+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting 60 days for PR card, advice needed!

jenbenjy

Jan 21, 2017
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I landed on March 13th at Etobicoke and still haven't received my PR card. I called CIC a few days ago and they thought I might need to send new photos but weren't sure because the office in Nova Scotia hasn't contacted me at all. They have sent a query to the office but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I've been told the card has been processed but not yet printed. I sent a CSE 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back there either. I was told to call back in a month if I hadn't heard anything about my card. I need the card sooner rather than later for travel purposes so does anyone have any advice on how I can speed up the process or does anyone have any experience with this issue?! I'm now waiting over 8 weeks! I know I can apply for a travel document but I really don't feel like I should have to at this stage.

Really getting fed up with the CIC now so any thoughts at all would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I landed on March 13th at Etobicoke and still haven't received my PR card. I called CIC a few days ago and they thought I might need to send new photos but weren't sure because the office in Nova Scotia hasn't contacted me at all. They have sent a query to the office but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I've been told the card has been processed but not yet printed. I sent a CSE 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back there either. I was told to call back in a month if I hadn't heard anything about my card. I need the card sooner rather than later for travel purposes so does anyone have any advice on how I can speed up the process or does anyone have any experience with this issue?! I'm now waiting over 8 weeks! I know I can apply for a travel document but I really don't feel like I should have to at this stage.

Really getting fed up with the CIC now so any thoughts at all would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
The CIC website says the current waiting time for a new PR Card is 45 days, but that you must also allow a further 7 - 10 days for delivery. It goes on to say that you can only chase them for a possible missing card a further 6 weeks after these dates. So according to you mid-March apply date, I make that mid to late-June before they are OK for you to chase. For 'official' CIC references explained above see here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

I know it really sucks. We are in a similar position, albeit landed 11th April and anxiously awaiting PR Card. Note that you can drive across the Canada / US border and back on the strength of your copy / signed / stamped CoPR and passport alone - you just can't fly or travel commercially as the provider won't let you board without either a PR Card or a PRTD (as I think you know)

jenbenjy

Jan 21, 2017
The CIC website says the current waiting time for a new PR Card is 45 days, but that you must also allow a further 7 - 10 days for delivery. It goes on to say that you can only chase them for a possible missing card a further 6 weeks after these dates. So according to you mid-March apply date, I make that mid to late-June before they are OK for you to chase. For 'official' CIC references explained above see here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

I know it really sucks. We are in a similar position, albeit landed 11th April and anxiously awaiting PR Card. Note that you can drive across the Canada / US border and back on the strength of your copy / signed / stamped CoPR and passport alone - you just can't fly or travel commercially as the provider won't let you board without either a PR Card or a PRTD (as I think you know)
Hi Hurlabrick,,

Thank you for getting back to me. CIC state that you can call them 6 weeks from your application to get an update so the way I interpret that is 6 weeks from March 13th is when I would call them. I gave them 7 weeks and have no update from the CSE I sent a couple of weeks ago either. I called CIC twice last Friday and the two agents I spoke with didn't have a clue what was going on. They sent a request for updated information from Nova Scotia and said wait a month to call back. To me, that is not acceptable in the slightest!

I guess what I was actually wondering is if anyone has direct contact information for the CIC office in Nova Scotia. Or if anyone could tell me how long it usually takes them to request a resend on photos. I'll be 9 weeks waiting on Monday which would be fine if someone could just tell me what's happening.

If you wish to, please contact them 6 weeks from April 11th about your card if you have not received it, you do not need to wait 6 weeks from the 45 day mark. Most people will be told at this point that it's either in the process of printing or shipped out.

Hopefully you get yours soon!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi Hurlabrick,,

Thank you for getting back to me. CIC state that you can call them 6 weeks from your application to get an update so the way I interpret that is 6 weeks from March 13th is when I would call them. I gave them 7 weeks and have no update from the CSE I sent a couple of weeks ago either. I called CIC twice last Friday and the two agents I spoke with didn't have a clue what was going on. They sent a request for updated information from Nova Scotia and said wait a month to call back. To me, that is not acceptable in the slightest!

I guess what I was actually wondering is if anyone has direct contact information for the CIC office in Nova Scotia. Or if anyone could tell me how long it usually takes them to request a resend on photos. I'll be 9 weeks waiting on Monday which would be fine if someone could just tell me what's happening.

If you wish to, please contact them 6 weeks from April 11th about your card if you have not received it, you do not need to wait 6 weeks from the 45 day mark. Most people will be told at this point that it's either in the process of printing or shipped out.

Thanks. Perhaps I have mis-read / misunderstood it.

In any event, perfectly happy to wait until early / mid or even late-June before I start reaching for the case specific enquiry function.

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
You can apply for a PR Travel document and use that to enter into Canada again.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

A few things to note:

1. If you are planning to re-enter Canada through US border by foot or in a personal car you don't need any PR card or PRTD. Your passport should be good enough to confirm your identity at the border and let you in. So, if traveling via US is an option (i.e., if you have a US visa or if you are visa exempt), you can return to Canada via road from any border crossing without any issue. You will most likely will have to go through secondary processing so be prepared for that.

2. Without a PR card or PRTD you may not be allowed to travel into Canada via Flights, buses or boats

3. You can apply for Urgent processing of the PR travel document (PRTD). The process varies across locations. For NY, I had to send a Urgent processing request form to the VAC NY.

See if this works out for you.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
Hi Hurlabrick,,

I can help you with part of that. I landed on March 5th. On April 20th, I received a letter requesting new photos for my daughter. That letter was dated April 12th. My PR card arrived on the 24th. We mailed new photos for my daughter the same day I received my card. I'm still waiting for her card.