+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to verify timeline of eligible CEC work experience after finishing study

chuancong

Feb 13, 2016
Hi guys,

My timeline is like this and I want to verify my timeline regarding CEC one year work experience requirement. Thank you.

2018 May - Got LMIA work permit while having study permit
2018 Jun - Started working full time while studying full time
2019 Sep - Got completion letter from university
2019 Nov - Got post graduate work permit
2020 Feb - Degree award (but not received yet)
2020 May - LMIA work permit expired but post graduate work permit still valid
2020 Aug - Received degree in mail

I never changed work. My question is when is start date of my work experience that is no longer considered under full time study? Is it completion letter date, post graduate work permit date, degree award date, or convocation date (which happened virtually in summer due to COVID)?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Anaysa

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
If you applied well before the expiry/validity of your SP then whatever exp you gained on the implied status will be included in the one year work exp (you might want to look up Cic for any modifications on this rule) but if you applied after that exp gained from the day the wrk permit was approved is counted. Hope this helps.

chuancong

Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for reply.

But I never had implied status. From the day of my completion letter I already had valid LMIA work permit. So my question is whether my work experience starts from the day of my completion letter?

Anaysa

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
It should ideally start from the day you receive the official confirmation of your degree completion (you got the completion letter first) so that should be the day you could start counting your exp from.

Anaysa

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
Also its october now. So depending on your score you can make your profile accordingly. Just another month and it would be one year from you pgwp approval date. You can plan accordingly.

chuancong

Feb 13, 2016
I want to further confirm.

There were two letters, one from Sep 2019 saying I completed requirements for degree, while another from Feb 2020 saying my degree is being awarded. My PGWP was issued in Nov 2019.

Which date do you refer to?

chuancong

Feb 13, 2016
Thank you very much for quick answer. So my CEC work experience does start from Sep 2019, the day I got letter of satisfying degree requirements.

Anaysa

Star Member
Jun 5, 2020
Yes. Although I am not aware of the lmia thing. But as far as I know completion letter or degree/transcript whichever comes first is acceptable.