+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntarily Renounce Your Permanent Resident Status ?

sjagdeep

Jan 7, 2016
I got my PR in Dec 2010. I only lived around 4 months out of 5 years in Canada. My PR card is expiring in Jan 16. I am not fulfilling obligations to maintain 2/5 years condition.
My wife along with my kid, lives in Canada and has valid PR status and also fulfill 2/5 years condition.
My Present situation is
1. I still want to continue to stay in India for next 2 and half years due to some family commitments. I cannot shift permanently now.
2. But as my wife & Kid lives in Canada, I need to visit them atleast twice a year from India (for one month each time).
3. After 2 and half year I want to shift permanently to Canada.
Please suggest me that
4. How to visit Canada to see my wife and kid during this 2 and half years time ( On which visa)
5. Should I surrender my PR status and reapply again for immigration based on my wife as Spouse sponsorship (family immigration). And I should visit on tourist visa during this duration (2 and half years).
6. If I surrender my PR status, can or will it affect to reapply again after few months on basis of my spouse under family immigration.
7. Please suggest me the better way

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should renounce your PR and apply for a multiple entry visit visa. This will allow you to visit for a month at a time, twice a year. Having lost PR due to not staying in Canada enough should not affect that. It might even help as they don't think you will overstay if you lost your PR for not staying enough.

On your next visit, you should sit down with your spouse and complete the sponsorship forms and send them in. Having lost your PR will not have a negative effect on your application.

You can continue to visit on the visit visa until you get your PR. After you get your PR you may stay outside Canada for up to 3 years but if you are ready to settle in 2.5 years and the sponsorship will take some time from that, you should not have any problems meeting the RO for your new PR when the time comes.

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
Just, FYI, if you renounce your PR status, regaining it visa sponsorship from your wife will take 6 years according to current processing times.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immed said:
Just, FYI, if you renounce your PR status, regaining it visa sponsorship from your wife will take 6 years according to current processing times.
Where do you see that?

CIC has actually changed their processing time page, I had a hard time finding the processing times by visa office. Instead they were showing a general time for outland spouse applications for ca. 18 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp#

If you go to trackitt.com and select Canada and family and filter for approved applications in India for spouses, you get a processing time between 200 and 300 days mostly which is 7-10 months.

pgc

Nov 13, 2013
Hi,

Did you renounce your status? How long did it take for them to process your request?

reikiprince

Apr 28, 2015
Hi

I landed in Canada with wife and child in July 2014 and got our PR cards effective till Sep 2019. I was an Indian passport holder when I landed but now I got my Portugal passport which is European and visa exempt to go to Canada. I have UAE residence visa on my Portugal passport as I work in Abu Dhabi.

I am planning to send my wife and child who are still Indian passport holders and having valid PR till Sep 2019. They will go to Canada in March 2017 i.e. 2 years and 4 months before their PR ends.

1. Will they face problem to enter Canada. They are still Indian passport holders as they did not apply for Portugal passports.

2. I want to continue working in Abu Dhabi and visit them every month from Mar 2017 for a week every 2 months. I will land in USA and take a greyhound bus to Canada to visit them. My PR card is valid till Sep 2019. Can I renounce my PR on the USA Canada border and enter Canada as a visitor on my Portugal passport as it is visa exempt? Can I enter Canada like this multiple times for the next 3 years to visit them? I there any reasons they could deny me an entry if I have been honest.

Regards
Reikiprince

reikiprince

Apr 28, 2015
Hi

I landed in Canada with wife and child in July 2014 and got our PR cards effective till Sep 2019. I was an Indian passport holder when I landed but now I got my Portugal passport which is European and visa exempt to go to Canada. I have UAE residence visa on my Portugal passport as I work in Abu Dhabi.

I am planning to send my wife and child who are still Indian passport holders and having valid PR till Sep 2019.

1. They will go to Canada in March 2017 i.e. 2 years and 4 months before their PR ends. Will they face problem to enter Canada. They are still Indian passport holders as they did not apply for Portugal passports.

2. I want to continue working in Abu Dhabi and visit them every month from Mar 2017 for a week every 2 months. I will land in USA and take a greyhound bus to Canada to visit them. My PR card is valid till Sep 2019. Can I renounce my PR on the USA Canada border and enter Canada as a visitor on my Portugal passport as it is visa exempt? Can I enter Canada like this multiple times for the next 3 years to visit them? I there any reasons they could deny me an entry if I have been honest.

Regards
Reikiprince

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reikiprince said:
Hi

I am planning to send my wife and child who are still Indian passport holders and having valid PR till Sep 2019.

1. They will go to Canada in March 2017 i.e. 2 years and 4 months before their PR ends. Will they face problem to enter Canada. They are still Indian passport holders as they did not apply for Portugal passports.

Regards
Reikiprince
1. Their PR does not "end" on their 5 year landing anniversary although that is the first date that is considered for them to meet the RO and they will have time to meet it so they should not have a problem.

2. You can enter Canada with your PR card as long as immigration doesn't bother you about it. At some point, they may ask you about meeting the RO and you would then be able to renounce your PR status and after that you should be able to visit on your Portugese passport. However, it is always up to immigration even with a visa exempt passport if they let you in or not. They can refuse if they feel you are spending too much time. However, a one week visit every 2 months should be ok.