+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntarily Renounce PR?

gauravbajaj25

Jul 9, 2018
My Canadian PR is valid until Aug 2021 but since we've not moved to Canada yet we will not be able to meet the criteria required to renew the PR.
Have the following Qs:
  1. Should we voluntarily renounce our Canadian PR or not?
  2. What happens if we don't renounce voluntarily?
  3. In both the cases, will we need to apply for a Canadian visitor visa for future travel?
Thanks so much for your responses.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)only renounce if you are 100 percent sure you will never move with your current status

2)Nothing given PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. Some people on here have been PRs for 30-40 years and left the country all that time ago and only realsied they were still PRs when applying for an ETA or visa at which time they had to renounce

3)Without a valid PR card you would need a PRTD to travel to Canada. Applying for same could result in IRCC renouncing your PR status unless you had H&C reasons for failing the residency obligation. You would need to either have renounced your status or have it revoked before you could apply for a visit visa

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
If you have a PR card just travel to Canada before it expires and take a chance that the immigration officer doesn't report you.

Then just lay low and remain in Canada until you fulfill the requirements to either renew your PR card or apply for citizenship if you're not reported.

If you are reported, then just put a case forward for why you couldn't fulfill your residency obligations and accept what decision they make.

Reactions: Bilkish

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Only renounce if you are 100 percent sure you will never move with your current status
I just want to echo this. All the advice I have gotten is that you should _not_ give up your status voluntarily. You have a right to enter Canada as a permanent resident and you do not stop being a permanent resident the moment you stop meeting the criteria. You only stop being a permanent resident after the appropriate legal process is initiated against you, and a legal conclusion is made. That due process affords you the opportunity to argue your case and ask for leniency. You may not get it - but if you don't, the worst that happens is your lose your status, and must start again.

I don't know how likely it is that a border guard will report you to have your status revoked. It's entirely possible they won't care; I have never had any odds quoted to me. But they have the option, not the obligation; they may not do it. If you are coming to Canada to settle and live, it is 100% possible that they will understand that and let you stay. No guarantee, but possible.

Use every honest & legal avenue you have before giving any up, in my opinion.

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
If you have a PR card just travel to Canada before it expires and take a chance that the immigration officer doesn't report you.

Then just lay low and remain in Canada until you fulfill the requirements to either renew your PR card or apply for citizenship if you're not reported.

If you are reported, then just put a case forward for why you couldn't fulfill your residency obligations and accept what decision they make.

Same case with us, we are in India since 2017, Pr expiry in 2022, can my son take a chance and go to Canada, can he sponsor his wife if not reported....

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Same case with us, we are in India since 2017, Pr expiry in 2022, can my son take a chance and go to Canada, can he sponsor his wife if not reported....
Others can comment/ correct but sure if he has a valid PR card he could travel to Canada and take chance of not being reported. Obviously no way to predict but with card expiry 2022 may be ok just need take chance and answer any CBSA questions honestly but without volunteering anything extra not asked. It may be CBSA are more concerned at this time with COVID and an isolation plan but no way to predict.

As for sponsoring spouse advisable to at least wait until back in residency compliance before submitting an application given not doing so risks both an application being rejected and possibility of PR status being revoked. So will need to stay put in Canada until able to show 2 years residency in previous 5 years before applying to sponsor spouse He should expect to be apart for some time from spouse whilst application is processing.

It can be a challenge for a spouse to get a TRV although no harm in trying but TRV applications are often rejected whilst a PR sponsorship is in process.

Last edited:

salahuddin2

May 1, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-09-2017
No p
My Canadian PR is valid until Aug 2021 but since we've not moved to Canada yet we will not be able to meet the criteria required to renew the PR.
Have the following Qs:
  1. Should we voluntarily renounce our Canadian PR or not?
  2. What happens if we don't renounce voluntarily?
  3. In both the cases, will we need to apply for a Canadian visitor visa for future travel?
Thanks so much for your responses.
No point of bieng reported. The cic website clearly says that you can stay legally in Canada even if you PR is expired

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
No p

No point of bieng reported. The cic website clearly says that you can stay legally in Canada even if you PR is expired
You can enter Canada legally. You may not be able to stay if the agent begins deportation proceedings against you. If you are already in Canada, it expires, and you do not renew it, you are unlikely to have trouble unless you leave the country and enter it again, but you can't use an expired PR card for many of the things that require a PR card.