+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntary withdrawal of entry clarification?

RonWesley

Jan 20, 2020
I'm trying to understand whether there are any future implications of voluntary withdrawal to enter Canada. During the whole COVID-19 pandemic I remained South of the border because I work in the US. But there was an essential need for me to drive to Canada to assist in dealing with a security situation at my strata in Vancouver, which required installing a security camera to prevent the risk to health and safety of residents.

When I showed up at the border, I was told that I would have to self-isolate for 14 days and that it was mandatory. I was previously given an exemption to the Quaratnine Act deemed performing essential service when I entered for a similar reason about a month ago. They told me that since then the rules had become stricter and only health care professionals, fire fighters and truck drivers were exempt.Speed Test Solitaire essay writer

After a lengthy discussion at the booth I was told I had basically two options - proceed and be subjected to the provisions of the Quarantine Act, or voluntarily turn around and go back to the US. I asked if there will be any record and negative consequences of the second option, and was assured, that no, I simply "drove up to ask questions". I decided to turn around, they walked me to the exit gate, gave me my passport back and wished me a safe drive. The CBP officer asked if they gave me any paperwork, I told they did not, and he them simply let me through.

Is voluntary withdrawal of decision to enter considered a denial or in any other way negative, or is it exactly as the CBSA officer said it was - merely a "consultantation"? He said that I formally cannot be denied entry since I'm a citizen, but I always have an option not to enter if I chose so.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I'm not sure whether that was incredible sleuthing, you have an encyclopedic memory, or both, but that would change my advice considerably! In that case, a voluntary withdrawal can be cause for future complications depending on how it's entered in GCMS. This does not appear to be a case that would cause future complications.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I'm not sure whether that was incredible sleuthing, you have an encyclopedic memory, or both, but that would change my advice considerably! In that case, a voluntary withdrawal can be cause for future complications depending on how it's entered in GCMS. This does not appear to be a case that would cause future complications.
You just have to click on the down arrow below the posters name and then click on the count of previous posts to check history. Easy for this individual who only has 2 previous entries.

Still doesnt explain the inconsistency with the CBSa quote about being a citizen unless that referred to the US of course not Canada.

So whilst never been referred to as a sherlock holmes before the solution is elementary my dear 'watson', (as taken from Sherlock Holmes stories)