+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PR, travelling into Canada

matt332131

Aug 4, 2013
I am a PR from visa exempt country currently waiting for my PR card. At this point I reside outside of Canada.

I have several job interviews lined up which are likely to force me to travel before I am able to receive my PR card.

Can I travel without my PR card? Given I am visa exempt I should not have a problem boarding the plane.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming you're not from the US, you'll need to apply for a PR travel document. As a PR, you need a valid PR card or PR travel document to board a plane to Canada.

Those who are visa exempt (apart from Americans) now require an ETA to board a plane to Canada. PRs don't qualify for ETAs and therefore need their PR cards or the travel document.

matt332131

Aug 4, 2013
Hmmm

Officer at the border (during landing) told me that given I am PR from visa exempt country I should have no problem boarding the plane and in the worst case I will go to immigration and they will clear me...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
matt332131 said:
Hmmm

Officer at the border (during landing) told me that given I am PR from visa exempt country I should have no problem boarding the plane and in the worst case I will go to immigration and they will clear me...
Issue is not with CBSA or Canadian immigration, its the airline.

All visa-exempt travelers (except US passport holders) require an eTA to board a plane. PRs are not eligible for an eTA. Hence since you can't apply for eTA and without a PR card or PR Travel Document, the airline will deny you boarding.

So 2 options:
1. Get a PR travel document.
2. Go instead to USA, and cross into Canada by land (where neither card nor travel doc is required).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
matt332131 said:
But I do have ETA (which is valid for 5 years) from the time I travelled to Canada before becoming PR.
Your eTA is subject to cancellation as soon as you landed as a PR.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
matt332131 said:
I am a PR from visa exempt country currently waiting for my PR card. At this point I reside outside of Canada.

I have several job interviews lined up which are likely to force me to travel before I am able to receive my PR card.

Can I travel without my PR card? Given I am visa exempt I should not have a problem boarding the plane.
matt332131 said:
Hmmm

matt332131 said:
But I do have ETA (which is valid for 5 years) from the time I travelled to Canada before becoming PR.
It is correct that the rules require a PR (with limited exceptions, such as for U.S. citizens) to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document before being given authorization to board a flight to Canada.

It is also clear that a PR is not eligible for eTA, that only eligible Foreign Nationals may be given the electronic travel authorization, and PRs are not Foreign Nationals.

It is not clear, however, whether the eTA or IAPI system is programmed to automatically cancel a person's eTA upon that person becoming a PR, like it would cancel the eTA if a new eTA is issued. (My guess, but just a guess, is that it is not.)

Thus, whether or not your previously obtained eTA will allow you to use your visa-exempt passport to nonetheless board a flight to Canada is NOT so clear.

I know of no procedure or regulation for cancelling eTA upon becoming a PR. It would make sense, of course, since PRs are not eligible for eTA. But the eTA and IAPI system (the IAPI system makes the determination as to a passenger's authorization to board a flight to Canada) works electronically (subject to manual override). How it is programmed to work controls, not common-sense. That is, regardless of what makes sense, what will happen to your existing eTA depends on whether electronic scripts will automatically terminate the existing eTA for you and the passport you used in obtaining eTA. (Again, my guess is no but again that is just a guess.)

The provisions for terminating an already granted eTA are limited, and otherwise the respective PDI instructions tend to be about cancellation pursuant to a manual assessment ("revalidation").

What is unknown is whether FOSS, GCMS, and the IAPI system are set up to process a PR landing transaction similarly to the issuance of a new electronic travel authorization to the individual. Basically, once issued, eTA remains valid for five years unless the passport expires sooner, a new electronic travel authorization is issued, or the eTA is cancelled. (This is Regulation 12.05 IRPA Regulations.)

The only provision (Regularion 12.06) governing cancellation authorizes an officer to cancel the eTA in two circumstances:
-- there is a determination the FN is inadmissible, or
-- there is a determination the FN should not be allowed to become a temporary resident

For the applicable regulations, see
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-4.html#docCont

The relevant Program Delivery Instructions can be found at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/eta/procedures.asp

Unfortunately these offer no definitive answer to your queries.

The safe approach is to recognize that the rule requires presenting a PR card or PR TD, and thus either wait to get your PR card or be prepared to apply for and obtain a PR TD for a return flight to Canada. My guess is your eTA is still good, at least until the next time you arrive at a PoE at which point an officer is likely to recognize you used eTA to board the flight, but you are a PR not eligible for eTA, and thus (perhaps - whether this is what would happen is also unknown) manually initiate the procedure for terminating, that is cancelling, your eTA. But I am guessing without risk, and a guess is just a guess.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
matt332131 said:
That was true. The travel authorization rules are fairly new. You need approval from the government of Canada to enter Canada as a visitor. You are not a visitor, so you can't get that approval.

As a Permanent Resident, you have the right to enter, but you need proof. The PR Card and PR Travel documents are the legally acceptable proof, and as long as you have status, you have the right to those documents. It can take some time, though, and the Travel Document is faster than the card.