+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time after writing citizenship exam

Feb 25, 2015
Hello ,

My husband is currently going through application process under spousal sponsorship. he has gotten really far in the process, wrote the citizenship exam last September, but here is the catch usually it takes 4-6 months to get an invitation to the citizenship ceremony. Nothing came his way and when he called the 1-800 (central number) he was told that the application is being processed on a different timeline which could take upto three years from the date the citizenship application was received, this was by no means mentioned to him in previous calls. The person on the phone was very short and basically told my husband that he does not need to call or follow up anymore until 2017!!!! she mentioned that the time was different because there further documents requested at the time of exam, which is intreswting because the cic officer that requested that one document (translation of entry visa on passport) in Edmonton did not bother to say that this little detail will completely throw off the timeline to getting an exam. To us this is a little ridiculous seeing that the document requested was sent the next day and also it was obviously not important because it wasn't requested at the time of PR or citizenship application!!

The call center isn't willing to answer more questions or have any reasonable explanations on the revised timeline given. Any idea who/where we can go to for an appeal or more answers. The application is already in the Edmonton CIC office, so should we go there? Would they help us? It feels like there is no transparency with this process and some arbitrary illogical rules that come up!

So im very new to forums so please bare with me if im asking this question in the wrong place!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try posting your question to the Citizenship section of the forum.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call center agents are mostly paid minimum wage, read through a standard script, and dont have answers to any questions beyond standard questions they were provided during their 2 minute training period just before they took your call. Contact your local MP make a case and have them inquire about your citizenship file

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the key is follow up, follow up, follow up. Thats the only way they'll give importance to your file. I have gone through this process so I know exactly what you are going through. They should know your first and last name, know your face and also your fashion sense. This is how much you have to make sure they get to know you. After all its nothing personal only politics!