+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for SA ( after social assistance check)

afrinr30

Feb 19, 2018
Not yet. May i know your situation ? I am sep-14 online. Still no AOR/SA.
I applied for my spouse on Oct 16 online. We received AOR on Jan 19 but didn't receive SA or medical yet. I'm concerned because I'm unemployed. Do they perform extra checks on sponsors who are unemployed? Did you call IRCC to check why you haven't received AOR?

sai_chaitanya2001

Star Member
Jun 10, 2020
Yes. They will check with your province ministry of welfare to make sure you are not depending on social assistance.

I am unemployed too. but i showed bank savings. But I dont think they look at bank savings.

Did you show any bank savings or future income ? How much ?

afrinr30

Feb 19, 2018
Yes. They will check with your province ministry of welfare to make sure you are not depending on social assistance.

I am unemployed too. but i showed bank savings. But I dont think they look at bank savings.

Did you show any bank savings or future income ? How much ?
I read on threads that they do this check on everyone, or is it only for unemployed sponsors? Does being unemployed delay the application a lot?

I moved back to Canada only 4 days before I applied for the sponsorship. So, I just showed bank savings, not much, around CAD 10000 or so, along with letters of support from our parents and their bank statements, explanation letter, job prospects, conversations with recruiters, our degrees, my husband's pay stubs, his employment letter etc.

What did they tell you about not receiving AOR yet?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They will look at your bank savings which you have submitted with your application. Would suggest finding employment as soon as possible and sending a webform updating your employment status when you are employed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I read on threads that they do this check on everyone, or is it only for unemployed sponsors? Does being unemployed delay the application a lot?

I moved back to Canada only 4 days before I applied for the sponsorship. So, I just showed bank savings, not much, around CAD 10000 or so, along with letters of support from our parents and their bank statements, explanation letter, job prospects, conversations with recruiters, our degrees, my husband's pay stubs, his employment letter etc.

What did they tell you about not receiving AOR yet?
Are both the parents in Canada? Would suggest finding employment as soon as possible and updating your application via webform once you are employed. Although savings and family support are good proof showing proof of consistent employment is the best proof that you’ll.be able to support your family in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The thing is I'm pregnant at the moment and the baby is arriving next month, so it's almost impossible to find employment right now. No, our parents are not in Canada, their letters just stated that they will provide financial support if needed.

Do you know if sponsorship approval is delayed for every unemployed sponsor? I was hoping for my husband to come here this summer.
Financial sponsorship from parents who are not in Canada is viewed differently than financial sponsorship from parents who are in Canada, have assets in Canada, etc. Does your husband have other savings? Is he employed? Is his salary able to support you in Canada given that it doesn’t even sound like you qualify for maternity EI payments. Does he work in an industry where he can easily find employment in Canada? Work for a large multinational where transfer would be possible or that would be recognized by Canadian employers? Is he fluent in English/French? Do you have a work history in Canada? When did you leave Canada?

afrinr30

Feb 19, 2018
Financial sponsorship from parents who are not in Canada is viewed differently than financial sponsorship from parents who are in Canada, have assets in Canada, etc. Does your husband have other savings? Is he employed? Is his salary able to support you in Canada given that it doesn’t even sound like you qualify for maternity EI payments. Does he work in an industry where he can easily find employment in Canada? Work for a large multinational where transfer would be possible or that would be recognized by Canadian employers? Is he fluent in English/French? Do you have a work history in Canada? When did you leave Canada?
Yea he is employed and we submitted his employment letter and paystubs. Yes, his salary can support me to some extent and our parents are ready to help apart from our savings. Yes, he does work in an industry where he can easily find employment, we showed job opportunities that were available on job boards related to his field. I'm not sure if he can be transferred but definitely his company is recognized worldwide and he is fluent in English and possesses a Master's degree. I lived in Canada only for a couple of months and I was working before I left to get married which was in 2020, however, I couldn't come back due to lack of international flights and strict COVID rules. I did find some unemployed sponsors in this forum who received sponsor approvals within 2 weeks after AOR. Hoping our application doesn't get stuck due to this. People who applied after us have received and I'm truly worried now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yea he is employed and we submitted his employment letter and paystubs. Yes, his salary can support me to some extent and our parents are ready to help apart from our savings. Yes, he does work in an industry where he can easily find employment, we showed job opportunities that were available on job boards related to his field. I'm not sure if he can be transferred but definitely his company is recognized worldwide and he is fluent in English and possesses a Master's degree. I lived in Canada only for a couple of months and I was working before I left to get married which was in 2020, however, I couldn't come back due to lack of international flights and strict COVID rules. I did find some unemployed sponsors in this forum who received sponsor approvals within 2 weeks after AOR. Hoping our application doesn't get stuck due to this. People who applied after us have received and I'm truly worried now.
Even if you get sponsor approval your income can still be an issue at a later date. If he could get a confirmed transfer to a job in Canada that would be a much better situation. Posting on job boards don’t always translate to people being hired. Is he in a field that is high demand in Canada like software developer for example? The big issue is you have minimal history in Canada in general and only worked in Canada for a few months so no proof of consistent income. Were you working in another country as an adult? After you got married? Are your skills education easily transferable to the Canadian workforce if you had to? If you had to return to work would the short term job you had be able to support your family? You are pregnant and will have a small child so it isn’t easy for you to find employment if necessary unless you can find affordable childcare.

Assume you realize that if you were only in Canada for a couple of months you needed to reapply for a new health card because you didn’t meet the residency requirements to qualify for healthcare even if you have a valid card. Depending on the province you must remain in the province for 6-12 months after you land and meet the yearly residency requirement or you have to reapply for a new health card. You can be asked to repay any healthcare costs if you don’t meet the residency requirements and continue using your old card. What province did you live in when you came for a few months and where do you live now?

afrinr30

Feb 19, 2018
Even if you get sponsor approval your income can still be an issue at a later date. If he could get a confirmed transfer to a job in Canada that would be a much better situation. Posting on job boards don’t always translate to people being hired. Is he in a field that is high demand in Canada like software developer for example? The big issue is you have minimal history in Canada in general and only worked in Canada for a few months so no proof of consistent income. Were you working in another country as an adult? After you got married? Are your skills education easily transferable to the Canadian workforce if you had to? If you had to return to work would the short term job you had be able to support your family? You are pregnant and will have a small child so it isn’t easy for you to find employment if necessary unless you can find affordable childcare.

Assume you realize that if you were only in Canada for a couple of months you needed to reapply for a new health card because you didn’t meet the residency requirements to qualify for healthcare even if you have a valid card. Depending on the province you must remain in the province for 6-12 months after you land and meet the yearly residency requirement or you have to reapply for a new health card. You can be asked to repay any healthcare costs if you don’t meet the residency requirements and continue using your old card. What province did you live in when you came for a few months and where do you live now?
Our financial situation isn't a concern to me at this point. I just hope the SA comes through without any delay. I did work in the USA for 5 years and I have a Master's degree which I got in the US. I'm an engineer and my husband is an MBA graduate, so I believe it shouldn't be impossible to find work here. Since I'll be having a baby, I might not be able to return to work and I need my husband here, that's why I'm really worried about the sponsor approval.

I did reapply for a new health card. I lived in Ontario and live in Ontario now as well.