+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to extend Visitor visa status for my father

Tommy R

Dec 23, 2019
Hi all
My mom pasted away months ago, and my father can't take care of himself. So I took him with me back to Canada, with vistor visa. (I applied for them one year ago)
Now I want to extend his visitor visa status in Canada.

Here is my questions
1. Seems from Dec 23, 2019, all the visitor visa extends need fingreprint
2. For apply the extend visitor visa. How long time I can apply for extension each time? Have you guys try to apply 2 years in one application?

As the cic website to say, there is no official limit for how many time you apply for extend your visitor visa.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi all
My mom pasted away months ago, and my father can't take care of himself. So I took him with me back to Canada, with vistor visa. (I applied for them one year ago)
Now I want to extend his visitor visa status in Canada.

Here is my questions
1. Seems from Dec 23, 2019, all the visitor visa extends need fingreprint
2. For apply the extend visitor visa. How long time I can apply for extension each time? Have you guys try to apply 2 years in one application?

As the cic website to say, there is no official limit for how many time you apply for extend your visitor visa.
There is no official limit but eventually they will deny it, could be on first time or could be on 4th extension. All depends on what they decide. But sure enough eventually they will deny it because on a visitor visa you cannot live here you can only visit. Seems like your father is trying to live here.
Do you have medical insurance for him? I believe that is always a good idea even if not required for a visitors, considering he cannot take care of himself.
Have you thought of a super visa? Initial stay can be for up to two years. He would require a medical though.

Also how long is your fathers visa valid for? when did your father enter Canada?

Tommy R

Dec 23, 2019
There is no official limit but eventually they will deny it, could be on first time or could be on 4th extension. All depends on what they decide. But sure enough eventually they will deny it because on a visitor visa you cannot live here you can only visit. Seems like your father is trying to live here.
Do you have medical insurance for him? I believe that is always a good idea even if not required for a visitors, considering he cannot take care of himself.
Have you thought of a super visa? Initial stay can be for up to two years. He would require a medical though.

Also how long is your fathers visa valid for? when did your father enter Canada?
Thanks for your reply.
My father have 10 years visitor visa. He enter Canada at Nov, 2019.
By the way, I bought the medical insurance begin he enter Canada. I want to apply super visa, but last time I did not have time to apply it.
And the super visa must apply from outside of Canada. So it does not works now.

My question is if I apply extend his visitor Visa, how long time I can apply for one application? 1 year or 2 years.
Have you try to extend 2 years ?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply.
By the way, I bought the medical insurance begin he enter Canada. I want to apply super visa, but last time I did not have time to apply it.

My question is if I apply extend his visitor Visa, how long time I can apply for one application? 1 year or 2 years.

thanks
2 years is too long. Even 1 year could be pushing it for a regular visitor but you could ask. Long-term, he will eventually be refused an extension and have to return to his country.

Reactions: canuck78

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

thanks
strictly my personal opinion I do not have personal experience with it, but I believe the longer you request the higher the likelihood they will think you want to live here.

I would search this forum im sure there are lots of threads on visa extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You really need to be thinking of a plan B. Do you have a spouse who is a citizen or who has been a PR for a long time than you have. Will you qualify for supervisa based on your NOA2019? It seems like you only startEd working in Canada in August 2018. What is your plan if your father gets denied an extension at a point. When you say your father can not care for himself is he elderly and unable to physically care for himself or did he never learn to cook and clean?

Tommy R

Dec 23, 2019
You really need to be thinking of a plan B. Do you have a spouse who is a citizen or who has been a PR for a long time than you have. Will you qualify for supervisa based on your NOA2019? It seems like you only startEd working in Canada in August 2018. What is your plan if your father gets denied an extension at a point. When you say your father can not care for himself is he elderly and unable to physically care for himself or did he never learn to cook and clean?
I am qualify for super visa. But my mom passed away by accident, i don't time to apply a super visa for my father. And there is virus around the world right now, I don't want to take this risk.
I think I just need 1 year extend should be fine. When it is finished, I will go back, then apply super visa for him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am qualify for super visa. But my mom passed away by accident, i don't time to apply a super visa for my father. And there is virus around the world right now, I don't want to take this risk.
I think I just need 1 year extend should be fine. When it is finished, I will go back, then apply super visa for him.
Just want to clarify that you need to show that you have earned the LICO amount in Canada versus showing what your salary is. We have seen some people get 1 year but it always depend on the individual’s file.Although I understand that your mother passed away in an accident you seem to have planned for your father to move to Canada permanently. Unless you qualify for PGP (once new program details are announced) and you get selected he remains a visitor and may need to return home to reestablish his connections to his home country. Just pointing out that if your father can not care for himself because he can not do domestic duties (like cooking and cleaning) but is otherwise healthy Canada would not consider that he can not care for himself.