experience as a Cook, 22 years old
-willing to move anywhere (even the coldest part of Canada) to get the PR and stay in this wonderful country
-have funds to take additional education (including University) to enhance my Business education or to completely change the field of studies if required to get a job in the industry that Canada needs.
-post-graduate work permit expires in March 2015

I looked over all the PNP's , but got really confused with so much information.

Can anybody please tell me what my real best options are? And I mean, even the most crazy options. Clock is ticking..

I would really appreciate any help and advice!

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My main concern is the job description letter from your company. Would it match with your NOC as a baker? Since you work in a restaurant, they might doubt your position as a baker and instead thought of you as a cook instead.

maximgorlin

May 17, 2014
Here's the job description from the Employer (from the reference letter):

Maxim's main responsibilities as a Baker (NOC 6332) include:
• Prepare dough for waffles and batter for crepes from recipes on a daily basis.
• Operate industrial mixer, waffles iron, grills and other equipments within the bakery.
• Bake waffles and cook crepes as per customer's orders and decorate as required.
• Ensure products meet industry standards and bakery is in compliance with all safety and health standards.
• Prepare production schedule and ensure supplies (raw materials) are available.
• Hire, trained and supervised all baking and sales personnel.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi maximgorlin,

sorry to say but you stand almost zero chances as a BAKER.just because you make crepes,waffles and mix dough you think you can call yourself a baker so you can get a permanent resident status in canada after your hope of applying as a cook has been wiped out by the government last year.
i am not surprised why the government exclude cooks and few other occupations from CEC,because of people like you who cheats the system.
everyone who flip a burger or fry french fries thinks they are a cook,NO they are not because cooking is a culinary art that people go to school for it just like any other trade,it requires a lot of passion and love and experience to call yourself a cook let alone a baker that requires no less then that.
i don't understand why wouldn't you work in the field of your study.....i know the answer,hard to get a job since i am a new graduate no one wanted to hire a fresh person from school....well this is wrong.
lets be realistic,maybe you would had a higher chance if you have applied as a cook since you work at a restaurant but as a baker i don't see it unless you are working in a bakery shop,a grocery store,a hotel maybe where they have a baking department in their facility.
this is called a luck and you are out of it as a baker or cook,my two cents advise to you is:try to apply as cook in a PNP program if you have the opportunity too.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
i just want to remind you as well that you have committed a misrepresentation when you claimed you are a baker,the consequences are bad if you get caught.

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
If you don't mind me asking, why did you have a hard time finding a job in a field related to your education? Or did you take up this job because you were genuinely interested in it? I'm just asking these questions out of sheer curiosity because you have a bachelor's degree from this country and I presume a 3 year work permit, so I'm finding it hard to understand what stopped you from finding a job in a business related field. Again, these questions are out of sheer curiosity.
As for moving to another province, it is definitely not a bad idea. You now have your AOR, so your CEC will continue to be processed. You will have to address all of the VO's concerns and be sure to gather as much information as you can before you quit and move to another province. Since your pgwp expires in March 2015, you have enough time to get a PNP nomination and then apply for your PR. I'd reckon it takes around 6 months to receive your nomination so factor that in along with all the other criteria that you will require to qualify for a PNP nomination. For example, if you move to Alberta now and if you get a job there, you can immediately apply for your PNP with your job offer. However, I think it takes around 6 months to receive your nomination. If a province requires you to work in that province for 6 months to be eligible to apply for PNP, then give yourself about 1 year (factoring in time to receive PNP nomination). Look at those provinces where you can apply for PNP with a job offer. That will save you a lot of time.

Good luck!

P.S: I am not entirely sure of Alberta's PNP, please look it up on the alberta immigration website.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadavisa13 said:
Hi maximgorlin,

sorry to say but you stand almost zero chances as a BAKER.just because you make crepes,waffles and mix dough you think you can call yourself a baker so you can get a permanent resident status in canada after your hope of applying as a cook has been wiped out by the government last year.
i am not surprised why the government exclude cooks and few other occupations from CEC,because of people like you who cheats the system.
everyone who flip a burger or fry french fries thinks they are a cook,NO they are not because cooking is a culinary art that people go to school for it just like any other trade,it requires a lot of passion and love and experience to call yourself a cook let alone a baker that requires no less then that.
i don't understand why wouldn't you work in the field of your study.....i know the answer,hard to get a job since i am a new graduate no one wanted to hire a fresh person from school....well this is wrong.
lets be realistic,maybe you would had a higher chance if you have applied as a cook since you work at a restaurant but as a baker i don't see it unless you are working in a bakery shop,a grocery store,a hotel maybe where they have a baking department in their facility.
this is called a luck and you are out of it as a baker or cook,my two cents advise to you is:try to apply as cook in a PNP program if you have the opportunity too.
I think what you are saying is a bit too much here. Anyone who can commercially bake and cook, can call themselves baker and cook. If they graduated from culinary schools, that means they have better qualifications and higher chances of acknowledgement from their professional industry. There are a lot of people who has passion in cooking and baking, and yet has no formal educational background in cooking, but are doing well in opening their own bakery or restaurant.

People who flips burger are considered line cook, and some of them might be proud to do that just to earn a decent living. If you are a professional cook/baker, please don't bash these people.

As for the Original Poster, at the end of the day, the one who make decision on your application are the Visa Officers. Given that you work at a restaurant, they likely will doubt your application. At the moment, the average time people getting decision made after AOR is about 4-5 months. If I were you, I would monitor the situation, and might consider looking for PNP later on.

I hope that helps~

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadavisa13 said:
retwant

you have no idea what you are talking about,better to keep your mouth shut.
Wow so much hate, I have my rights to speak my own mind, and to help others in this forum. Being an elitist and bashing people like us just prove how your character is. Have a good life thou regardless~

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Retwant, you better prepare for retaliation after not keeping your mouth shut.

What do you think he'll do? My money is on him calling his mommy to complain....

raagaa

Star Member
Aug 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
15-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
29-04-2014
Med's Done....
02-05-2014
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2014
LANDED..........
---
Hi Maximgorlin,

Considering the validity of your work permit. I would suggest you move to Alberta asap. Their PNP program is suitable for you. Similarly NS PNP is good too, so I have read but I have no exp on that however with AINP, a lot of my friends were able to make an application as soon as they landed a full time work opportunity irrespective of the noc code, skill category.
Further studies won't work in your case because one can avail PG Work Permit only once so even if you study further you will not be able to secure a work permit.
Also, I have heard that AB might revise its PNP in July so due to uncertainty of new rules I highly recommend that you secure a Provincial Nomination as soon as possible.
Hope this helps.

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
Yeah I totally agree with canadavisa13 and I'm not surprised neither why did they exclude cooks from the list. The image of the cook in Canada is a person flipping burgers in McDonalds. They should be called food counter attendants (NOC 6711) not cooks. According to HRSDC requirements for a cook are:
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks;
or
- Completion of college or other program in cooking;
or
- Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.

Immigration didn't pay attention to that just because they needed people to work in restaurants from no matter where but times have changed. So in my opinion moratorium is a good thing that happened - but of course they won't do much about it and reopen it in few weeks.

Anyone who can commercially bake and cook, can call themselves baker and cook.
Yeah and anyone who can build a house can call himself engineer.

Anyway I think that if you have a good letter from your employer there shouldn't be any problem with your application.

maximgorlin

May 17, 2014
Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies.

Even though, canadavisa13 sounded a bit rough, his opinion is very true. I admit that I took this job because this was the first thing I found available. I called the CIC to make sure that the field of my studies does not need to be the same as the work I choose to apply under CEC. Over the phone they told me it's OK to work in a different field. Also, I personally enjoy cooking, have some experience working in high-end restaurants, catering events and just do it with passion everyday for myself. And I enjoy kitchen environment, planning to open my own restaurant in the future. That's why I never looked for another job related to Business Administration and just chose to stay in the restaurant industry. Also, my Employer made me responsible for two franchises operations, which was a valuable experience: managing two cafe's , getting experience about hiring/firing people, making everyday decisions, ordering inventory and sleepless nights when emergency at the stores happened. So please, don't assume that I did that job only for the sake of getting my PR, there was more behind it.
I could not apply as a Manager, because my income was too low for that job. I did it mostly for experience. So I made a decision to apply as a Baker.

I pay my taxes, work hard, haven't committed any crimes, have a condo in Toronto, willing to make Canada my home, having lived here for the past six years. I don't see a reason to send back home. So how can you say that I have cheated and abused the system, trying to apply as a Baker? I think it's not fair.

maximgorlin

May 17, 2014
Dear raagaa and Hope1957,

Thanks for your replies. I consider moving to Alberta in two weeks. Right now just gathering as much info as I can get on the AIPNP. So, if I find an Eligible occupation in Construction, I can apply, right?

I'm a little confused now and would really appreciate if someone can recommend an Immigration Consultant who knows about AIPNP and can give some good piece of advice. Or if someone can Skype with me to explain about AIPNP and what I need to do. I know that all the info is online, but I'm not very bright and cannot figure out what to do exactly on my own. I already tried, applying as a Baker and you all know the result. I just need some directions, that's all. I can even pay you for that via PayPal. Anyway, if anybody can help, my Skype is skapunkzzz1 .