+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to return to Canada with PR card that’s expired since 2008

msaeed21

Jun 3, 2019
I landed in Canada in 2001 with my family and received a PR card that expired in 2008 but I did not live there, and did not spend the requisite time in Canada. Therefore did not apply for renewal of the PR card.

In 2011, I went to university in Toronto using my expired pr card. I entered Canada through the US border showing my passport, expired PR and landing permit. However, I only stayed for a year(due to some personal reasons) before moving to the UK to complete my studies, after which I moved to my home country, and am living here since 2016.

Now I am getting married, and my fiancé plans on living and settling in Canada. He has recently gotten Permanent Residence through the skilled worker program and is going to move in a few weeks.

What is the best option for me -as I plan on living in Canada with my future husband?

Should/can I come on my expired PR card(through the US) -as to the best of our knowledge, my residency hasn't been terminated. Or should I renunciate my current status, and apply for sponsorship through my fiancé after we are married(which will take longer and is way more complicated).

Also, if I decide to renunciate my existing status will my history have an impact on my future applications(whether tourist visa/sponsorship by spouse)?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can try to re-enter via the US border, but if you are reported at the border, it will start the process of rescinding your PR status and you'd have to find grounds to appeal.

If you renounce, you won't have any impact on the future applications, but you may not be able to enter Canada without visa (unless you're from a visa-waiver country) and would need to be sponsored by your husband, which takes about a year.

msaeed21

Jun 3, 2019
You can try to re-enter via the US border, but if you are reported at the border, it will start the process of rescinding your PR status and you'd have to find grounds to appeal.

If you renounce, you won't have any impact on the future applications, but you may not be able to enter Canada without visa (unless you're from a visa-waiver country) and would need to be sponsored by your husband, which takes about a year.
Thanks for your reply!
If/when they report me, will they also refuse entry into the country? Or will I be allowed to appeal from within Canada?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
As a PR, you cannot be refused entry to the country at a border, unless your status was previously rescinded and you are inadmissible.